Temperature Fluctuations

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by SynysterGates, 6 Jan 2009.

1. SynysterGates

SynysterGates

Hi All

For those that are running a reef, I'd like to know what is the hysteresis for your temperature? In other words, what is the difference between when your chiller has switched off to when it switches back on. Currently mine switches off when it reaches 26C and back on at 26.2C. I'm considering increasing this by a degree (2 degree F) so that the chiller is on for longer, but switches on and off less frequently.

What do you think?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

SynysterGates - there are huge fluctuations in the natural sea in temperature as well.... between day and night, and between somer and winter....
    Even on the "tropical reefs" the water temp on natural reefs can differ up to 5/6 degrees celsius between day and night, and up to +-8 degrees celsius between somer and winter....As long as the change happens SLOWLY! ANY QUICK CHANGES CAN KILL YOUR MARINE LIFE STOCK!

4. SynysterGates

SynysterGates Thread Starter

hmmm, so you're saying even with SPS I can have my tank fluctuate by 2 or 3 degrees C over a day without any problems?

5. jacquesb

SynysterGates - some people will disagree with me on this, BUT YES..... The thing is - they adapt to whatever we make them used to.....
    So - in general - it is stated/accepted that for SPS we need the ABSOLUTE MOST STABLE water parameters ever....
    I SCUBA dive - and believe me - the water over the reefs in Sodwana is ANYTHING from stable, and ANYTHING from nutrient poor - and you SHOULD SEE THE AMOUNT OF REEFS AND CORALS there! WOW!

I take my knowledge from the forum, and from what I experience myself UNDER THE SEA (what I personally see), as well as from internet articles AND Discovery World documentaries...... AND from DVD's that I purchase, and from MASA.....
    Believe me - you should learn how to "read" your OWN life stock, and take TIPS from MASA members - try things for yourself - and SEE if it works - if it does NOT - then return to the previous..... if it does work - then stick with it!

6. SynysterGates

I'll increase my hysteresis by 1C and monitor the tank. I'll also see how long it takes the tank to increase by 1C and then decrease back. It should be a slow gradient, but we'll see.

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Between my chiller and heaters my tank used to run between 25 and about 26.5

8. SynysterGates

Thanks Viper, that's around the hysteresis I want to try. Have you guys seen any noticable problems on your livestock with the temperature fluctuating that much?

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

The SPS will be fine. But dont let it go above the 28 degree mark and dont let it drop below 24 degrees. My tank plays between 26-27.5 everyday.

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

By the way, my this is with a chiller and aircon.

11. SynysterGates

Ok, so I've set my temperature to 25C with a hysteresis of 1.5C. That means I should stay within 25-26.5 with a 1.5 window in case the chiller can't cope with the heat.

12. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

What make you say that the Sodwana reefs are not nutrient poor? Not that I've ever tried to measure this, but I would be most surprised if the norm on those reefs is not very low, nutrient wise.

Have you measured water taken from the reef itself?

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

That temperature range is perfect.

14. jacquesb

Yes Bob - I have indeed.... nitrates was at 25 at the time with a TDS of 30... It was 2007 December when I was there. I took samples from 4 different reefs.... different times of the day.... Different days....

Recent Posts