Terrapins

Wetty

Tuned by Tunze, turboed by Red Sea
Reaction score
iv always wanted terrapins or other small turtles since I saw then in a tank many years ago.

How hard are they to care for?....and other advise pls?

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
iv always wanted terrapins or other small turtles since I saw then in a tank many years ago.

It against the law in most provinces

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Really? Whys that?

And in JHB?
If it is indigenous to South Africa - against the law, if it is exported - OK.

I think KZN, is the only place where you can keep local reptiles.

Wetty

Reaction score
No pics...sorry. But fanx for the heads-up guys ;)

Mtroboer

Chromis
Reaction score
If you got lots of time and some more time you could try and get a permit to keep one... Not sure if they are limited to certain institutions, but well worth a try.

Wetty

Reaction score
If you got lots of time and some more time you could try and get a permit to keep one... Not sure if they are limited to certain institutions, but well worth a try.
Where could i start to look?

Zookeeper

Damsel
Reaction score

To get things back on track.The turtles we used to see years back were in fact a North America spieces called Red Eared Sliders.Most of the pet shops used to sell them.They are banned because of the very real threat they pose to our natural ecosystems.They are infact now well established in a few areas of SA as a result of people releasing them into the wild.
Here in the Western Cape I know there are some living in the Stellenbosh/Sommerset west area.They are very colourful as hatchling but end up a pain olive green colour.You can still tell them apart from the local terrapins by the red marking in the side of their heads.

Wetty

Reaction score
To get things back on track.The turtles we used to see years back were in fact a North America spieces called Red Eared Sliders.Most of the pet shops used to sell them.They are banned because of the very real threat they pose to our natural ecosystems.They are infact now well established in a few areas of SA as a result of people releasing them into the wild.
Here in the Western Cape I know there are some living in the Stellenbosh/Sommerset west area.They are very colourful as hatchling but end up a pain olive green colour.You can still tell them apart from the local terrapins by the red marking in the side of their heads.
Nah...would rather keep an indeginous species