Testing and dosing iodine

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by gaboon, 9 Mar 2011.

1. gaboon

gaboon

I didn't want to hijack butcherman's thread, but have been reading up on iodine/iodide for a week now and the consensus seems to be that it is very hard to test accurately. I've been dosing the recommended amount of microbe-lift iodide for about a month and still not getting a reading on the salifert iodide test kit. I cant tell if I have other forms of iodine/iodide so what is the best way to safely dose?

I have a bit of chaeto and an algae scrubber in the sump.

My main purpose here is to improve colour in the SPS, especially in the blues and pinks.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Suhayl

Suhayl

One thing I dont play around with is Iodine, so once or twice a week is fine of Tropic Marin Iodine. Overdosing is the thing me scared of as it can have bad effects to the tank, so less for me is better. I read an interisting thread where the guy dosesnt do any water changes and uses just a skimmer and calcium reacter. He believes that the calcium reacter provides even magnesium, Iodine and all other trace elements. He has a full sps system and pics to prove his methods. Well this is just my 2c.

4. ChrisNell

ChrisNell

As a newbie SPS reefer I will be following this very closely . . .

5. brentv

brentv

Yip Suhayl, if you buy the right gravel for your calcium reactor it should be dosing besides the name 'calcium' reactor, your magnesium and iodine. Check on the packaging! a reactor is in place so you don't have to spend over time to much on dosing these elements! but it is expensive initially to get one, but well worth it!

6. Suhayl

Suhayl

Yip Im lucky changed to a Deltek PF601 calcium reacter(big boy). ARM is about the best media to use too and have enough to last me at least 3 years:) All the elements are inside the coral skeketons of the media that gets reused. Thinking of it im recycling.

7. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

I'm using ARM media, was aware it doses magnesium but must check the packaging if it contains iodine as well.

8. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Dose more until you get to the recommended level. Test soon after dosing, as iodide gets used up pretty quickly in your tank. Are you doing water-changes? Have you checked the expiry date on the test kit and on the iodide?

Does anyone know if carbon removes iodide?

9. Falcon

Falcon

suhayl that does make sense as almost all the minerals taken up by hard corals end up in the skeleton and this is what a calcium reactor breaks up.....although softies also use iodine so maybe not enough in sps skeletons?you have a link for that tank?

how does he control nitrates and phosphates suhayl?

Gaboon you can also just buy iodine from a pharmacy works out alot cheaper but usually also concentrated so be sure to test and dose a few mills at a time not alot as then you could kill stuff easily!

Last edited: 9 Mar 2011
  10. Suhayl

Suhayl

Reef Central in the sps section. "3 years old sps tank without waterchanges" Its hard to believe as Im a firm believer in doing water changes to run a successfull reeftank. It goes to show how easy it can be to run a sps tank.

11. Falcon

Falcon

well its not hard to believe from a balance point of view as i also hardly do water changes, maybe once a year.
    But still i only have two sps colonies and they are thriving and growing but not colouring up.i'm not concerned though as this is primarily an lps/softies tank and they are doing awesome with no gha,high nutrient levels undetectable etc but still not low enough to colour sps, hence my question as to how he controls the nutrients low enough to colour them up....maybe its his lighting thats good?

will check it out later thanks.

12. Suhayl

Suhayl

I have to go its almost 5, check out the the thread it Im sure it answer all your questions.

13. Broder

Broder Mudshark

If you take Falcon's advice, please get an iodine test kit as well. If you dose iodine as he advises, just remember that iodate will remain in the tank as the iodide is being used up. This can rise to dangerous levels.

14. Falcon

Falcon

yep test kit is essential if you want to do it,it seems gaboon has them already though.can the kits detect iodate mudshark?i was not aware of this and do the off the shelf marine ones not contain iodate also?

15. Submariner

Submariner

With that Skimz SM202 skimmer you have,carbon and algae scrubber you will most probably be losing iodine quickly .

If you are worried the test kit isnt picking up the iodine you are dosing and want to be sure just put a drop of the iodine you are dosing in some water and see if you get a reading from your test kit when you test the water.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2011
  16. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Thanks Mudshark, didn't know that. The salifert kit has an iodide test and a combined iodate and iodine test.

What is the correct dosage of iodine bought from the pharmacy? Or what is the best starting point? My tank is 600L

17. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Falcon, I only have the Seachem iodide test kit. But reading Gaboon's post and yours, it seems that the combo kit is available. So then, as long as you're monitoring iodine and iodate, I was worrying about nothing.

I don't know how to dose iodine. I have only used iodide.

18. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Any reason why you only dose iodide? How is it different?

19. Falcon

Falcon

i wouldn't dose more than 6 drops per week of the lugol's iodine(the one from the pharmacy)since it is very concentrated..actually a brown liquid. remember though macro's use both iodide and iodate if that is one of the reasons you are dosing?

20. Falcon

Falcon

just to add scientifically so far the only advantages we know for sure(on the basis of a few studies done) are mainly macro algae grow better with iodine dosing,shrimps molt easier with it and certain sponges and gorgonians benefit from it a bit.

Other than that lol some swear by it and others say its not needed so we dont have much more scientific evidence unfortunately.

21. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Would bryopsis also grow better?

Recent Posts