RSS Terrible Advice Tuesday (T.A.Tues): Blame the Cat…?

Discussion in 'RSS Feeds' started by MASA Admin, 13 Feb 2013.

1. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

Your cat’s litter box should not be located near your saltwater tank as the ammonia from the litter box (caused by the cat urinating) will get into your tank and raise ammonia levels.

The rest of the story:*While your cat might try to eat your fish by catching them, don’t blame Fluffy for elevated ammonia levels in your tank.

Here’s why:

For a cat’s litter box to elevate ammonia levels in your tank, the litter box would *have to give off LOTS of ammonia. *So much so that you would likely be affected long before your tank. You’d probably have difficulty breathing and your eyes would be burning if you got anywhere close to the ammonia-laden room.

If ammonia levels were this high for an extended period of time, then I might*be concerned about rising ammonia levels in your tank. *However, if the ammonia levels got anywhere close to a high level, you’d probably notice it and empty the cat’s litter box or at least move it outside.

Also, most cat litter products have an odor (i.e. ammonia) trapping component in them. Therefore any ammonia escaping would be minimal.

My advice: Keep the cat and don’t worry about the litter box being next to your tank. Or why not find the cat a new home…the litter box is taking up space where you could put another (or a bigger) tank!

Special thanks to Brandon R. from my Facebook page for his suggestion for this T.A.Tues.

[​IMG]
    Click here to view the article....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Get rid of my cats?!?

NEVER!

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Might change your mind when the eat you're R7500.00 gem tang.:)

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

:lol::lol::lol:

6. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

My cats are worth way more than that to me.

Survival of the fittest!

PS i'll never ever drop that amount of cash on a fish anyway. Horses for courses...

Last edited: 13 Feb 2013
  7. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Not a fan of cats they pee all over the place & have babies in my cupboard just to piss on my chips & I don't even own a cat. Left that darn window open but once she moved the kittens that window stays closed & the dog is on guard. No cat for the last year or so, I think the dogs had an extra meal but not sure.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2013
  8. mandarinman

mandarinman

[​IMG]

Recent Posts