tds

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by wookie, 27 Dec 2014.

1. wookie

wookie

Guys your input here went to get ro water today and decided to check the tds, i have been battling with gha and the tds was 043 and i have been using this water for 10 months now

20141227_112008.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. makharold

makharold

Same thing happened to me , stupid petshop ,I now own an ro machine .just make sure ur tds meter is calibrated and not giving false readings before u go argue with the petshop

4. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Yea told them and they tested came back as 033 so I'm also gonna invest in a ro unit

5. makharold

makharold

Best option call Marko @TheWaterboy hell hook u up .just outta curiosity was it the petshop in kings road Pinetown

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Yip it was will try get an ro unit next week

Last edited: 27 Dec 2014
  7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Any contaminants in the container can effect the tds, so even using the same container to mix salt and collect RO can effect the tds

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Take your TDS meter the shop and ask them to test a sample there. Please don't make assumptions, before collecting all the facts.

9. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Read my earlier post where i contacted them and they did a reading and came back to me with 033 ppm.

10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Missed that, but rather keep threads like this off MASA, it won't help and take it up with the owner.

11. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

I did take it up with the owner who by the way is a friend, the point of my post was to ascertain whether the high tds is the cause of gha that I'm battling with, I'm running anti phos In a reactor, algae scrubber lowered lighting etc etc etc. Just trying to get to the bottom this and not to slate any lfs off...

12. JS

JS

Its sad that on MASA no matter how clear you think you are with your post...and even though you have no bad intentions etc...someone will always find fault and think you are attacking them...and the LFS..i think your post was super clear...

Just my 2c...ive personally used RO that had higher TDS readings than that with no algae issues....have you checked everything else? Phos and nitrate? What lights are you running?

13. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

@JS just changed my lighting new t5 quad 54w running 2 aqua medic reef white 15k and 2 atinic blue was running i3 white and 1 blue but took one white out and refitted the blue back. No3 is nil and Phosphates are zero but that could be due to the algae.

14. JS

JS

That all sounds good. Maybe just some stuff leachibg out your rocks etc...i had nuusance algae for about a month and it then just slowly started dying off...have you tried raising magnesium slightly?

Getting your own ro unit is a great addition to any syste....maybe it is your problem...

How old is your system?

15. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

System going on for 11 months now after it had cycled am raising mag at the moment am sitting at 1320 as of yesterday when i last tested. Calcium 400 alk 8.0 ph 8.5

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Your TDS pen says 43, they tested an came back with 33. Maybe take your pen with you next time you visit them and just for fun use it on their water and test with their reader. See if both give the same result.

also keep in mind to rinse the drum properly when you had salt or waste water in there. This will give incorrect readings. Again test the water at LFS before filling up your drum, and then after filing test a bit of water from the drum. See for yourself how clean your drum is. That might explain the 10 difference in reading.

TDS of 33 can cause algae. Depending on what minerals are really in that 33. Can be good like magnesium, or something we do not want. But I doubt that this alone would be the reason for GHA. Reading is very low.

Your lights could be a reason. Running 3 white would give a lot of lower kelvin light that algae loves. With 2 white and 2 actinic the water would look more crisp blue. Better looking for our eyes. But less light that algae prefers. Problem is that it is also less light for the symbiotic algae within the corals. Your growth rate will slow down a bit.

System is now 11 months old. When last did you replace all the globes?

Lastly, where did you get the rocks? Freshly imported? Or did you bought them over from another system being shut down?

butcherman likes this.
  17. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Hi @RiaanP lights are all new 3 months old if that, i bought some live rock from an lfs but lot came with the dt. The tank was a marine tank and the guy stocked it within a month and lost everything so put in fresh water and ran tropical tank, not sure how long it ran like that. I bought it and cleaned everything and then let it cycle and slowly added fish corals etc, after the cycle everything was mumba then gha came and that's where I'm at now.

18. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

bet those rocks are full on nutrients. Sounds like you have a number of compounding issues

Last edited: 29 Dec 2014
  19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

when I started out long ago, I also took over a tank. PO4 was off the scale.Previous guy started with tap water and used tap water for top ups.

After adding a descend size DSB, far better skimmer (TS2), and an algae scrubber plus cheato. Restarting with new salt water. It still took me another 4 to 6 months to leach out all the nutrients locked up inside the rocks. Had fuzzy light green growth even on the underside of the rocks.

20. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

@RiaanP same here bud am running cheato in sump and algae scrubber, change the globe yesterday to a cfl day light to get better light, don't have a dsb how would i start one as have to start from scratch, sand from the beach when the waves start but not from the upper water mark?

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you got the space for a DSB, its its cheap and easy to set up.

Sand from below the low water level mark. But be prepared, wet sand is heavy to haul to your car. And finding a clean beach.

wookie likes this.
Recent Posts