Tanks delivered :-(

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by JuanS, 30 Jun 2010.

1. JuanS

JuanS

So I thought today I'd start a new thread regarding my new setup!!! Boy was I wrong............

Quick background: My dad-in law had a border living with him, guy didn't pay rent, they kicked him out and he left his tanks! 6 Months down the line he said the in laws can have it, he's not interested anymore. I had one quick glance at them and thought, hey, I can use these for my marine setup...........:nono:, dad said I can have them, good price......... FREE!!!!! One condition, I take it, lock, stock and barrel. WTF, who would say no? (both tanks about 10 months old)

1st tank (supposed to be my DT), 1.5m x 45 x 45. Not very high or wide enough, but I thought, it's at least a start, and at that price......... will do. It also has a over flow on the one side which I would have drilled and fitted a Durso.
    2nd tank (for the sump) 1.2m x 45 x 45. Just add a few pieces of glasss and there we go......

The Toppie was even kind enough to deliver the tanks to me. So last night he arrives. First thing I notice (could kick myself for not noticing it before) is the glass thickness........wait for it............4mm!!!!!!!!!! Yes that's right folks 4mm!

Is this even safe for FW????

So now I'm sitting with 2 tanks I can't use, filled with bath water, and 4 big, but butt ugly fish I don't want. I can't even begin to describe my dissapointment :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Eish Juan - sorry to hear, mate. Oh well. Next?

4. FransSny

FransSny

Use the 1, 5 for sump (the internal deviders will help to brace it . 1,2 for QT and build a new 2 meter:slayer:

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

sound like std daro tanks. they can be used as Frans said, so not all is lost

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

good score theft less 10 is always a good price :)

we need pics bru :)

7. lIghty

lIghty

Like the guys have said, you can always use the glass for other things like a sump.

8. JuanS

JuanS Thread Starter

Thanks guys. It just feels soshit after all the planning and reading up I've done. I'm sure if I worked for a company that checks internet useage I would've been fired a long time ago.

So staying positive....... I weren't too happy with the height and depth anyway, so maybe a blessing in disguise??? Only thing is my startup budget must now include a new tank...... oh the joys...........

So as I see it, a few options:
    1) Use the startup budget for a new tank, and wait a while (LONGER) before actually starting up.
    2) Second hand tank and only wait a little while..... hmmmm not so sure about this.
    3) Look for a complete set up for sale. Had a look at a few in the for sale forum and these should be in my start up budget range.

But then again, 2nd hand or complete setup, might be difficult to get exactly what I want.

BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD...............FFS

9. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

second hand tank is not bad, i started that way

10. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

...... or

4) Build your own tank !!!

11. PoPe_G

PoPe_G

Which could be a complete pain in the **** if you are as clueless on building tanks as I am.

Recent Posts