Temp Issue

Reaction score
Hello, my reefs temp is sitting on 31'C. How can i bring it down without having to buy a chiller (As im poor this time of the year...). Also take into account my reef is in the center room om the house. Tnx

hmm u could try fans on the water surface small extractor fans found in bathrooms(NOT PC FANS) they should do the trick but it will increase evaporation so toppin up is a must more offten good luck it worked for me from 32'cto 26'c untill i got my chiller

Freeze normal water in 2L coke bottles. Place it in the tank. Do not open the bottle.
Also do not fill totally as the ice needs some space to expand as it freezes.
Have another two bottle ready for tomorrow.

Or if you do not like the bottles floating around in your DP, put them in the sump.

Hello, my reefs temp is sitting on 31'C. How can i bring it down without having to buy a chiller (As im poor this time of the year...). Also take into account my reef is in the center room om the house. Tnx
Do you have an aircon at your place Storm?

this works well provided you have at least 2-3 frozen coke bottles and as the 1st bottle thaws out place the next one in, this way you wont have your temps fluctuating, which is worse than having high temps in your display tank

the frozen bottle idea doesnt really work.. it barley brings the temp down .05 of a degree unless there are a significant amount of frozen bottles placed in the tank.. i have a few spare fans a friend gave me.. come past and collect...

If you have a scrubber, put a fan blowing on that, max water evaporation, many top-ups

the frozen bottle idea doesnt really work.. it barley brings the temp down .05 of a degree unless there are a significant amount of frozen bottles placed in the tank.. i have a few spare fans a friend gave me.. come past and collect...

leslie, thanks for the offer. But I wouldnt even know how to go about mounting the stuff in my room as space is well, a bit limited. Let me try the bottles though (Allready in). If it doesn't work ile have to c what I can do.

ive also turned one of my display pumps to the surface for more air to water friction/evaporation. So lets c how it goes.

Seriously the bottle idea will drive you nuts, its good for an emergency maybe.

A fan or two mounted above your tank is very easy to do and will really make a big difference to your temp. It costs very little too. ;)

mark i have plenty come get one or 2... storm the offer still stands.. take them and find a way to mont them i will describe how to do it...

I have a Coolmaster going in my room, its like a mini aircon. You topup with Ice. Dont think its working to well... Anyways les ile give you a shout if i need assistance, tnx mate.

I have a Coolmaster going in my room, its like a mini aircon. You topup with Ice. Dont think its working to well... Anyways les ile give you a shout if i need assistance, tnx mate.

i also have one and it does nothing whatsoever to my temp... whenever you ready..

I use 2 fans. Lifting the display tank cover slightly, one fan blows across the tank to remove some of the heat from the MH's and one fan stands in front of the sump. Both are on a timer and works nicely for me. Keeps the temp on a constant 27degrees.. :thumbup:

RO topup is a bit of a pain though... :(

The fans work very well. We bought a normal house fan (one of those silver ones, from click) and mounted it behind the sump. Brought down the temp with 3 degrees.
As a further measure we now installed another one above the tank (way above, as we have open ceilings) thats blowing from above the DT. this brought down the temp with antoher 2 degrees

fans are on timers, and it works pretty well
ice water in coke bottles did not work for me. think i would have had to put in 10 to make a difference.
Hopefully you have a auto top-up as may evaporation increased from 5l a day to 15l, but with the auto top-up it's no trouble for us
Will be bit of a pain if you have to do in manually...

Fan,fans,fans.....Thats all I can advise.Empangeni was 41degrees yesterday and my temp stuck below 30.All I have is a simple Game special desk fan pointing at my sump cost me R199.00 i think.RO is now 15-20liters a day,but who cares,my fish are smiling:thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom