RSS Terrible Advice Tuesdays: It’s Stinks, But Should You Fear It?

Discussion in 'RSS Feeds' started by MASA Admin, 15 Jan 2013.

1. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

Something I’ve done every Tuesday on my Facebook page is to post bad advice I’ve heard. *I call it “Terrible Advice Tuesdays”. *The whole reason I started Mr. Saltwater Tank was to take the confusion out of setting up and maintaining a saltwater tank, so of course I give the corresponding correct advice.

I realize not everyone is on Facebook, so I’m going to start posting the Terrible Advice Tuesdays post here on my website as well. That way everyone can learn from the horrible advice I’ve heard and get the right info. Here’s TAT #1:

Cleaning your skimmer’s cup by hand is not safe. Chemicals in the skimmate can be absorbed by your skin which can make you sick. Use an spray nozzle instead of your hands.*

The rest of the story: Let’s look at some facts first:

A.)*Absorption of chemicals through the skin is slow.

B.) While skimmate is made up of a bunch of different substances, there is very likely NOT a chemical in it that is so toxic that the short amount of time you come in contact with it (while you cleaning the skimmer cup) that it will be absorbed by your skin and make you sick.

C.) Wearing gloves while working around your tank is the solution if you fear the so-called “toxicity” of skimmate.

If you clean your skimmer’s cup bare handed (like I do), rinsing your hands with soap and water afterwards is a good idea. While skimmate won’t make you sick just by touching it, the last thing you want to do is smell like skimmate all day!

Bottom line: Don’t fear the skimmate, just wash your hands!

[​IMG]
    Click here to view the article....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

4. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

I had my first introduction to the charming bouquets offered by reefkeeping last night.

The earthy tang of of spirit vinegar and the delicate fishy nose of dried coraline and other critters. Yuck!

It's like an evening in Fordsburg - two scrubs and a shower later, and I can still smell it on my fingers.

I should smell it anti-clockwise, that will make it all bourgeoise and stuff.

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

6. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

So my ill-considered tong-tippie-toets of reef salt on Saturday doesn't count? :)

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:lol: Depends how cookoo you are?

Recent Posts