Tap Water

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Xereo, 9 Mar 2011.

1. Xereo

Xereo

Whats so bad about tap water.

I set some tap water aside for a couple days.
    and now i have tested the water.

NO2 = 0
    NO3 = 0
    NH4/NH3 = 0
    CU = 0
    Cl= 0

I dont see whats so bad about tap water.
    Please help me understand

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

What does the TDS test???

4. Xereo

Xereo Thread Starter

Thats one test i dont have..

5. Xereo

Xereo Thread Starter

didnt even know you got a test for that lol

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Tap water is not adequate for marine use as it has a high TDS (total dissolve solids), chlorine and many other nasties. In the short term you might not see a difference, but in the long run...

7. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

chlorine and the TDS .. Tds 0 is your friend

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Tap water is to bath in.

9. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Just a small ad in.
    Chlorine is quite unstable , so it dissipates quiet quickly , but some municipalities use Chloramines , especially in hard water regions.

This chloramine is more harmful than chlorine and takes MUCH longer to dissipate, but in the last 3 years or so i see most Marine water chlorine treatments now say for chloramines too.
    I’m not sure if a chlorine test does chloramines as well , but its still just one more thing one must worry about.
    David

lv and Broder like this.
  10. Broder

Broder Mudshark

As Tobes said, on the long run you'll have problems. In time, as you do water changes and top ups with tap water, you'll get concentrations as water evaporates and imbalances of chemicals until one day it effects your livestock. The organic portion of the tds breaks down into nitrates and phosphates which need to be removed by dilution, but can't because you'd be adding more organics with the very water you're trying to dilute it with.

11. jacoc

jacoc

Hi Xereo
    I have been using T/W for 14 years now and still do …back then r/o units was just too pricy and most lfs’s used tap water as well…a small unit then cost about R5000.00…and even today most lfs stores use t/w in their systems as when they do water changes it could easily be a couple thousand liters…now that could be pricey….I use to live in roodepoort and moved my tank to the eastrand 10 months ago and the water quality here is the same as there…when the rand water board stops supplying our water I suppose I will also change to r/o but until then , water on tap will do just fine… my nitrates never go past 25 ppm but mostly run at 15ppm…I like it this way as my tangs love the bit of lg that grows …and your t/w sounds the same down there in c/t where you live... good quality...I did get some hair lg in the early stages and even now from time to time but it never stay for long one or two weeks then it disapear again ...but then again my setup is self maintaining by now (small eco system) and the hairs grow is from the one light i have not phosphates or nitates...

Think about this..you don’t have to be a scientist…salt is one of the strongest anti septic agents one can find…you can sterilize anything with a bit of salt and water mix…now see how much salt you ad to a liter of water to mix for marine tank…?? I only done one water change in the last 10 months and before that my tank went for 3,5 yr without any and when I fetched it the nitrates was on 50ppm not bad …I do top-ups daily as my filter is only 15l capacity if full to the top.. but it might only have 5l in it as the return pump stops it from filling and the space it needs for the trigal system is half way up…so my retune pump start sucking air as soon as a 1l water evaporate….I do have a another method I use to top-up if I go away for a while but prefer to do the top up every night..Just some TLC every day…I love it…
    I bet that more people use t/w than r/o ….

Last edited: 9 Mar 2011
  12. jacoc

jacoc

Hi Riaan...but my fish bath every day you must see them clean and spotless...lol;)

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Get a TDS meter. Check your water first before going into tap water. In my opinion, never use tap water. Except chlorine, what else and how much of that is in the tap water. If tap water was OK, why would everybody else bother with RO units? Do you have your own CSI Miami lab to test your water so that you know what you put in?

My TDS for tap water reads for Moreleta Park Pretoria east about 65 to 70. RO is clean. And the waste reads about 170.

Also, NEVER put your TDS meter in salt water. Especially the cheaper ones. They cannot read past 999, and you stuff up the electronics inside forever.

14. Tony

Tony

My tap water has a TDS of about 120. My RO waster has a zero TDS reading straight from the outlet but picks up to about 60ppm once it's in the plastic container

15. Dane

Dane

Now this is interesting... I can't see how it picks up such a high TDS from the container.... Try putting it in glass and seeing if its the same. I presume that when its reading it from the outlet it can pick up the right value....

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And looking at your pics, you only have softies. Leathers and mushrooms.
    [​IMG]

Seriously doubt if you will have any success with SPS or LPS if you use tap water.

softies, think about where they are on reefs. Deeper down compared to SPS. So yes, they are used to lot of crap raining down on them from above. In fact I believe they actually like dirtier water. SPS like clean water, no phosphate load etc.

When I started, I "inherited" a tank. A few mushrooms, basically a fish only system. That tank was started with tap water by previous "owner". Tap water top ups. Using Molies to start up the cycle. No water changes.
    When I took it over, phoshates were always an issue. Fussy algae growth. Started doing weekly 10% water changes, added ATS, did param testing every weekend. After 4 months the PO4 was zero. And since then tank just became more stable. Algae growth disappeared. Not using ATS anymore. Not testing the params either. But I still do my 10% water changes using RO water.

17. Tony

Tony

I think it picks up stuff from the plastic and I also use the same bucket for water changes so it could be residue. I must try it in a glass container

18. Tony

Tony

I used to use tap water at one stage and it came back to bite me in the backside with a nice derbesia lawn. The only time I use tap water now is my initial fill for my tank then I use RO

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Did you ever had any salt water in the container?
    Empty it, give a good rinse with RO, and retry.

20. seank

seank

:whistling: :lol:

21. seank

seank

Speedreading again Uncle Riaan

Recent Posts