That dam bristle star!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Falcon, 17 Nov 2008.

1. Falcon

Falcon

Hennie gave me a lovely little sarcophyton frag along with an accro and my euphylia frag....so anyway i put it in my tank on wednesday after acclimation etc and then later that night i secured it to a piece of live rock with some putty...

on friday morning on my way to work i noticed that it had become dettached and was sitting on my substrate but it had a nice grip and had nice full PE,so did not think much of it and went to work thinking i'll sort it out when I get home at night...

When i got home at lunch time I cant find it and guess what,that dam green bristle star is looking all plump!!!
    :1angry:

Could I just be blaming him for nothing or do they indeed eat any soft corals that they can stomach????If so hate this brittle star and i'm putting him up for sale in the classifieds as that LEATHER was much more valuable to me than some bristle star.....:mumbles:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. cybervic

cybervic

Green bristle stars is notorious fish eaters, never heard of them eating corals

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I have NEVER heard of any other starfish eating corals, other than the crown-of-thorns, and the chocolate starfish....

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

Brittle stars, will eat dead or rotting corals. Except the green death

6. Falcon

Falcon Thread Starter

that leather was perfectly alive and doing great with full polyp extension just a few hours before the bristle ate it.....

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

Weird Brittle star then :whistling:

8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Brittle stars are oppurtunistic scavengers by nature. You say it was detached, but with nice grip.... Meaning the base was exposed, or was it completely attached to a base which was on your substrate. What was the size of the sacophyton frag? What size is the brittle star? The Green Death is notorious for eating fish, yes, ony because it is easy to catch them whilst napping. What is easier than a non motile invert, and what could be more tempting than a non motile invert with some exposed flesh.....? Again the word oppurtunistic comes to mind....

Still not sure if the brittle star is guilty of eating the leather, not am I sure if the brittle star is immune to the sarconin released by the leather........... But I wont put it past them.

Furthermore, IF you have the Green Brittle Star of the genus Ophiarachna, get it out your system and keep it in your sump! Not familiar with your system, but I suspect you have some fish in there...... If ur avatar is of your fish...... They are next on the menu.... Surely a yellow tang is more valuable than a sarco, would you be surprised???????

9. Falcon

Falcon Thread Starter

hmmm...i have this brittle star for three years now....never had a healthy fish go missing though....When i just got it it was about the size of an average mans hand,then on day it just shed all it legs and only a small disc was left.

The "disc brittle" grew back its legs gradually over the months and now its around the size of an average hand again.I am convinced he ate the sarcophyton as he had a bulge and just googled it now and it is of the ophiarachna genus.I do have a yellow tang also for three years but i'm taking your advice on this one as I now believe he was maybe just not big enough to catch my fish but he'll probably be trying now.

Gonna sump him today....although havent spotted him at feedig time....maybe the sarcho poisoned him lol wouldnt that be poetic justice?

thanks irie ivan.

Recent Posts