Tekk's RSM 250

Discussion in 'RSM Red Sea Max tanks' started by tekkengal, 2 Jul 2012.

1. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Before I begin, let me apologise in advance for the miserable quality photos. Hubby gave me a choice between the tank and the camera so you can guess which I ended up with :lol:

I received this tank as a Christmas pressie from my Hubby and I felt like a kid again tearing open the box:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Building the stand; this was the easy part:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Putting the tank on the finished stand, OH MY FREAKING GOSH it was heavy! It was just hubby and I assembling it; and me with the upper body strength of a cat struggled to help get it on the stand!
    All the heavy lifting done:
    [​IMG]

I still needed to put the hood and skimmer in so left some working space at the back of the tank. The carpet helped with sliding it in place after the instal but unfortunately we cannot take it out. At least it helps with absorbing split water during water changes, right? :blush:
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentnorm

brentnorm

Awesome, you gonna love the tank. Question is, if you got it for christmas why you only putting it together now ? Mine hardly touched the floor and i had it out the box.

4. tekkengal

tekkengal Thread Starter Moderator

So that was December. In January I got 20kgs base rock and 20kgs live rock, filled the tank and left it running just like that. Personal reasons caused me to leave it alone for 6 months (much to the dismay of @shiks because he really wanted to see this tank up and running).

I finally got out of my slump in at the beginning of June and added the aragonite. Learning from the mistakes of my little nano, this time I made sure that the rocks at the bottom of the pile would not be placed on the substrate. I layered the base rock at the bottom, poured in the aragonite and then added the LR above.

Have to restart the pc. Microsucks product is acting faulty. Will continue in a bit.
    Ok, PC problems resolved (use Firefox people!!!) let me continue.
    After tossing the arag in, I let the tank cycle a bit more, and added some special blend. I didn't clean the glass in this time and ended up with the tank looking like this:
    [​IMG]

I subsequently clean up the tank glass and even tried my hand at rockscaping.
    Top of the tank (nearly dropped my phone in, you guys are so brave when taking this shot!)
    [​IMG]

RHS (dining room table is in the way so was a little awkward taking this angleshot)
    [​IMG]

LHS
    [​IMG]

FTS
    [​IMG]

FTS with just house lighting
    [​IMG]

There are some nice caves created for fish that will eventually inhabit the tank. I will try and take some tomorrow if I get a chance.

So that is where I am right now. I did a 50% water change this last weekend, going to check my water params this weekend. I took it slowly up until now, I'm not going to gunshot into mass adding fish just yet :p
    I'm going to stock coral slowly over the course of this month and see how the tank handles it. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. brentnorm

brentnorm

lol, sorry to hear about the personals. your tank is probably well cycled though. Get a Mac, you will never have to deal with Microsucks again.

6. tekkengal

Thanks man :) Definitely loving this tank!

We assembled the tank in December and it was cycling up until June. At least I know that there are no hitchhikers left (I hope)!

lol dude! You are too fast for me!
    I got a Mac, Hubby for some unknown reason to me loaded Windows 7 on it. Just rebooted in the Mac OS so I can now continue posting properly, lol!

Last edited: 2 Jul 2012
  7. brentnorm

brentnorm

Only things I have added to mine are an Auto top up, dosing pumps, Vortech MP10WES and a media rack.

8. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Atlast it going to make its appearance

9. tekkengal

I also want to add those. Are you running a chiller in yours?

lol! Hope you have been well, dude! When is your tank making it's appearance?
    :whistling:

10. brentnorm

brentnorm

11. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Building should commence soon actually

What are your plans for tank?

12. brentnorm

brentnorm

BTW, Really nice rock you have there.

13. tekkengal

Good luck! Can't wait to see it! :D

Right now, I haven't decided what fish I want, I am more for the coral. Hubby wants the whole "Nemo and Dorry" theme; he was a bit crestfallen when I said that a regal tang is way to big for the tank :p But in any event, we will definitely be getting two clowns and an anenome (much, much later though). :lol:

14. X Faktor

X Faktor

You've got some nice lights on the tank. What is it if I may ask?

It's a nice setup and a nice size for a tank as well! I like it!

Just a note: try and make as little contact between rocks and rocks and rocks and substrate to prevent getting so called "dead spots" which can cause unwanted chemicals in the tank!

Other than that-slow is good! Looks good!

15. brentnorm

brentnorm

Tank is a Red Sea Max 250. Comes with 6 x 39W T5's

16. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Very nice! Glad to see you posting again! Good luck and enjoy your tank :thumbup:

17. tekkengal

Thanks guys! :peroni:
    I'm really looking forward to stocking this tank up. Going to get the water tested this week and if everything looks good I will get some coral.

I have some algae eating snails in my nano (Stomatella) that I want to move over. There is not much algae in the tank just yet so am not too sure if I should chance it or not? Any suggestions?

18. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Last edited: 3 Jul 2012
  19. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Looking good...lol nice long cycle period there!

I think it's good to start stocking corals before going flat out on fish...just makes the tank more appealing when the rocks are covered by corals rather than empty rock work and fish swimming around.

I would add one or 2 fish though at the start just to add some movement to the tank...those pair of clowns your husband was keen on maybe. ;)

Btw are you a gamer? Tekken? :D
    Posted via Mobile Device

20. tekkengal

Thank you!
    lol, I was just looking at the clowns that Wild on Pets posted; I'm just fortunate that is still a weekday and that they are quite a distance away otherwise I would have been there to buy two!
    Self restraint with me is lacking sometimes...:p

What gave it away? :lol:
    I'm guessing you are also a gamer?

21. X Faktor

X Faktor

Where in JHB are you situated? What coral are you looking at?

Recent Posts