Urgent help needed Tank wipeout

all dead removed,skimmer was cleaned out aswell as sump wen WC done

im assumin a pesticide got into the tank

Didn't you have a WS breakout and started dosing with some kind of medication?
If so, thaty's probably what's caused the ammonia spike.

Two other things to check.

Check for a shorted pump or heater and test or iron. Corals will be ok but fish will die.

If you added magnesium in too big a dose to raise it will also cause ammonia.

Didn't you have a WS breakout and started dosing with some kind of medication?
If so, thaty's probably what's caused the ammonia spike.

Yes had a WS breakout on my angel,used herbtana which henk gave me.
Why would u say it would causer ammonia?

NJ,never dosed magnesium or anything

Tested ammonia and its on 0.05 now,waterchanges helped.
Nitrites is 0.5 and nitrates 0.04

Calcium is 340
Ph is 8.4

Maj dose of that Special Blend your brother has - it will sort out the amonia, nitrites and nitrates over night.

Yes had a WS breakout on my angel,used herbtana which henk gave me.
Why would u say it would causer ammonia?

NJ,never dosed magnesium or anything

Tested ammonia and its on 0.05 now,waterchanges helped.
Nitrites is 0.5 and nitrates 0.04

Calcium is 340
Ph is 8.4

If any medication is strong enough to kill WS/Odinium, its obviously also going to kill bacteria and other micro-organisms. This sudden die off will cause an ammonia spike

All of your parm is haywire, I would do more water changes as in NOW..
Your Ph is too High too. Leave out all the additives and start doing huge water changes. Stuff is dying in your tank, hence the ammonia spike as well as the nitrites going up. Do you have a chiller, if so, run it wet for the next couple of days
I assume you mean skimmer??

If any medication is strong enough to kill WS/Odinium, its obviously also going to kill bacteria and other micro-organisms. This sudden die off will cause an ammonia spike

Sorry bud , Herbtana will only compliment the setup ...not kill anything. If you read the literature you will see it doesnt kill WS ....

As for my post regarding pH of RO , my intention was to say RO has a neutral Ph , My bad , sorry :p

@AfricaOffroad i'm not sure what you are getting at but Herbtana is 100% reef safe and 100% bacteria safe. It is a mixture of various plant extracts. I just had a good look at the MSDS sheet and i dont see anything strange?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything strange? It has a level of toxicity, not complimentary to any system - see its symptoms.
This substance "could" cause a bacteria die off in a new unstable system, thats the point I'm trying to make.

Please , I'm not against the product in any way. Its a form of medication that has a role to play in treating an unfavourable condition. Fact of the matter is its not a substance normally found in a marine system.
Like any foreign substance introduced to a closed system, its addition could/would have repercussions.

Last edited:
mmmmmmmmkay - Let me know next time you have a WS outbreak and I'll send you a bottle to play with :D

I still think water changes with a GOOD salt and GOOD RO will sort this problem out. Adding Special Blend will help the biofilters deal with the fishload etc.

Well in that case i'll send you a bottle to keep there. Send me a PM with the address where the couriers can find you as well as your tank size and cell phone number.

Back to topic - @maj any more updates?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well in that case i'll send you a bottle to keep there. Send me a PM with the address where the couriers can find you as well as your tank size and cell phone number.

Back to topic - @maj any more updates?

That wasn't the intention of my posts, but I do appreciate your generous offer.

Regards
:1:

As for my post regarding pH of RO , my intention was to say RO has a neutral Ph , My bad , sorry :p

And I was going to strangle you for that comment of yours.:p

In fact, RO water can have a PH of anything.
As a bad example: I use to stay in Bothasig and checked the PH of my RO, because lots of things went wrong. I could not believe it. PH was 10.9! The tap water had a PH of 10.2. This is actually not allowed as the municipality has to deliver drinking water in the PH range of 6.5 to 7.5!
So everybody should test the tap water before using as drinking water or RO water.

Reverse osmosis will not level the PH of any water to neutral!;)

And I was going to strangle you for that comment of yours.:p

In fact, RO water can have a PH of anything.
As a bad example: I use to stay in Bothasig and checked the PH of my RO, because lots of things went wrong. I could not believe it. PH was 10.9! The tap water had a PH of 10.2. This is actually not allowed as the municipality has to deliver drinking water in the PH range of 6.5 to 7.5!
So everybody should test the tap water before using as drinking water or RO water.

Reverse osmosis will not level the PH of any water to neutral!;)

You are 100 % correct Marcel , if it did would there be a market for any buffers ? There are a lot of issues affecting PH of RO , to give an indication....my top up tank has a PH of 7,1 (after about 40 odd hours) , my "straight from the ubit RO has a PH of 7,4 / 7,5 (made 2 different batches today)....now if i were to aerate that for a few hours the picture would change again.

I AM NOT SAYING RO WILL GIVE YOU A NEUTRAL PH..., what I am saying is a well maintained RO unit, plus the proper use of RO will assist in reducing PH fluctuations...

BTW, when you coming for a visit , or strangluation :tt2:

Back
Top Bottom