RSS Terrible Advice Tuesdays (T.A.Tues): No Coraline? Clearly Something Is Wrong

Discussion in 'RSS Feeds' started by MASA Admin, 25 Jun 2013.

1. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

Terrible Advice Tuesdays (T.A.Tues): If your saltwater tank doesn’t have coraline algae growing in it, then your tank isn’t healthy.

The rest of the story: The hunt for coraline algae always makes me laugh as there are hobbyists who hate it and want it out of their tanks (*cough* Joe). Everyone else likes coraline algae and wants it to grow in their tank as soon as the tank gets wet.

The thing to keep in mind is that if coraline algae isn’t growing in your tank, that doesn’t tell you anything about your tank’s health. I’ve seen countless saltwater tanks all with perfect water parameters and there isn’t any coraline algae in the tank. I’ve also seen tanks that look like toxic waste dumps and coraline algae is happily growing all over the tank.

If you don’t have coraline algae in your tank, getting it grow could be as easy as making sure your magnesium (Mg) and calcium (Ca) levels are in check. Or your tank might not be the coraline algae type for some unknown reason.

Whatever you do, don’t freak out because coraline algae isn’t growing in your tank and certainly don’t reach for a bottle that claims to boost coraline algae growth.

[​IMG]
    Click here to view the article....

Recent Posts