The Aqua Medic Skimmer Clan.

hi guys long time no see

can someone pls tell me where i can buy a new pin wheel impeller for my AM SL 1000 in cape town as the magnet is breaking

What pump is it specifically, I may have one laying here that was incorrectly supplied. Its for the PH2000 I think

hay guys i bought an OR ph2000 but having issues with the skimmer now old pump was OR 2500 with needel wheel new pump has the mesh mod any tips in this area thanx i lifted the skimmer with the new pump got my water level where it was before same as the old pump but its not skimming at all ?

Sounds like you need to drop the bubble level inside the skimmer if it's very wet, not sure how to do that on your skimmer, I've never had one of those.

my skimmer pump if very high almost out of the water to lower the water level as i think the mesh mod increases bubbels and water ?

Last edited:
whats your input on this
Deltec Pinwheel Vs Meshwheel

Deltec experimented with a mesh wheel impeller about 15 years ago, so this idea is not new.

The small diameter of the mesh does produce very fine bubbles as it cuts through the air, however there are also a number of disadvantages of this material which is why Deltec chose not to develop it further in a serious commercial product range.

As water enters the pump, the first thing that it comes into contact with is the mesh on the impellor. Any algae or detritus entering the pump can easily become trapped within the mesh where it will start to build up requiring regular maintenance - a thing that most people like to think that they do, but in reality do not. As detritus builds up in the mesh the ability to split the air and therefore the performance will drop.

Also, the mesh, by the nature of the material, is totally non uniform in construction so no two mesh wheels are the same which can lead to differences in performance from impeller to impeller.

With its non uniform shape it is almost impossible to balance which becomes even worse when there is any detritus lodged in it. An unbalanced impeller will oscillate which creates irritating vibration noise and the possibility of wear on the ceramic shaft and bearings which reduces the life of the pump.

A protein skimmer is about adding the maximum amount of air into the maximum amount of water to maximize fractionation and waste removal. It was found that even though the mesh excels at drawing in air and smash it in to fine bubbles; a mesh wheel impellor draws far less water through the pump than a pinwheel. This means that you get lots of air but clean less water. The reduced water can also cause the pump itself to run hotter than it would under normal operating conditions.

The mesh material itself has a limited life span in salt water and will start to break down over time, especially in the turbulent conditions of the pump housing with potential for becoming trapped inside the pump. As the mesh starts to break down the efficiency of the skimmer will once again start to fall.

The design and operation of Pinwheel Skimmers has been developed over many years and relies on exact engineering tolerances to get the best mix of air and water which cannot be achieved with a random mesh.

10/15/2008, 05:10 PM

my skimmer pump if very high almost out of the water to lower the water level as i think the mesh mod increases bubbels and water ?
As far as I'm aware, the pump needs to be lower in the water in order to have some pressure above it in order to perform better. Is there no other way of adjusting the water level inside the skimmer?
whats your input on this
I have a mesh wheel impellor, it's nice but I don't like it, it can clog up very easily, it wears out so needs to be changed which is an unnecessary cost, it's very uneven, and it sucks really badly that my pump sits inside my skimmer so whenever the meshwheel needs to be checked I have to remove the entire skimmer out of the sump, dismantle the whole bottom of the skimmer, remove the venturi and take the pump out, just to clean the impellor, my advice, stick to a pinwheel or needlewheel, there is absolutely nothing wrong with those designs, they have been researched and perfected over the years, they are virtually maintenance free and work perfectly. In my honest opinion, mesh wheels work, but the inevitable replacement costs and high maintenance costs are a major negative factor for me. My old 19voetsak TS3 skimmer runs off two needlewheel pumps, it's the bees knees, really it is, I never have to open up the pumps, unless a small snail gets stuck there, they just work and they work extremely well.

As far as I'm aware, the pump needs to be lower in the water in order to have some pressure above it in order to perform better. Is there no other way of adjusting the water level inside the skimmer?
I have a mesh wheel impellor, it's nice but I don't like it, it can clog up very easily, it wears out so needs to be changed which is an unnecessary cost, it's very uneven, and it sucks really badly that my pump sits inside my skimmer so whenever the meshwheel needs to be checked I have to remove the entire skimmer out of the sump, dismantle the whole bottom of the skimmer, remove the venturi and take the pump out, just to clean the impellor, my advice, stick to a pinwheel or needlewheel, there is absolutely nothing wrong with those designs, they have been researched and perfected over the years, they are virtually maintenance free and work perfectly. In my honest opinion, mesh wheels work, but the inevitable replacement costs and high maintenance costs are a major negative factor for me. My old 19voetsak TS3 skimmer runs off two needlewheel pumps, it's the bees knees, really it is, I never have to open up the pumps, unless a small snail gets stuck there, they just work and they work extremely well.

wow shame bud thats a real pain lucky mine is not inside my skimmer

i must admit ive seen an improvement in skimate with the mesh wheel

Aqua Medic Blue 500 Protein Skimmer

:)Hi guys I am interested in an Aqua Medic Blue 500 Protein Skimmer to add my 2ft sump refugium for my 30 gallon main display. Can someone tell me about this skimmer and how well or not it will work in this application. Thanks

Hay guys would like to know how does the Am sl 1000 compare to any other newer skimmer with the same rating I don't have any issues with mine but would it be good to buy a newer skimmer with the same rating or a was of money ?

I would like to know what peoples opinion is on the "old" (I see its still readily available via Aquamedic and other retailers) Turboflotor 5000 Series protein skimmer. Its the Taaaaaaaaall Twin, not to be confused with the baby etc etc

Here is a link to it for clarity Turboflotor 5000 Twin Aqua Medic

Are these skimmers still doing their job, are they correctly rated? (1325 Gal or 5000L)

Back
Top Bottom