tetratec ex canister filter

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by brettb2020, 5 Feb 2009.

1. brettb2020

brettb2020

i was talking to a guy at my LFS. we spoke for about an hour. he showed me all there tanks and what they consist of etc. all of them had a tetratec EX canister filter and that was about it, no sumps, nothing. and they were the most beautiful tanks iv seen. he was saying how good those canister filters are. my question is, are they really that good?

and another thing, they didnt have skimmers. he said they did frequent water changes, every week or so, so they dont need skimmers. can this work?

the tanks may look beautiful, but concerning nitrate levels, etc. i dont know.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Yes that system can work, but you must be strict with your water changes, keep very low stock levels and change the filter floss/sponges frequently, many nanos survive like this.

4. brettb2020

brettb2020 Thread Starter

ok great. im new to this but iv been reading alot, really alot and i have come to the conclusion that water changes is your main filtration for your tank.

so would you think it is worth buying a canister filter for my nano tank?

5. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Live rock is the main biological filtration in most tanks ans skimmers are the main mechanical filter, for a nano to survive with only an external requires some very well planned husbandry along with decisions made about live rock - do you wish to use it? if yes then you need to be careful what media you add to the external, live rock and bioballs/ceranmic rings don't mix that well. Also what do you plan to stock, you have to be careful not to overload with fish otherwise you will end up with fish poo soup in the tank.
    Have a read through the nano tanks in this forum and see how the owners look after them, nanos are quite an exact science with very little room for error.

6. brettb2020

the tank is up and going now. it has 4 kg of live rock sofar. i am just planning to keep a max of 6 fish, a few clowns, etc and maybe coral at a much later stage.
    what exactly do you mean by saying live rock and bioballs/ceramic rings dont mix that well? the canister filter im looking at comes with all filter media included. including bio balls, cermic rings, filter floss, activated carbon, etc. i have been reading the nano forums, reading them now infact:thumbup: very intersting

7. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

8. brettb2020

that was quite an interesting thread, i understand now:thumbup: about our nano's, you using canister filters right? do they have bioballs and ceramic rings in? how often do you have to do a water change?

i was thinking aswell, what about changing the bio balls in caniser filter with small pieces of live rock? or would that not work since the NO3 gas has no place to ecape?

9. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

I'm not a nano owner, but i have seen nanos working perfectly well with just the cannisters, usually with filter floss and rowaphos and carbon only, you have the live rock for bio filtration, so the filter floss will help with mechanical removal of detritus.
    Water changes 10-15% every week, also remove and replace the filter floss weekly.
    Keep an eye on your perameters weekly too, finally, keep the bioload low, 3 or 4 small fish will be about your limit.

10. brettb2020

thanks alot mike. im gonna go ahead buy and a canister filter. for now its the only thing thing a can do for better filtration. sump is out of the question:wave2: im gonna add a similar thread to the nano tank forums:)

11. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Cool, just remember that monitoring is paramount in nano tanks, you don't get second chances.

Recent Posts