Testing T5 ballasts

scubaninja

Achilles Tang
Reaction score
Hey guys, how do we test these ballasts aside from actually connecting them to tubes? got a 39W dual ballast i need to test and i have got no globes, its pointless buying globes for a ballast that doesnt work

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
You would have to load test it, best way would just to borrow some lamps to test.
No need to borrow lamps if you're doing the tongue test, just put a mirror in front of your face and see if your eyes light up.

Scuba, what about just using a couple of cheap 40w T8 tubes, they only cost about R15 each. Check on the top of the ballast, it should tell you what wattage T8's it will run.

HenkHugo

Copperband
Reaction score
ask kanga - he tested mine the other day... i hear his eyes still lightup every now and then :D

scubaninja

Achilles Tang
Reaction score
No need to borrow lamps if you're doing the tongue test, just put a mirror in front of your face and see if your eyes light up.Scuba, what about just using a couple of cheap 40w T8 tubes, they only cost about R15 each. Check on the top of the ballast, it should tell you what wattage T8's it will run.
Writing is faded;) dean did that one i got from you work? its the ballast in question
Posted via Mobile Device

animalia

Damsel
Reaction score
Test with a multimeter. If the needle moves or any reading are on the display (digital) there is power coming through -(for the faded writing) move the dial untill you get a reading (that is my way of testing - not an electrician)

A multimeter is not that expensive and there is always one lying next to the tank - to check if the pumps are working correctly - correct ligting - timers etc. There is always work for them. Just make sure your batteries in the multimeter are charged/new.

I really BITCH if mine goes MIA to the Garage or other place in the house with Hubby.

dallasg

Reaction score
Test with a multimeter. If the needle moves or any reading are on the display (digital) there is power coming through -(for the faded writing) move the dial untill you get a reading (that is my way of testing - not an electrician)

A multimeter is not that expensive and there is always one lying next to the tank - to check if the pumps are working correctly - correct ligting - timers etc. There is always work for them. Just make sure your batteries in the multimeter are charged/new.

I really BITCH if mine goes MIA to the Garage or other place in the house with Hubby.
if u doing it this way, always start at the highest setting then go lower