Thanks to TSR

Discussion in 'The Serious Reefer' started by Wes, 20 Jun 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wes

Wes

some call it school fees other may call it an absolute rip off.

Truth be told:

couple months ago i was looking at getting a Nissan Skyline GT-R, the newish one, when Nissan told me they want close to R 1 200 000.00 for it i almost fell over.

that was close to R 530 000.00 more than the rest of the world is paying... i personally have imported 5 mustangs into the country, ranging from a shelby GT500 replica, to a 2010 GT we imported in 2010, and the import duties were nowhere near that price... this leads us to question where do some guys get their pricing...

i know of another company who has sole import rights importing a specific lightning protection unit that all of the cellular companies use, he brings them in for close on R 10 000 and sells them for R 800 000, fair?

now what we need to be careful of is how suppliers adjust their pricing, mojority here in SA base their pricing structure on what "everyone" else is selling at.

the only sponsor, I've met thus far that doesn't do that with some of his products is Nathan from TSR, I've met him once, I've bought from him once, he's a businessman out to make money, but not to tare new holes for some of the interested or new marine goers...

THANKS TSR, a leading example...

Deosn't mean you have to push your prices up mate ;) lol

verniedlx likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shaunn

shaunn

i have had the best deals and service @ TSR Nathan is Like @Wes says is true businessman goes the extra mile for his customers @Submariner

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Monti

Monti

Yeah nathan is a real gentleman and has the hobby at heart.

Just remember there is a second reason that his prices are cheap (other than him being awesome)- most of his products he imports himself so there is no middleman.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2012
  5. verniedlx

verniedlx

Fully Agree! Everything I have is From TSR, and being a total newbie I was at first taken back by the near R10k entrance fee to the hobby (Nano System), but after chatting to Nathan before and during the acquisition process all has been great :)

6. mytank

mytank

Hmmm whats the bet on how long this thread is going to stay open for?

7. Wes

Wes Thread Starter

Why?

8. Junz

Junz

I totally agree, Nathan has the Hooby at heart and i will continue to support him.

9. shaunn

shaunn

???

10. Quintin

Quintin

Thanks for the post Wes.
    Love the T.S.R shop.
    Smaller than most of the other LFS but man has he got nice stuff at very good prices.
    Off there this weekend to talk to him about a custom sump but may walk away with loads more gadgets and goodies.

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

coz on masa its not acceptable to talk about pricing and stuff openly.

I haven't really been to a sponsor shop that has tried to just rip people off. Most do care about the hobby and stuff. Only shop that I have been to where they dont give a damn about the livestock and just want to rip people off is not a sponsor lol, and strangely they are just growing and growing.

Yip Nathan is always good. Great service and he always has some awesome stuff. I always go back. Thanks for not ripping us off ;)

12. Tremayn

Tremayn

The aventador is R5 500 000 in SA but it costs $220 000 in USA

13. mytank

mytank

Thats my next car :) --- But it will be in the USA :)

14. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

aquarium depo supplies the lfs's with 2 pricelists, customer copy with recommended sellimg price and lfs's copy with the cost price.... ive so many times stumbled upon the lfs's copy ,seen the cost and compare it to the recommended selling price in the customer copy..... even there on most product is huge profit margin that i cnt understand,certain stores are loyal and dnt sell by those recommended prices but rather a little above cost ,wereas ive com accross some stores selling it for more,dam ripp offs,

15. mytank

mytank

About my post - Pricing and the reasons why or why not different vendors are more or less expensive always spurs interesting debates. One's that do not seem to last on the forum because they either become personal, incorrectly stated or aligned to different agendas.

NOT! Saying this was your intent at all and I understand your point of view so don't get me wrong. I was merely sitting back and waiting to see how this thread was going to pan out.

Incidentally - you can get the GT-R with demo millage - 8,500 km for R899k
    I looked at a few....

16. Monti

Monti

Ive also seen the lists and IMO the profit margin is actually not that hectic- in fact its very fair and in line with most industries. The products often have to sit on shelves taking up valuable space, rent has to be paid etc etc. It seems south african reefers dont realise that shop owners actually have very high overheads, staff to pay and families to feed. It is a job for them. I dont know many reefers who go around permanently offering their services/ products " at cost" because there is just so much more to it than that (and why basically give things away at cost if its a business to you?)

It would be interesting to know what the average income of a reefer is, and compare it to the real income of the shop owner...

Last edited: 21 Jun 2012
  17. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

and that is the gamble they take when opening shop,it has nothing to do with the reefers.... so if a shop owners expenses exceeds what his use2,then he has the right to increase the prices but it would become a rip off to reefers to pay "his" bills???

i think fair is fair,but a rip off is just plain wrong dude,im also a business owner, and i have heavy overheads and yes the business obviously pays for it,but its because i dnt rip off my clients which causes them to return over and over again,making life a whole lot easier and increasing sales/profit.....imagine i was a rip off, damn i would be struggling daily...

jus my 2c

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Jun 2012
  18. Monti

Monti

Well its clear the definition of ripoff is a funny one. If the shop owner charges MAP, then hes not ripping anyone off... And most pet shops stick to MAP, and still have high overheads- the marine hobby is an expensive one.

Do you go to KFC and steers and accuse them of ripping you off, because, rand for rand Im pretty sure, their markup is more than your LFS. And out of interest, for those who complain about pet shps ripping people off so much- clearly the pet shop owners must be super wealthy and drive really fancy cars. Funny- the pet shop owners in my area- one drives an opel corsa and the other an oldish polo. Clearly not as much money as people think.

19. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

you clearly cant judge a book by its cover and besides this being:offtopic: i know some guys who is rolling in the $$$$ but drive normal cars and live in normal houses

but anyways dude,lets not ruin a pretty good thread but also to answer your question, YES most of our lfs owners do drive pretty cars:lol:

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Jun 2012
  20. CarlosF

CarlosF

Well just to get back to TSR went there to pick up my ro unit and left with 6 more items, nathans an awsm and helpfull guy will def be going back soon. Thanks @Submariner

21. shaunn

shaunn

here we go again
    @Wes

Recent Posts