TDS and RO horror story

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by noproblem, 21 Jun 2012.

1. noproblem

noproblem

So I have been having problems with both my nano tanks for a while now, decreased Coral growth and loads of algea, and dying snails. Tank maintenance has been taken over by my gardener /handyman as my health has become worse but being a stubborn person I won't give the hobby up. I must say he does and outstanding job.

I used to get my water from the aquarium but had to start making my own as mobility has become an issue. I have suspected that my under counter RO unit was needing a service but had no idea what was going to be uncovered. I tested the tank water with my new Red Sea Pro kits last night and was surprised anything was still alive after getting the numbers.

Today I looked on the net and called around for prices on the RO membrane and filters. Nearly fell off my perch!

Found an ad on Gumtree and called and organised a service call for this afternoon. Mike arrived with a bag of filters and tools and first started by testing the TDS of what was coming out before replacement. 550ppm! We removed the RO tank and all the filters and the membrane which he proceeded to replace. He was amazed at the water pressure to start with and then we saw why, some idiot [ previous house owner? ] had bypassed the RO membrane because the shut off valve was leaking.

So I have been using filtered tap water for two years! Then he noticed that the RO tank wasn't working as it should. We found the rubber internal bladder had ruptured.

So the lesson learned is if you buy a house with an RO unit installed don't just replace the filters which is what I did. Get the whole system checked.

I have received excellent service at a blinding price. The RO tank will be delivered later and the we will test again.

If anyone wants Mikes details please PM me, he is based in Tableview.

Hopefully my tanks will turn themselves around quite soon.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

WOW! Not even the Potch water is that bad!!!:eek:
    Glad you got it sorted without too much loss of life.
    Hope your health will turn for the better soon.

Last edited: 21 Jun 2012
  4. Andreas

Andreas

Thanks for the reminder. I'm way overdue with replacing my RO filters/membrane. Been meaning to do it now for months/years:pI'm actually to scared to check the reading with my meter:p

5. ScottK

ScottK

You can pick up TDS meters for under R200 these days, if you have your own RO unit it is really worthwhile having one so you can have the peace of mind know that your water is top notch and when to change your filters.

6. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

iv'e stated over hundered times on this forum that drinking water r.o.units should not be used for marine application.....for some reasons stated above....there is to much that can go wrong without you knowing.

question 2: what membrane was installed ?
    question 3: did " mike " add resin to the system....that rubber bladder in the storage tank will always leach po4 into the aquarium water.....that is why they have a taste and odour filter just before the drinking water tap!! the rubber from the tank leaches into the water and gives it a terrible taste.....so they use taste and odour filters to improve taste....but traces of po4 will still be present,

just some free technical advise.....use it dont use it:p

Mc likes this.
  7. Mc

Mc

Thanks for the advice Marco, I was considering getting one of those storage tanks.

8. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

don't get me wrong....you can use a storage tank (those pressurised ones they use on the domestic systems with the internal rubber bladder) however make sure you run the aquarium water through a t-eed line that passes through the resin after it comes out the tank.....i say , use the teed off line as its not a good idea to drink water that passes through resins as it may be contaminated by amines at any given point

Last edited: 27 Jun 2012
  9. Mc

Mc

What are amines?
    I never drink that water.

10. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

11. noproblem

noproblem Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Marco, everything was replaced with new except for the filter housings. I cant get into the cupboard to see what ro membrane it is. I know it is 50 gpd but that all, I'm waiting for a spine op in two weeks and will have another look when I am more mobile. Will ask about getting a T installed though. The visual difference in both tanks, three days after a 25 l water change is spectacular to say the least. I will post more details as I do more water changes. The Ro system was flushed as various bits were installed and I ran it for an hour before using the water.

12. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Sounds like "mike" tested the waste outlet`s TDS...

13. noproblem

noproblem Thread Starter

Mods, please delete this post.

Recent Posts