tap water ph 7.0

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by badbiker, 22 Apr 2010.

1. badbiker

badbiker

Hi

I m having problem with ph level .I mixed salt with tap water after 2 weeks i tested the water from tank .it was 7.7 I added full of PH plus bottel after few days i checked again but same result .so I tested my tap water it is 7.0 so need help plz

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane

Dane

Please use only reverse osmosis water when preparing your salt mix.... Tap water is full of nasties that you don't want to put in your tank!

4. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

It is law that the PH of tap water has to be 7.
    Here in CT in my area, the PH of my tap water is 10.
    Very bad.

When I take water out of the ocean, the ph is also only 7.8.
    Why dont you use RO water? I dont think it would change the PH, but at least its safe.
    Is your water still standing or what?
    Movement and aeration will raise the PH.
    Do you need the water for a water change or new set up?
    If its a new set up, are the lights on?
    Are you smoking in the room where the tank is?

5. badbiker

badbiker Thread Starter

Is your water still standing or what?

No its Circulating from tank to sump it has skimmer LR and Livesand

Do you need the water for a water change or new set up?

Its new setup

If its a new set up, are the lights on?

its on for 8Hours only

Are you smoking in the room where the tank is?

no I don’t

6. Pete

Pete

Hi badbiker as mentioned you should only use RO water as you are going to pick up some problems later on in the tank, which could make you dishearted and want to get rid of your system as the problems will not be easy to solve

7. LuckyFish

What is the reading of your alkalinity?

8. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Good advise on only using RO filtered water, and not tap water.

In your specific case, I would guess that the drop in pH is actually caused by your tank still cycling. As bio-material decomposes, it feeds bacteria, and the waste products of decomposition, and of the bacteria feeding on the nutrients, tend to acidify the water, and would explain why your pH is dropping. Do you have any fish or other live stock in the tank? If so, this dropping pH could also be an indication that your tank is heavily over-populated (if this is happening to an old, long-established setup).

The pH of 7.0 for your tap water is actually pretty good, and this should easily be buffered to a pH of 8.2-8.4 by a good salt mix - I would not consider this to be the primary problem (although as stated above, using tap water is really asking for all kinds of problems...)

Are you confident that your pH measuring test kit/instrument is accurate?

Hennie

9. badbiker

badbiker Thread Starter

Are you confident that your pH measuring test kit/instrument is accurate?
    Yes

i gone to take RO water but I found that PH level in RO water is 5.5 ?????

So my tap water having more PH than RO water and guys I didnt get why you are advising me to put RO water????

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

That is normal, and is not a concern.

The pH measurement is actually a measure of the free hydrogen ion (H+) concentration. RO water is so pure that it does not have many free hydrogen ions, and thus misleadingly reads quite low. Other than any acid liquid with a low pH, the RO water is NOT actually acidic, and even a very small amount of a very weak alkali (base) would cause a large volume of RO water to become alkaline. So, adding only a small quantity of sea salt would cause the RO water's pH to shoot up to around 8.2 - 8.4, even if the RO water appeared to be acidic before the addition.

When your tank water evaporates, it is mainly pure water that evaporates - most salts and other substances which came in with the tap water (such as pollutants, toxins, even hormones...) remain in the tank, and does not evaporate. So, if you keep on replacing your evaporated water with tap water, you will obviously have a gradual increase in these (mostly unwanted) substances. the same holds true for when you start up the first time, and when you do partial water changes - every time you use tap water, you are adding (increasing) the unwanted substances which could (can !!!) cause problems in your tank. I don't know how pure your tap water is, but normal "fit for human consumption" tap water could contain quite a high level of (say) phosphate, iron, lead (from old lead plumbing in the system), copper (from copper pipes in your house) and many other substances which we cannot test for - why run the risk of having problems with unwanted algae blooms and/or your animals being poisoned by these substances, if you can avoid it by using RO water from the start...

Hennie

11. LuckyFish

I dont know where you bought your set up, but if you bought in a shop for marines, you should change the shop as soon as possible. Nobody starts a tank with untreated tap water.

If you will get priblems in the beginning and you ask for advice, everybody will tell you, it is more than possible the cause is the tapwater.
    Hopefully everything goes smooth now.

12. badbiker

badbiker Thread Starter

Thankyou guys

13. Tremayn

Tremayn

lol when i did a ph test i emptied the vial in the sink and turnd the tap on to rinse the sink and the ph test thing went off the scale for ph! geez... only have filtered water since then

Recent Posts