That Agree Button

Discussion in 'Forum Usage' started by RiaanP, 23 Jan 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What is its purpose?
    How should we use it?

Originally the Agree button was brought in as a way to acknowledge a reefers marine knowledge. Almost like "reputation points". But more an indication that could be used by newbies especially, that other members found value in previous comments and suggestions from you.

So please, do not hit the Agree button when somebody posted "Nice pic". Original poster is the one that should earn the karma, not the random comment. There is no knowledge transfer, help or value in the comment "Nice pic".

Agrees given that is useless, will be removed.

You guys wanted a method to know if a members is talking rubbish, or if his comments and suggestions actually helped somebody. So use it correctly and do not stuff it up.

Else we need to change the Agree button to a Facebook "Like" function. But then you loose the value of the Agrees

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Express Reef

Express Reef

Why not have an agree and a like function:whistling:

4. Express Reef

Express Reef

and a dislike and .... this dude is talking crap button?:p

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

dejaapooh button for" i have heard this crap before"

6. Keanan

Keanan 2time

@RiaanP, I thought it was disabled? The part where it gave rep points?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

It is, due to being miss used.

But can be put back in action.

But at least the number of agrees somebody have can help newbies

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

A system should not be for " correction" by a moderator. If a member wants to agree for what ever reason then the agree should stand. It is the members privilege to vote not the moderators right to decide if the vote is valid.

It will be very disappointing if the moderators interfere with the people's vote.

9. Goby

Goby

i want to agree with someones agree when they agree on a post. can this be done ? :p

Last edited: 23 Jan 2013
  10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I am one that gives many agrees in here, but I feel that every agree deserves my agree click. If people are agreeing with pics, now that's just silly! I simply don't want to be treated like a child in here, get that from my mother often enough.
    I have no idea about the solution, I like the current system, but it can sometimes be used in an incorrect way, who is going to agree or thank someone that they don't like, even if they deserve it.
    Humans, with all best intentions, start up a system, and seem to always get things wrong in the end, only to try and fix it later when it's too late.

Rather have no agree or like system then.

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Well according to this, I am one that knows nothing, my rep and agrees do not match up. that's why my glass box really looks terrible!;)

12. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

@RiaanP Does that including the removal of rep etc for links posted from Google without the actual knowledge if what the link is about to is correct or not?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i dont AGREE here fully..

eg: picture of sexy girl is posted, first comment sexy pic... 1000 agrees.. this somehow goes missed by a mod and the person is seeminly seen as a knowledgable superstar in all areas in other threads?

I woud delete the pic and remove the agrees...

Whichever you choose.. if a system is abused then it gives a false representation of the persons knowledge...

Moral of the story dont just dish out agrees wherever but rather reserve them for pertinent and accurate information given...

its funny how we are allowed and even asked to delete threads/ posts seen as harmful and even just due to a disagree (and i have people that hit the report button daily for trivial bull) etc which are someones opinion in some instances and now there is a fuss about it..

14. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

BIIIIIINGO! Hence my question in post #11

15. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

maybe the agrees should only be able to be given after say 1000 posts achieved, then we know we have knowledgable people advancing the input power and status of newbies? Apologies for those who take offence but some limit needs to be placed as in the post limit prior to being able to sell stuff.

we are here to discuss and find a system that works then to go see what can be implemented with little difficulty...

16. RiaanP

if the Agree goes away, the total agrees given or received does reflect that. Removal of Rep it should. @viper357 should confirm.

Even on its own, if the agrees where given in correct contents, at least it is some indication of the value in comments from a member.

Then rather than putting an "Agree" on the post that says "Nice Pic" or "We need an update" why not give the original poster the "Agree". Who did the hard work? Why praise the wrong person? Similar to somebody giving a very helpful comment, and somebody else then replies "oh that could work", why give that second person the "Agree"?

To complete this statement
    If a member wants to agree for what ever reason then the agree should stand FOR SOMETHING OF VALUE

Last edited: 24 Jan 2013
  17. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

so on the tunze vs vortech thread who decides who is right or wrong? all points are valid arent they?

Last edited: 24 Jan 2013
  18. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Posting a link to a website without having the reefing back ground to back up the info you are linking the people to should not be ground for rep point and i feel that there is a member or two with HUGE rep/karma/agree points that do not deserve it and it makes a mockery of the whole thing... just my 2 cents

19. RiaanP

if backed with contents.

Just agreeing on a statement "XXX is better" will be removed. There is no value.

20. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

hehehehe!

21. Relborg

Relborg

i use the "agrees" as an indication that that specific comment holds value - will be a pity to see that go

Recent Posts