Temperate Boyu TL550

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Myn, 28 Aug 2011.

1. Myn

Myn

Hey everyone. I'm new to MASA and it's time for me to introduce myself properly.
    I have a temperate/cold water marine tank. Its a boyu tl550 with a sump. Total system volume is at about 200l including the sump and system is running at between 13 and 17 degrees Celsius (winter,summer). The entire tank and sump is insulated with polystyrene and wrapped with a carbon fiber look, except for the viewing area. This is to keep everything colder and drastically reduces the time my chiller kicks in. All the piping is insulated as well.

The only thing I need to complete my setup is a decent skimmer like a TS1 (currently running an upgraded boyu nano skimmer). Will be getting live rock and sea lettuce to grow over the DSB as well.

LOL how do I upload pics from my blackberry?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome.. sounds like an interesting setup...
    im not sure how to upload from blackberry :) maybe @Tobes can assist us?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Myn

Myn Thread Starter

I see it can only be 225kb. Will post pics soon

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:..definately tagging along...I also want to go with a cold water Marine Tank..thinking about it more and more with each passing day...

Last edited: 28 Aug 2011
  6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

No, sorry, Tobes doesn't know how to upload pics with his BB :p

7. Benanna

Benanna

Sounds great. I also used to keep cold water aquariums many years ago when I was still living at home. My folks lived right on the sea front in Seaview, Port Elizabeth which made it quite easy. I am 36 now, so this was when I was still in school, so must have been about 12 or 13. The tank was very basic, glass tank and air pump with air stone feeding an under gravel filter. No lighting, only natural day light, that was it as far as equipment.

Live rock was readily available and the system ran for over 3 years with only small water changes whenever I had energy. The system thrived! I think a lot of people under estimate the beauty of a temperate water reef. More colourful than tropical, but the fish are a bit dull though, but kept Marleyi Butterfly's.

Can't wait for pics Myn.

Oh yes, WELCOME to MASA.

8. Myn

Myn Thread Starter

You'd be surprised to see how beautiful temperate marine fish can be! The ornate boxfish to me is the most stunning fish in aquaria and it lives in colder environments.
    Thanks for the replies everyone

9. Myn

Myn Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Myn

Myn Thread Starter

Finally got the pics to upload

11. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

This was on the Internet...I actually like the Wimple...pity it can get so big...it says Temp up to 28*C..just pity it's all FRESHWATER..I'll eventually get the Saltwater List...hehee

What Fish Species are Coldwater?

Last edited: 28 Aug 2011
  12. 2balive

2balive

Wow, looks stunning, love the anemones! Such an amazing specie selection possible.

We definitely need more of these type of tanks.

Pls do some close ups of the LS.

13. Myn

Myn Thread Starter

I only have a few anemones and plants, but will be getting more LS in December. I also wish more people would have these kinds of tanks because they can be truly magnificent.

14. Myn

Myn Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG]here are some more pics of the LS
    [​IMG]

15. 2balive

2balive

Wow, they are magnificent, I live in Cape Town, so stocking may be easier.

How heavy load to it place on your chiller? Summers here goes up to 35-40 deg, suspect I will need one major chiller and even an air-conditioner?

16. Myn

Myn Thread Starter

Yes Len you will need a decent chiller depending on your tank volume. I found that the key to keeping the system cold is not the size of the chiller but how good the tank is insulated. I had a 300liter complete open tank with the same chiller. It kicked in for 10min and kicked out for 2min. Just be insulating the back and sides with thin polystyrene I managed to get the chiller to kick in for 10min and then kick out for 10min. Saturday was hot here in Pretoria and my chiller came on every hour for about 10min at a time. I have a Hailea HC300A think its 1/4 horsepower.

17. Myn

Myn Thread Starter

BTW Len I love your HS60, don't those come with a chiller? See you have a hailea hc250. That will be strong enough to chill a nano to 15c.

18. 2balive

2balive

Yes, you would not be able to run the HS60 without a chiller. Even set to kick in at 27 deg, it comes in about once per hour now (in winter) during the day.

Would not go for a "cold" tank with a MH, probable go for a RedSea max with their 100W tubes. What lights do you run?

Just finished (still not entirely) my tank, so does not have the heard to convert it, will have to be a second tank.

Would be a stunning and different project, amazing specie selection available, but afraid my "it is a quarantine tank" explanation will not work for this one.

How effective is a skimmer in cold water, suspect you have a less of a challenge in cold water with nutrients than tropical tanks, e.g. things takes longer to decompose?

What type of flow do you run?

19. Myn

Myn Thread Starter

Yes would think with those mh you would need a chiller. These cold water creatures love nutrient rich waters. Almost all of them, except for green plants and some corals are non photo synthetic. Which means where tropical needs a lot of cold hard cash to buy good lights, u can use that money saved on the lights for a chiller. Lights are solely for viewing pleasure in my tank. Also more lights=more heat!
    I run the standard lights in the TL 550, I will be getting a TS1 soon. The skimmer does work very well in cold water and pulls large amount of gunk but this is probably be because of the heavy feed load of the anemones.
    I have a 2000l/h return pump from the sump, circulation pump and the standard 1400l/h return pump in the standard back chamber of the tank. Wavemakers work the best, would love to have one.

20. Tremayn

Tremayn

dig that carbon fiber :p

21. Myn

Myn Thread Starter

Thanks man its the best way to finish off the polystyrene

Recent Posts