Testing and playing with the RO bubble blaster 5000

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by magman, 10 Sep 2010.

1. magman

magman

I thought I would test this skimmer, play with all the water levels and get a feel for it before I put it in my DT. I would really of liked a shoot out with differant skimmers, drip skimmate and see which sucks the most;)

Herewith pix and tests so far

out the box

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hows this for a pump

[​IMG]

I put about 70l in a 3 foot tank, check the water level. On this water level, I did let it run, then would switch of the pump, did this a few times and there was no draw back from the out flow being between 20-50mm under. I did evn have the water level right up to half way up the neck, and still no flooding back when it restarts.

[​IMG]

check the bubble formation in the cone, they so small you can't see them.

[​IMG]

This is still NSW, check the gunk on top already

[​IMG]

Now the fun starts, I went to the skimmer I got in the DT, I have been skimming wet and had about 1.5l's skimate, I thought I would pour it in a imagine in an hour it would skim it out.........well.....in seconds it just went mental, the top of the bubble column was just above the cone into the chamber............as I poured in the skimate in the BB just went mental.....obviously this is in more confined circumstances, but I at least thought it would take 15-30 mins let alone an hour

[​IMG]

so now I collected the skim mate when it calmed down and had settled a bit, poured the skimate into a 2L to measure it.

[​IMG]

While I was pouring the skim mate in, the skimmer just went mental.......absolute baboon, before I had finished pouring the 2L in, it was already gushing out the over flow hole (and this is after when the skimmer had settled again)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. magman

magman Thread Starter

This is seconds after the 2L was poured, I had the camera ready

[​IMG]

The 2L bottle was already nearly full after one and a half minutes

[​IMG]

after 3 minutes when it started calming down it had skimmed about 2.5Ls

[​IMG]

4. magman

magman Thread Starter

Obviously these tests are all under sort of closed conditions, so I thought to test it proper, I took the skimmate and dripped it in. Note all these tests are at this water level, with the out flow valve full open...

water level again

[​IMG]

Then to test it under tank conditions, I am dripping in the skimmate (only dripping 2Ls again, and after it has calmed down....

[​IMG]

I will update when the dripping has finished, then I will lower the water level and start playing with the valve

5. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Some of us have waaaay toooo much time on their hands:whistling:.
    Meeks is a bad influence on you:nono:. His next visit and you will be chipping your car as well:yeahdude:

Nice skimmer. I too have been eyeballing out a monster AM Turbofloater 5000. Problem is the bugger stands 1.9m tall, I'll have to modify my whole cabinet to make it fit.

Give us a report back once you install in your main system

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Nice review Magman. These skimmers really work well.

My only mumble with them is that they take a long time to settle. When we service tanks with them in we have to hang around waiting for them to settle before moving on to the next job. Great skimmer otherwise.

7. magman

magman Thread Starter

Damn, got home from my one daughters district gala, and the tank is empty.........bone dry, switched the pump off (tested it in a drum and it's fine;)), but don't know what happened to the tank, a nice crack allong the middle, near where the pump was sitting, but the pump sits on rubbers, and there was no heat......70l's of nsw all over the garage, I work from home and got all my work stock sitting in the garage in boxes.........damn, will have to sort that out after I found another test tank and the skimmer is running again.:whistling:

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hope you get it all sorted with minimal damage.

9. durleo

durleo

You are over working ur bubble blaster bru:)

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

If the tank was on the floor it might not have been level. This would have cracked the base.

11. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Well done fagman! I think im gonna lower my BB 5000 now in order to prevent the skimmer from over skimming when the return is switched off.

12. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

That Nossan really needs to be chipped hey :p

Yo Caig, I chatted with Greg and he still cant believe that my Beemer was sitting with his Gallardo. :biggrin:

13. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

I need to phone him and rub some salt in his wounds:lol:
    Has he asked for a rematch in the GTR?

14. magman

magman Thread Starter

doesn't flood, read the thread, I even tested it with the water level half way up the neck, unless there is a differance in design, or changes made by reef octopus. Only flooded or went mental when you throw skimmate in. Have you closed the outflow at all, by how much?

15. magman

magman Thread Starter

I have been seriously playing with this skimmer, I will upload pics later.

I lowered the water level right down to just above the pump, and the water level was that of the out flow, which is only about 15cm's. Basically the water level and bubbles were only half way up the bottom shaft, I poured in the skimmate, and the skimmer still went mental in seconds, pics don't really do it justice, it needs a video so that you can see it pulling the skimmate out in seconds.
    It skims the water completly to the point where it stops skimming in a minute or two.

I did drip the skimmate in, and it does skim it a bit drier, I think this is obviously a truer reflection cause the fish don't all dump in the water at once. All the tests were with the outlet full open.

I think is what I am going to do with mine, is run it a 270mm water level, this will give me more water volume in the sump, I don't think the water level affects this too much, because I have tried everything I can not to let it skim, and basically if there is any skimmate, it gets pulled out no mater what.

I know guys did have a problem with it flooding after a power outage, if the water level is over the outflow, but I did see on reefcentral (sorry lost the link) and think that there was changes to a valve on the "S" series to prevent it flooding.

16. Scatmansworld

Scatmansworld

very mean skimmer,want to see your test results:)

17. Andreas

Andreas

Nice buy Magman:thumbup:Seems like every second oke has one now:lol:This skimmer is not as user friendly as my old TS4 but skims like a beast. I wonder how well this skimmer will work with the same design that the TS range has(the pipe that you raise instead of the valve i'm referring to)

18. magman

magman Thread Starter

Andreas, I think it's straight forward, this has the knob that you turn and it closes the valve by the outflow, it is very easy to control, I more wanted to find if there was an effective water level, but cause of the pump and air volume, any kak coming in gets skimmed. Cause of the fine thread on the valve, you can easily and accuretly control the out flow.

Is what got me testing it, is the water level flooding on the previous models, cause I want my skimmer in the first chamber, and I can't have it at such low level cause you waist water volume. Also I want space to work in to get the cup off etc.

Recent Posts