The after disaster 650 gallon(2500l)build

Discussion in 'Supersized Tanks' started by IvanW, 6 Apr 2016.

1. IvanW

IvanW

The after disaster 650 gallon build
    A while back I posted about the disaster I had with my 650 gallon system.Please forgive me for not posting in metric,I have been out of SA for 26 years and changing from metric to US is too time consuming for me, not to say confusing, I still battle with this US system.
    Just a little background about myself for any interested.I grew up in Johannesburg,worked there had businesses there and got married there.As I said earlier I have been in the US for 26 years and live in Irvine California about 20 minutes from the cold Pacific ocean,where I go beach diving with a bunch of guys and girls just about every Saturday morning.The tank you see below was up and running for just over a year when the front panel came loose because of poor manufacture,causing all that water,which is deemed black water to flood the house.we were in a hotel for about 4 months while our newly remodeled home was torn apart and redone.
    I have recently taken delivery of another tank of the same size,by another manufacturer out of Texas,and am in the process of rebuilding it.

It is about one week short of 2 years since disaster struck.This is of course a whole other story.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just took delivery of a new custom built tank from AGE (Acrylic and Glass Exhibits) out of Garland Texas.
    [​IMG]
    First off it is an awesome tank well built and very nicely put together. Doing business with them was effortless and an absolute pleasure. The tank was shipped to California where I had to pick it up, as too big for a home delivery. I arranged to pick it up on a Friday and had a bunch of guys from the club (SCMAS) come over on the Saturday to help get it into the house.
    [​IMG]
    A huge thanks to the people that came to help as well as the guys who kindly lent me their professional glass suction cups.
    Tank was well crated in a really heavy duty pallet structure. The truck was about two inches higher than the stand and after lifting it off of the pallet onto the truck bed it was really not difficult to get it onto the stand. The tank is really heavy as it is 96”x36”x30”, 450 gallons of ¾” Starfire glass and a 1” PVC base. The steel stand was mounted and zip tied to a few furniture dollies and was taken into the house and set in place with really very little effort.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now of course the fun begins....plumbing,new pumps,Oceans Motion and so it goes.
    I hope I as well as those who are going to follow (or is that wishful thinking) will find this useful

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE (under construction),200 gallon sump, Reeflo Black Fin 6000 return pump,PM Balistic Skimmer.Tunze 6155 stream pumps,AI Sol blue's,Apex contoller.

The tank is drilled for a closed loop system.
    [​IMG]

Tokolosh 420 likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. IvanW

IvanW Thread Starter

Some of the inside plumbing roughed in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The sump system is outside housed in a 17ft cabinet(you can see it in the first few pictures).

4. IvanW

IvanW Thread Starter

Got to do some work on the system today,as I was away on a boat dive yesterday.One gets such a different perspective on the ocean currents fish etc when you see it from a fishes view.
    Cleaned out the cabinet that houses the sump system as well as the sump,it was not as gross as I had anticipated since I have not really touched it for 2 years.Well it is clean now,and cabinet needs to be wiped down with bleach and painted,all these things I was going to do before will now finally get done, so if it takes an extra week or so before I do rock work and fill so be it.
    New pumps should be in tomorrow and Oceans Motion later in the week.

5. IvanW

IvanW Thread Starter

I finally got the pumps in,kept missing the Fedex guy.It looks like a nice small pump,the only thing is it looks like it has a plastic impeller shaft,although I have not opened it up. I will have to see how it performs and in a few months maybe upgrade to a Red Dragon or Abyzz.I am interested to see the new Vertex pump that is supposed to be coming out soon.
    [​IMG]

6. IvanW

IvanW Thread Starter

Today I am feeling the aches and pains,keep forgetting I am not 21 anymore,who needs the gym when you have a reef and its equipment to look after.
    I managed to make some headway this weekend,painted out the inside of the sump cabinet,got more paint on me than on the inside.Started to re pipe the sump plumbing...is there no end to buying fittings,I have boxes of them and spent a small fortune on others and still have to buy more, must have about $400-$500 in plumbing parts alone.Still waiting on the Oceans Motion contraption, should be arriving today.Once I have all the pipes roughed in then I can install them permanently.Hopefully will be done by the weekend,that's if work does not get in the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is pretty much where I am up to at this time.As I will be out of town this weekend I will only be able to start the rock work on the weekend of the 16th.I will try keep this up dated on a regular basis.
    Thanks for looking.

7. IvanW

IvanW Thread Starter

I did not see that that there is a forum for larger tanks,Mods if you can move this thread over that would be great. Thanks.

8. Nella

Nella

nicely done..... :thumbup1:
    are you going to do a reef tank or fish only?
    think I will be a divorced man if my tank have to split open like that! :confused:

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Done

Looks like a fantastic build you got there. See you got the Ocean Motion unit fitted. Those Maxxflex pipes are not that freely available in South Africa and we hardly see any system using them.

10. IvanW

IvanW Thread Starter

The flex pipes are used mainly for spas. They are great if you need to get them in to places that do not go in straight lines I will take some pics tomorrow and show you what I mean.
    Tank is going to be a mixed reef.

11. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Following with interest. Nice big tank, lots of space to work with.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yip.
    That is basically the only place I've seen them in use in South Africa. 2 seater Spa Baths. Bigger Jacuzzi baths uses normal 50mm PVC.

Recent Posts