Urgent help needed tentacle coral injured and possibly dying

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Barlan, 19 Jul 2014.

1. Barlan

Barlan

Hi guys

i need some help/advice on how to heal my plate coral.

on friday night, we noticed that the left side of our plate coral was really inflated and that a slice of it had been ripped off showing some skeleton.

in the first image, on the left side of the injury, there is some slime, kind of like a clear but slighty dusty colour. the flesh on the right side looks ok for now. there is a little slime. the right doesnt look like it has deteriorated from last night, but only time will tell.

i have no idea what might have caused it, but more importantly, what do i do to fix it/help it heal?

i have read articles of damage to corals causing infection and killing the coral rapidly, so i'm obviously trying to avoid that happening.

water params are fine, checked on friday night.
    salnity: 1.025
    PH: 8.3
    ALK:9
    nitrate/nitrites/ammonia: 2/0/0
    ca: 410
    mag: 1400
    phosphates:0 - 0.03.

update: earlier tonight, both sides were inflated, the mouth was squashed closed. right now, the right side is still slightly inflated, but the left has subsided.

thanks in advance.

20140719_182727.jpg

20140719_185016.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

It is possible that high light, poor acclimation, or transport damage could be the cause. Certainly something could be eating it, but I put that lower on the list of likely causes. I don't think low CA is the problem either, I've never really seen any problems but slower growth from that.

If it were me I would move it into the shadows, feed it, and keep a close eye on it, and hope. If it starts to recover I would very slowly move it back into the light over a period of a couple weeks.

What livestock do you have in the tank?

Bad news is normally when these things start dying off they do not recover.

Last edited: 20 Jul 2014
  4. ozzie

ozzie

Howzit Barlan that is a plate coral and extremely difficult to save from there. This is one of the most difficult corals to keep in the tank and I have always said these specific species of corals should not be kept in pet stores. They need one small nick on there skin and they die. Normally get damaged in transportation.

5. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys, despite not being the best news :(.

we'll move it to a diff part of the tank and see how it goes.

does anyone suggest a coral dip with iodine or should we rather not stress it out any more?

thanks in advance.

6. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

regarding tank mates:
    2 clowns
    regal tang
    convict tang
    cleaner wrasse
    blue spotted cheek goby
    2 scooter blennies
    mandarin
    various clean up crew including electric blue hermits, snails of sorts, 2 cleaner shrimps and 5 peppermint shrimp.

7. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

update, i noticed that when my coral is puffy, it seems to release some kind of mist. is this some kind of defense mechanism? is it going to poison my tank?

the flesh is deteriorating quite quickly and i've also noticed that part of the skeleton is black.

does anyone know whats happening to my coral? is it an infection or a disease? you guys mentioned that a small tear can wreck havoc on these corals, is it normal to just start to disintegrate like this? will it release toxins into my tank?

i dont want to cause any damage to the rest of the tank.

please advise.

thanks in advance

8. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Sorry to hear that this coral is not doing too well.

In regards should you remove it? Well if it is in your 700lt tank I don't think it will make a difference if you remove it. Your clean up crew will make short work of the dead flesh.

I have heard rumors that after these corals have died a few weeks later a new one might replace it and grow from the skeleton. This has about a 1% chance of happening.

I guess what I am saying is leave it in. Maybe it might make a comeback or a new baby might grow out of the dead one :confused1:

Or you will be left with a cool coral skeleton for your macro algae to grow over?

I would not suggest any dips in fear of stressing the coral out more. This is my opinion though and probably not shared by many on here :blush:

9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

A bit difficult to tell from the photo's and I'm not sure if this may be the problem, but have a google for "brown jelly disease", see if that may be what is happening to your coral.

10. jimilutz

jimilutz

I also had a long tentacled plate coral that puffed up ( I believe they do this to float to a new spot if they are not happy). It crashed into another coral and a rock in it's travels and got damaged. The process of it dying was the same as what you are not experiencing. I tried to move it to a low light area but that just accelerated the decay. I got another one (not long tentacle this time). I put it in the middle of the sandy section of my tank and it floated itself around a bit until it found a spot it likes. I have had it for a year now and have not even tried to move it.
    I don't know if this is good advice or not but I would try and amputate the necrotic portion if I was in your shoes. I have not read any tales of corals with soft tissue infections recovering but I have seen many YouTubes of fragging and having the corals survive.
    On the subject of plate coral regrowing, I bought a Finger Leather a few months ago which had been attached to a Plate coral skeleton. Last week, I noticed something strange growing on the base, there was a small piece of flesh with tentacles. It looks just like a plate coral but is too small and in an awkward place so I will have to wait a bit before committing proof of the myth.

Here is a pic of the plate coral I have had for a year, not the new growth one :)
    [​IMG]

11. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

Hi jimi,

you have a stunning coral!

unfortunately after moving it, it deteriorated faster and is now dead. we moved the skeleton outside after realising how bad it smelt. :eek: like a dead snail... didnt want to pollute the water.

i guess its a bad sign, when CUC dont even go near it!

Mods can close this thread.

thanks

Recent Posts