Temporary Accommodation for my Corals and Fish

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Quinton, 18 Jan 2010.

1. Quinton

Quinton Smarty-pants Newbie

As per my previous thread, I had to move my livestock into temporary accommodation, but sadly I discovered the hard way today that it is less than adequate (see below for the gory details).

If anyone near-ish Newlands, Cape Town can offer a stable environment for some of my corals (and perhaps a few fish), I would be much obliged - please call 082 378 2800 urgently.

For the record (weep!) today I lost:

1 x Acanthurus Japonicus
    1 x Flame Angel
    1 x Sailfin Tang
    1 x Nomu Trigger
    1 x Goldie
    1 x Lawnmower Blenny
    1 x Chorris (sp?) Wrasse
    1 x Fire Shrimp

and a few others - too distraught to remember ;-).
    Pretty sure some of my SPS will bite the dust soon too if I don't make a plan fast.

Cause of death is probably a combination of poor temperature control, inadequate flow, and general lack of oxygen in one of my three holding tanks.
    Setting up temporary accommodation proved to be more challenging than I had hoped, partly because I have:

1 partially built 2,5m tank which needs to be moved so that the stand can be straightened.

1 broken 2m AquaH2O tank and stand which currently houses my sump, and chiller feed, which is difficult to replumb, but also needs to be removed.

1 loaned 1,5m tank which needs to be evacuated ASAP

1 very small house

Not a lot of spare time ;-)

A sad reefer...

Q

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac

Damn... Sorry to hear of your losses. Unfortunately, I'm too far away, else I would most certainly have helped. I'm sure that the many Cape Town guys would be able to assist.

Good luck.

Hennie

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator

sorry dude if you were in JHB i could help

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Quinton - I am not CLOSE to you, but I do have some space in my sump available - if you want me to keep some fish/corals for you? I have 2 x 1 metre tanks that act as my refugiums. I know that the tanks itself is not big enough, but, they are part of my total +-1600 litre water system..... Let me know if I can help.....

6. jacquesb

I am not 100% sure if my tank is ready for SPS though. Even though corralline algae has started to grow in my tank (I have a calcium reactor, and a reasonably good skimmer (even though it is running at halve mast at the moment - only one recirc pump is working)....

7. OP
    Quinton

Quinton Smarty-pants Newbie

Many thanks for the offer Jacques. I think I'm sorted for the moment. Have moved the most critical stuff to my old sump (which is still on a chiller, and has good flow), and will be taking the rest to Wayne on Wed.

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

eish buddy hope you come right..

9. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

eish man sorry to hear about your losses:( i hope you get everything sorted and most of all i hope you dont loose anything else.i lost a goldie and a sunburst anthias and it was really sad...so i can imagine how you feeling right now.good luck buddy;)

10. jacquesb

OK Quinton - no problems then. Just remember my offer stands.

Recent Posts