Test kits

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Snoek, 28 Apr 2014.

1. Snoek

Snoek

I have recently changed from Red Sea test kits to Hanna test kits and I must be honest I am shocked at the difference in the readings. I have noticed that there seems to be a vast improvement in my tank (sps) since I dose according to the consumption based on the readings the Hanna tests provides. I am definitely happy with the money spent on the test kits. I will be donating my Red Sea test kits to a friend but as far as the aqurassy goes I now really question it. I dont understand why this brand (Hanna) is not promoted or discussed more in RSA

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. sharktail

sharktail

price on the hanna test kit? and where did you buy it from

4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Hanna test kits are awesone but the price is insane. But they are worth it if you are looking for accurate test results. They give you an accurate reading where the others an estimate reading based on the colour change. For some purple might come a few drops later. Just my 2c.

5. sharktail

sharktail

ive got a hanna ph/temp pen not working and would like to get it fixed but dont no where to send it.

6. Snoek

Snoek Thread Starter

I am colour blind so certain colours to me all look the same. It would be against the rules (masa) to say where to get the test kits because its a very well known American site. E wrong........

7. Snoek

Snoek Thread Starter

Where are you based bud

8. sharktail

sharktail

humansdorp eastern cape

9. Blue Reefer

Blue Reefer MASA Contributor

Just say it @Snoek ebay, Jungle Aquatics sells them aswell.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. sharktail

sharktail

thanks

11. DerekL

DerekL

I also use Hanna for my phosphates but beware here in Canada there was a batch of regents the packets you add that where giving readings all over the charts. I believe it was more with Hanna's phosphorus ULN tester that they where having issues more with I will check in a bit on the other forum I am on and find which lot #'s people where having issues with. Plus if you read the fine print it can be +-.04ppm that with phosphates is kind of large and with the money I spent on my test kit from Hanna I would of expected more accuracy.

12. DerekL

DerekL

I hope that this isn't against the rules but here is the link to the thread on the other forum where some people here were having issues with Hanna's test regents for phosphorus
    HI 736-25 Phosphorous Ultra Low Range (ULR) Reagent Lot H 025

I would just hate to see any of you having the same issues as these people have. Again I apologize if posting this link is against the rules and won't do it again if it is. I just feel information like this should be addressed especially for anyone new in this great hobby of ours that may be seeing similar results using Hanna testers for phosphates or phosphorus and not knowing what is going on.

13. Snoek

Snoek Thread Starter

I only use the Ca and Alk Hanna tests at this stage. I am over the moon with them. As far as the Po4 goes I use a friend's Hanna photometer

14. DerekL

DerekL

Hanna's photometer do you mean this one? If so these are the ones I am talking about. I too am happy with the ease I the test as I find trying to match colours hard at times. But the accuracy of +_ .04ppm is just upsetting when I look at what I paid for the test.

image.jpg

15. DerekL

DerekL

Here is an insert that came with me test too you can clearly read the accuracy.

image.jpg

16. cbotes

cbotes

This post clearly shows me that my marine kit is suspect. Thanks for guidance.

17. DerekL

DerekL

It is the white reagent packets that you added to the test vials and not the green tester that is in question. I just didn't know if any of you his have been seeing similar results. So I figured I would throw it out there. This type of stuff helps all of us in this hobby. So please share even if you think it may just be you as in this case it turned out to be several lot #'s of Hanna's reagents that where causing issues. And if not for people questioning this on forums it may of just been swept under the rug and played off as user error. Clearly not in this case as several people had the same issue. We all know we can make mistakes but several making the same come on.

18. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

I've been considering those test kits for some time now with only the price putting me off... may e in the next few months. I'm very interested to find out how do those test kits actually work and how are they able to take such accurate readings.

19. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Well I have a Hanna HI 9828 tester. I too am very reliant on the readings. However I have been informed they may not be as accurate as I thought. But for me and the purpose I use it, it is just fine.

I had thought of purchasing one of the Hanna multi testers. C100 or C99 some years ago until HENNIE ( @Reef Maniac ) posted on the issues surrounding the reagents for sea water regarding PO4 and others.

It is great for reefers to express their views on these testers, but exactly how accurate are they.

I suppose the old argument of accuracy or consistency is relevant. Let's take a valve of 4...

Test type 1. Test results arrive after five tests 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5. This is a average of 4 "accurate" to 4
    Test type 2. Test results arrive after five tests 3, 3, 3, 3, 3. This is a average of 3 not very accurate but consistent.

So one must be carefully with testing. Consistency is not necessarily accurate.

Just throwing a thought out their....

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. DerekL

DerekL

I very much agree with you but for such an expensive test only to find out that it is +_ .04ppm is disturbing to me. Do I still use it yes of coarse I have spent the money already. Do I double check it with my salifert test kit yes. I wasn't trying to start a debate I was just passing what I felt was useful information to other reefers. .04 ppm is huge when it comes to someone trying to achieve a ULNS sps tank such as I. So if my Hanna meter reads 0 test after test yet I am seeing algae growth there must be some error in the test. Now I have tested my neighbours and brother water to see if the issue lay in my reagents and multiple tests of there water came back same readings yet different from mine. My neighbours came back .11ppm and my brothers .17ppm so the reagents work an I tested there water 3 times each and all same readings. Again according to Hanna though it could be +-.04ppm so there phosphate can be higher or lower. Would I purchase another Hanna tester like this one yes as the ease of the test just there are some reefers who want accurate reliable tests especially spending what Hanna test kits go for.

21. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Derek not wanting to start a debate. Look at it this way.

Some 40 to 15 years ago the hydrometer was the instrument to use to mix up your salt water. Then along came the Refractometer and the conductivity meters. To day the hydrometer correctly used is far more accurate than the Refractometer. However the Refractometer is much easier to use and is much more consistent. It does not necessary read accurately.

The Hanna checkers are in the same "boat" so to Speak. They are very easy to use and consistent, but not very accurate or give depth in range. ( this refers to resolution 0.01 to 0.001)

Recent Posts