Technical help needed

Discussion in 'Fish Only Tanks, Predator Tanks' started by RS250, 30 Apr 2012.

1. RS250

RS250

Hi Everyone
    I have just purchased a tank 1200 x 600 x 600 and a "sump tank"
    I have absolutely NO knowledge on marine tanks and need some help setting up a FOWLR tank.
    1. Where (Who) can I get a hole drilled in the bottom of the tank to feed the "sump tank"?
    2. Should this hole be 50mm with a pipe into the sump? Where can I get the pipes and grommets to do this?
    3. I have a tropical fish pump with filter pumping 1200L p/h. Can this item be used at all for a marine tank? If not, where is the best place to purchase a return pump at the best price?
    4. Where can I buy marine salt, live rocks, sea sand etc (good quality and price)
    5. Can I post pics of my tanks for you guys to give some advise on them?

Great site

Thanks

:thumbup::thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

4. nepellew

nepellew

Hi and welcome , the best is to drill it your self i also was daunted by this task and i actually managed to drill it and its not hard at all i used a pump to have a constant flow of water on my drill bit and use a cordless drill on slow speed and took it easy , Oh and you can get the glass whole saws from builders builders warehouse ,
    All the other info you would need to find out from guys that live in JHB
    Sweet dude;)

5. Mc

Mc

The hole shouldn't be at the bottom it should be on the side, unless you have some kind of overflow.
    If its at the bottom and theres a power failure your tank is going to empty into your sump/lounge.
    Maybe someone like @RiaanP can comment on the pipe size and where to drill the hole, he has a good understanding of these things.

Or you can try one of the sponsors, I know Idol marine in midrand drill tanks and I'm sure they are not the only ones.

Pics are always useful go for it.;)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I usually take my tank to Idol Marine and have it drilled there. And while waiting, I get the correct bulkhead fitting there and get the glass cut for the overflow.

If you do it yourself, first get the bulkhead before you drill. If you use 50mm bulkhead fittings, then the hole is slightly larger.

Standard corner overflow with durso standpipe or slimline overflow with ball / gate valve. Your choice. I prefer the standard corner overflow. Easier to get it silenced with a durso than trying to set a ball valve that can block.

Not sure on the pump you got. Check the shaft. If metal, then no. It will rust.

For your other questions, use the Google search block on top of every page ;)

7. RS250

RS250 Thread Starter

Thanks nepellew, Mc and Riaan
    In fear of the tank breaking I took it through to Pet Stop in pta. They did a great job, drilled the hole (with hole saw), added a "shelf" for the water to flow over, then directed to the hole.
    All the marine tanks in their shop are done this way although I haven't seen this config anywhere on the forum (maybe if I dig a bit deeper I might find more info)

8. Mc

Mc

Thats great hope this tank works out well.
    Will keep an eye out for some pics.;)

9. RS250

RS250 Thread Starter

Bit of an update:
    My tank is in the 3rd week of cycling.
    Got 30kg dead rock between DT and sump
    Got 20kg live rock between DT and sump
    Skimmer is skimming little wet but great, doing a good job.
    Tank is covered in green algae, its growing on everything, power heads, glass of the tank, LR, DR, substrate, its everywhere

Had my LFS test the water and then:
    Got my first animal, sea urchin (not sure bout the spelling), its LOVING all the green algae :):)

Cheers

10. Mc

Mc

Sounds like its going well, its always good when something looks cool and serves a purpose, like eating algae.

11. RS250

RS250 Thread Starter

Trying to load some pics

Recent Posts