Temp swings bad for corals or fish?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Matt, 31 Dec 2011.

1. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Had a reef tank previously and spent big money on an ugly noisy chiller. Thinking of setting up a small all in one for a pair of clowns (maybe easy corals) with the plan for it being really low maintenance.

I remember my last tank was rock solid 25deg. Now I don't want the hassle of all the equipment. If there's a bit of a temp fluctuation will it have as large an effect if the tank doesn't have lots of corals (maybe 24G nano with 2 clowns... and live rock filtration)??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I would say yes, temp swings could inadvertantly stress your fish and cause weakened immune system and result in disease.

As for corals I know from experience constant high temps caused major problems for my more sensitive corals.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

The biggest issue with temps over 27deg is lack of disolved O2 but with 2 fish wont be an issue

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

If the temp swings from 26 during the day with lights on to 24 during the night with lights off, then no problem. Mine did that and never had any problems with sick fish or corals not opening, etc
    As long as the drop or climb in temp is slow and gradually ;)

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Forgot to mention. when I stayed in PMB the power station blew up and we were without power for two days and my back up system was not operational yet.
    I manualy circulated the water from refugium to tank to sump and back. The temp dropped to 18 deg. The corals obviously closed up cause there was no lights as well. When power came on, the heaters slowly raised the temp and I didn't loose a thing, shrimps, corals, urchin, starfish was all fine :)

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got a 80L nano that have 2 clowns in it. Due to position in the house, the temperature swings are from 23.5 to 29.5. That is extreme and one thing I can do is to have the lid open half way.

But the 2 clowns laid eggs. In same week temp did reach both extremes.

Planning a solution to keep temps more stable. As I doubt is all corals would be OK. But a system with Zoa's etc found in rock pools would all be OK.

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Yeah, I remember when I was in Umdloti. The temp in some of the rock pools were 28-32 deg, then all of a sudden the ocean pushes a bit further out and the water of 18-20 deg, suddenly flushes out the rock pool instantly dropping the temp by 10 deg or so. It's natural to all life inside :)

9. Matt

Matt Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Awesome! I miss the hobby so much (had a 24G JBJ, upgraded to Boyu TL550, then started a 7L pico) but I just don't have time for a high maintenance complicated setup... Ideally I'd like a clown tank with a few zoos or shrooms that could dominate the tank. Hopefully pick up an all in one nano and use LED lights so won't need a chiller. Let's hope!

10. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Stability is everything, yes. Excessive temperatures are deadly, especially in a small tank!

With regards to temp swings, tidal influx of deep colder water is a daily routine to which all lifeforms are accustomed and I suspect greatly benefit from. It is however of paramount importance to remember that tidal / cold water influx occurs on a stable timed cycle.
    I have an idea.....

11. 2balive

2balive

Sometime worried that my tank "continuously" swing between 26 and 27 deg in the day (chiller and MH).

Would this 1 deg jo-jo have any impact on corals?

12. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Hardly

13. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

My temp in summer stays at a constant 29, my LPS hate that, softies and fish don't mind, but O2 and the toxicity of Nitrates could become a problem if you they are above 15ppm (NO3). Water has less dissolved O2 at higher temps, so make sure you have ample water agitation on the surface of your tank.

14. seank

seank

Recent Posts