Temperature for local specimens

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by vincentputter, 24 Nov 2011.

1. vincentputter

vincentputter I love Nayn cat!

Hey guys! I'd like 2 know If I need a heater for local specimens in Durban. I collect all my specimens locally here in Durban/Amanzimtoti. My Pico reef's temperature fluctuates between 22C-24C, but is mostly at 24C. I fear that If I increase the temperature I might kill all my coral, macroalgae, zoanthids etc. Any advice will be sufficient.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chas84

chas84

I can't advise you on the temp question but would be very keen to follow a thread with loads of pics :)

4. SteveZi

SteveZi

Hi Vincent,
    I want to propose that you check out some of the websites that have regular sea temp info and try to keep your tank at the average temp. for your area.
    I usually check out the sea's temp on wavescape under the surf report section, but there may be weather-sites with even better info.
    check it out:thumbup:

5. finrott

finrott

there is nothing wrong with installing a good heater and keeping the thermostat to your range,this would stop any fluctuation that may occur. I would say a 24 to 25 temp is good enough for local species but what local species are you referring to?

6. brentch

brentch

I have my heaters set at 26, with plenty of locally caught inverts, including zoas, cleaner shrimps, fish and other species. I have had no problems with the temp. As long as you acclimate your inmates properly and don't put in any cold water spp., you should be okay...

@Keeganp has many different locally collected zoas etc. I'm not to sure what temp he runs his tank at, but i don't think it's at the ambient water temp of 22 degrees along our coast...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Evo R

Evo R

22c is more than fine for local species. Remember that tidal pools can reach 30c easily for an hour or so before the tide comes in.

8. vincentputter

vincentputter Thread Starter I love Nayn cat!

Thank you SteveZi! I googled the average sea temperature and the results are 20C in winter and 24C in summer. I think I shall follow finrot's advice and install a heating system to try and keep the temp. at a permanent 24C just to be on the save side. I also notice that my Trumpet Polyps and mushroom coral closes up when the temp. drops to 22C.

9. Nico Kortenbout

Nico Kortenbout

Hay there, I also stay in toti. In winter temp is pretty stable at around 24 in my house with no heating, however in summer you can have heat surges to about 28 or 30. I use a combo of heater and chiller to maintain 25 +- 1. Hope this helps :)

10. vincentputter

vincentputter Thread Starter I love Nayn cat!

Thank you Nico! I forgot to mention the chillers.

Recent Posts