TDS Tester

CJT

Reaction score
I got a TDS meter just wanted to check do they come correctly calibrated?

Thanks Carlos my RO water gets a reading of 3 but the filters are a year old thought it would be higher the tap water is 106

I just checked again the water directly out the RO unit reads 6 after its been in a container for a few days reads 3 and the waist reads 110

Sounds right. Any reading below five is still good and 6 after ac year is great. I would think about changing your membranes soon

Which membranes would need replacing?
I know the carbon and micron filters but what about the two on top would they also need replacing?

And who would supply the membrane? I have tried h2o they ask about R1200. For one, is that about what they go for?

So with a TDS reading like this then it cant be mt RO water causing the GHA in my tank.

A few questions cjt. What ro unit do you have? My ro unit has 4 stages. 2 prefilters. The ro membrane and a DI resin compartment. Regular maintenence includes flushing the ro unit. Then when I start getting high tds readings that flushing the membrane wont cure I reolace the prefilters and Di resin. If I have previously replaced the prefilters I consider replacing the membrane.
Also what area are you located?
As carlos stated TDS of below 5 is acceptable.

Butcherman I am in JHB my RO unit does not have the flush option here is a pic:

picture.php

Flush the membrane: disconnect tubing just before last chamber(resin) and run a few liters through.

Watch for resin that changes brown = useless (yours looks pretty brown)

Step 1. Change Pre filters and resin
Sep 2. Flush membrane
Step . Check tds

If tds still above 5 must be membrane, change as well.

You can call Marco, The Waterboy, for advice or go to his website. It's what I use.

So is the membrane the see through one on the top or the closed one you cant see through?
Do I just connect the hose pipe to it and run a few litres of normal water through it?
Can the TDS reading change from day to day as when I checked yesterday I got a reading of 5/6 now I just made some more RO water and its reading 2PPM?

Yes the membrane is the top cannister that you can see through. Flushing the membrane is done with normal water.

Carlos/Bendor does this part make sense:

Can the TDS reading change from day to day as when I checked yesterday I got a reading of 5/6 now I just made some more RO water and its reading 2PPM?

Brendor I have not changed any filters yet I got the two different readings off my old filters still.
I tested Sat and got a reading of 5 then tested again got a reading of 6 then made water last night and its reading 1

Back
Top Bottom