Test results!

Reaction score
Had my water tested today with the Tropic Marine Test kits.

Results as follows:
Salinity 1.024. (my R45 hydrometer gives me the same reading:))
PH 8.2
KH 6
Ammonia 0.05
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Phosphate 0.01

My tank has been running for 3 weeks and I'm going to do my first siphon and 20% water change today so I think that will bring up my KH and drop the ammonia and nitrates a bit. What you think?

Looking OK for 2 weeks. Still cycling so it will get even better

dont do a water change,you gonna slow the cycle down.leave it till your parameters are spot on,then you do the change

dont do a water change,you gonna slow the cycle down.leave it till your parameters are spot on,then you do the change

Oops, just got this now. Done the water change already.

Salinity was checked with a refractometer.

I finally got my Rio pump back from the LFS which has made a huge improvement with my skimmer. Say goodbye to nitrates!

It just luck that your hydrometer measured correctly, either that or there refractometer is not calibrated properly or they didnt take the temp of the water into consideration which is useally the case.

it will still cycle for two weeks plus minus( my opinion ). bbut dont do anything different like water change as it introduces other nutrients into water and reduces those good old bacteria, and gives you incorrect readings ( gee my nitrates are low) and then they give your stock that is introduced too early gas cos nitrates are still on the increase and the bacteria are unable to handle a bigger bio load at this stage, it is almost as if you start a secondary cycle of ammonia, nitrites . but it is cool to see thatyou are excited and enthusiastic give it a little more time.

Forgot to mention, had my TDS checked as well... 47:nono:!!!! Someone mentioned the Deltec membrane is crap. Think I'm going to change to the Waterboy membrane.

Forgot to mention, had my TDS checked as well... 47:nono:!!!! Someone mentioned the Deltec membrane is crap. Think I'm going to change to the Waterboy membrane.

How new is your R/O filter? and how much do you run off before collecting?

The whole unit is brand new. I ran it for an hour before I used it the first time. I spoke to my LFS yesterday and he said I should have run it without the membrane for the first hour before filling. Didn't say anything about that in the instructions.

It is a good idea to get in-line taps for the three pipes, that way when you turn off the supply, you keep all the filters and membrane wet, this will increase the life span of the membrane, just let it run for a day - or keep testing the tds until it starts to go down.

I'll try that. Just a pity my tank has been cycling with that water. Can I check the TDS of saltwater?

I'll try that. Just a pity my tank has been cycling with that water. Can I check the TDS of saltwater?

No, the TDS meter will pick on the salt, test normally for nitrates and phosphates and see what there is.

Also check the tds of the mains tap water - just to see what it like before you start.

I doubt there is a problem with your Deltec unit because "deltec membranes are crap". I have two Deltecs and one Waterboy - both yield the same TDS of about 10 before the DI stage, which is very good (My tap water is about 200).

Nothing wrong with the Deltec membranes, as far as I know they use Filmtec membranes which are rumoured to be the best.

I think your problem came in where you flushed the system with the membrane in line, you need to flush the pre-filters (especially the carbon filter) to get rid of all the carbon dust etc. before connecting the membrane.

mines in the 380 range too!

I think your problem came in where you flushed the system with the membrane in line, you need to flush the pre-filters (especially the carbon filter) to get rid of all the carbon dust etc. before connecting the membrane.

Thats what my LFS told me. The instruction guide said nothing about running it without the membrane first. I'll check again but I'm sure it didn't.

I should add that, having met David Saxby (the owner of Deltec) he would be mortified to hear his products being called "crap" - he strives daily to ensure that ll his products are top notch. Good bloke and awesome tank too:thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom