Temperature change

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Elrond, 18 May 2007.

1. Elrond

Elrond

Hey guys,

In an attempt to drop my temperature it seems I've reached the 'lowest' I can go during day time, obviously lighting and pump heat is contributing some extra degrees.

During the day my tank gets to 27.5 Degrees and after a long cold night its sitting at 26.5 Degrees. Is it best to keep this temperature as stable as possile during the day/night or is a 1 degree temperature drop realistic in terms of natures change.

What do you guys do?

Thanks,
    E

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

i dont think a degree isnt gonna do much harm as its obviously heating and cooling over a lengthy period.lets see what the pros say

Last edited: 18 May 2007
  4. Bristlebasher

Bristlebasher

It depends on what corals you have in your tank.

1 deg is a large swing when compared nature - and more sensitive corals appreciate a stable temp.I would not be too concerned if this is over 24 hrs and would only worry about keeping it in a closer tolerance when more demanding corals are kept.

In the wild - extended temp increases of as little as .2 to .3 of a degree causes severe bleaching in SPS corals.

I keep my tank at a steady 26.8 to 27.0

5. Elrond

Elrond Thread Starter

BB,

thanks I wasnt comfortable with it myself and thought I'd ask you lot, you've just confirmed what I was thinking...

Thanks!
    E

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Agreed - deeper water corals need a very stable temperature, whilst shallow water corals, and especially those normally living in lagoons and in the surge channels between the deep sea and the lagoon are subjected to very large temperature (and salinity) changes every time the tide changes, and they thrive in those conditions.

Hennie

Recent Posts