Tank Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jacojs, 17 Sep 2016.

1. Jacojs

Jacojs

Hi everyone.

I need everyones advise and experience with this please.

I am going to upgrade from my current +-140L including sump to +-600L including sump.

According to me I can fill the new system with water, get it up to temp, take out my live rock, put it in the new tank, add substrate(new), acclimate fish, transfer fish and corals, done.

Am I wrong? Someone at a LFS(not a sponsor) is saying that the new tank needs to cycle........it just doesnt make sense to me unless I am missing something.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike geldart

Mike geldart

hi there
    you are going to need to cycle the water first unless you buy cycled water. Remember there are no shortcuts to a perfect tank, and if you want a thriving, healthy tank then you will need to go through the process. Put your live rock, water and substrate in firat and let it cycle for about 3 to 4 weeks.

Regards
    Mike

r0ckf1re likes this.
  4. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Water doesn't hold much denitrifying bacteria. So starting with 'cycled water' doesn't make a difference.

@Jacojs I think you'd be good to do it like that. The water might be very murky because of the new aragonite though. Wash it well and do a final rinse in RO.

Just in case I'd add a product like special blend or stability.

Are you only going to be using your old rock? Not adding anything new?

5. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

I don't get it, what he has suggested it exactly how I started my tank, yet I had to let it cycle.

I'm gonna agree with Mike.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited: 17 Sep 2016
  6. dubediver

dubediver

Best advice with a new tank - patience ( Like 4 weeks for flips sake ) , I keep learning the hard way with rushing tanks.

7. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Yes only old rock, nothing new immediately.

Im not starting a new tank, I am upgrading. Are you saying then that if you move an established tank to a new house you will let it cycle again because you added new water?

New tank yes, no new rock or any extra bioload.

8. WadeSmith

WadeSmith

@Jacojs If i may ask, what will you be doing with your current 140L setup once your new tank is up and running? The reason i am asking is because i am new to the marine aquarium hobby and i am looking for a good tank to start with.

9. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

@WadeSmith I will be selling it, it wont be soon though, still have a lot to do and get before I can transfer everything.

10. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Almost everyone here has upgraded somewhere along the line, isn't there anyone that can clarify why some say the "new" tank needs to be cycled and others feel it isn't necessary?

11. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

@Mario ArchTech I just read through your thread, nice build!!

Can you give your input about my question please? I mean what you did and what I'm going to do is the same thing, no need to cycle right?

12. dubediver

dubediver

I have just learned it's not worth taking any shortcuts in this hobby , as the only way to undo a mistake can be .....

13. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

I still fail to understand the shortcut you are talking about? I want to transfer everything in my current tank to another tank?

14. Mario ArchTech

Mario ArchTech

I think it will be fine, You are only doing a transfer, That means same bioload, same amount of fish, coral and rock. Just more water. Bacteria is in the live rock.
    just make sure you match the water to your old system, If not 100% possible, re acclimate fish and coral, this is what I did.

If you are adding new sand, this may cause a mini cycle. What I would do is start the system barebottom and add the sand slowly, for example a cup a day.
    Just to be safe I would add some form oh healthy bacteria. I know I didnt but I was taking a risk and got lucky.

When moving your live rock from your old system, do it quickly and carefully to reduce bacterial die off.

Good Luck

Daryl Norton and TaahirS like this.
  15. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Thank you very much @Mario ArchTech , this is exactly my reasoning and I just wanted to make sure, I will add sand slowly, I want to put the live rock on the bottom first anyway in case I get a digger.

Stability and prime will be my lifeline but I doubt that I will really need it, I will add it though just in case to be safe. I will let the system run for a day or 2 with just the live rock and then acclimate the livestock before transferring them. I also have matrix in my sump so there should really be enough bacteria and at most I will have a very small cycle which will be negated by the prime and stability.

Thanks for your input :cheers2:

Mario ArchTech likes this.
  16. desiree

desiree

Hi also want to know for when I move my tank why should sand be added slowly. Is this for new sand or using your old sand.

17. Mario ArchTech

Mario ArchTech

Just in case there is any die off or impurities that will cause a ammonia spike. For new, old sand and live sand. Reason for adding it slow is you dont want to overwhelm your bacteria in your system. By adding it slowly you give the benificial bacteria in the system time to break the ammonia down.

Jacojs likes this.
  18. desiree

desiree

Ok but if you use new dry sand with a small amount of your old sand would that also cause a spike.

19. 2una

2una

I went from my stocked 250L to my 650L this way - All except sand moved over.
    For a couple of weeks i pushed the limits on water changes & kept the old water & built myself up to a 50/50 old water/new water position.
    Put a full new sandbed in with a couple of cups of old sand mixed over it - (i went with live sand - i wouldn't do that again tho).
    Moved in the old LR & filled the display with water & run it till it was getting somewhat clear enough to see to do aquascaping & then added the stock in. Dosed Special Blend for a few weeks,Didn't have any issues.

I did a modified version of this to collect "old water"
    http://www.melevsreef.com/node/183

Last edited: 17 Sep 2016
  20. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

@2una Thats a lot of water and waterchanges :y13: dont you waste a lot of newly made up water this way? Did you do this in case there was a spike? Also what do you mean with the live sand and that you wouldnt do that again?

Im also curios about this, even if you just add new sand it will be touching the established live rock and the bacteria can migrate from the live rock to populate the new sand?

This will probably take some time to happen though and if there is ANYTHING in the new substrate that can cause an ammonia spike it could put the system into a cycle.

Adding a cup a day will take long yes but imagine how clean you can wash 1 cup of sand before putting it into the system! This will also give the existing bacteria in the live rock more than enough time to deal with any (if any)ammonia is present and it wont overwhelm the system.

Im just concerned about my nassarius snail, will he be okay with no to very little substrate for a while?

Last edited: 18 Sep 2016
  21. 2una

2una

I was collecting the water not throwing it - if you were to just put livestock into a tank of new water its going to be similiar to doing a 100% water change which no-one really recommends doing,I just found it a good way to collect as much water as possible to lower the percentage of what "new" water i was starting with.Every 2nd day i'd collect some water doing it via that method.(think it was 40L every 2nd day i pulled)
    The live sand i wouldn't do again mainly cos you dont wash it & it stays cloudy for MUCH longer.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2016
Recent Posts