Tank "upgrade"?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by C10, 17 Nov 2014.

1. C10

C10

Hi guys I need your opinions, I currently have a Red Sea Max 250 and I am considering selling the max and moving to a standard 4ft with a 3ft sump. The main advantages of the 4ft in my opinion are:

1. Volume (around 300L, 50L more than the max)
    2. Better skimmer and room for more equipment.
    3. 8 x 39w T5 VS the Max's 6 x 39w T5.

I already have a 3ft and one of my friends is willing to give me his 4ft for free. The only "problems" with the 4ft is it needs to be drilled and it needs bracing as it has 6mm glass.

So what do you think? Sell the Max or not?

michelle34 likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

well here are my replies
    1. for an extra 50L i dont see the effort in taking down a running tank
    2. the skimmer supplied is rated for 250-350L so i wouldnt use that to gauge, also what other equipment do you want to add?
    3. i would rather spend and get an orphek unit, check here RED SEA MAX HOOD CONVERSION

also look here 40% off :)
    Red Sea Max 250 SPS Grade Retrofit - 100% Compatible with C-250 - Steves LEDs, discount DIY LED supplies

and here for skimmer
    New skimmer for redsea max 250!!!!!!!!!!!

one can also mod for a sump etc

4. xtreme

xtreme

hahaha, I have a MAX 250 standing empty, run for 8 month's, not worth the maintenance, better of with what you want to do in my opinion.

5. C10

C10 Thread Starter

The problem with the max is well its just not as good as its made out to be. Don't get me wrong, if you are new to the hobby this will be a perfect start. The problem with the standard skimmer is its just to sensitive to water levels. I can dial it in and it will work perfectly, return 30min later and I will have to set it again and don't get me started on micro bubbles. Well equipment simply put, reactors. After many months of searching I finally found a reactor that will fit into the tiny filter space but I refuse to pay that much for something just because its small.

6. C10

C10 Thread Starter

LOL I get what you mean but just for the fun of it do you mind elaborating?

7. dallasg

one can always drill the tank and add a sump to it

8. C10

C10 Thread Starter

I'm listening.

9. michelle34

michelle34

Build your self a 1meter x1meter 12mm tank it's a were nice setup

10. dallasg

first need to see if the back pane is tempered glass, email them

11. xtreme

xtreme

@C10 I like the redsea, it looks good, like the switches on it buttttttttt. The timer is crap, when it switch off it is suddenly, my fish got a fright every time, I prefer rather that the white go off and then the blue's.
    To stand on something to work in the back is also not worth it. I've got large forearms and difficult to reach deep down on angles. Can put nothing next to the tank, it will be in the way to work at the back. The skimmer is plain K@K Spare parts here for Redsea is almost never, can take up to 6 months if they can get it. The water level system on it is also crap, Everything looks fine then the next moment alot of bubbles. The 6 light tubes is good enough for this tank. Now Like @dallasg said, maybe drill the tank, well you can fit hang on overflow you can fit ATO you can remove the sponges and fit (if I remember my measurements correct) 3 x Reef Octopus BR 300 reactors, one bio pellets, one chemicals, one matrix. But if they told you the problem with the tank in advance you would have build one and not bought a Redsea. I like to see my equipment, want to see them work 100%, dont want to guess they work. Dont want to damage the back to modify. There will be a lot of guys that like the system and like to keep it original, but I don't want to clean sponges and stuff every 2nd day, for that cash you better of with your own build. In my opinion every reef is different and every reefer is also different lol

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. C10

C10 Thread Starter

@xtreme wow its not even funny how accurate that was but one question, why not sell your max?

@dallasg will see what I can do. Hopefully they give me a direct answer.

13. dallasg

i really dont see the issue with these tanks, about 2 yrs ago 1 was setup at wild on pets and had about 10 fish added and a small BTA, and for those that have been to wild on pets have seen that BTA grow to over 65cm, there are about 10 corals (LPS,SPS,Soft) and no issues at all. that tank was run stock standard and no mods made or skimmers changed...

Verndog likes this.
  14. C10

C10 Thread Starter

Ja those are nice. The main factor here is I already have everything from previous tanks. Basically just need a skimmer if do go with this build.

15. xtreme

xtreme

@C10 and give the next guy a problem, nope will be a stunning planted aquarium hahahaha @dallasg true, but remember, you get good guys and then you get bad guys (like me) that works and works and then have to do all that maintenance, to lazy, my tanks that I build is more relax. :tt2: Can say cost a lot more than the RdSea, I'm not braking down the tank, It is a nice tank, but not for lazy people.

16. C10

C10 Thread Starter

@xtreme hahaha valid point.

@dallasg I have seen some max setups that are just out of this world and I have seen poeple that will take a max over anything so I get what you are saying, on paper and in review this tank is a beast. Just bear with me on this one and this is just my opinion, maybe quality control at RedSea is a bit of as you get guys that run these tanks without any problems and then guys like us that constantly strugle to get them to work perfectly, again just my opinion.

17. xtreme

xtreme

hahaha so @C10 you say you are also one of the lazy guys:tt2: I don't know, maybe I'll start it one day again, first changing the skimmer ag wat no thanks, nice plant aquarium lol

The small tank that I build with my sump is also +/- 250L. DT about 160L. Didn't had RO water so filled it with tap water, keep the ATU full with tap water till about end October, tank is running for 4 months now, fitted a bio pellet reactor, chemical reactor TS1 skimmer and in the beginning cleaned my glass every 2nd day for a month then nothing further, maybe once a week now, caroline algae starst building up, Nitates 10 PO4 less than .03, I know that its not right with the water, buying locally RO water and their TDS reading was on the last container 0.017. Going to order the reefmaster pro later.

18. King_Triton

King_Triton

@C10.. if you do plan to upgrade to the std 4ft, I will advise you to try and go with a 4ft sump if you have the space. My firsst system was a 4ft with 3ft sump. I always had issues with sump space and if i needed to add any hardware it was merely impossible.

19. C10

C10 Thread Starter

@xtreme hahaha won't say lazy but I don't want to fiddle with it every 2 seconds. Gee man I wish I never sold my TS1, probably my biggest mistake since starting in this hobby. Yeah I know what you mean with the algae and tap water, basically the same as my 3ft setup ok it took about 6 months to reach a "stable" condition, if you are not going to test the water you won't say its tap water.
    @King_Triton Well seeing as I'm still in the middle I haven't put to much planning into in but there should be space for a 4ft sump. The question is, when you say 4ft sump do you mean std 4ft size or just the length that should be 120cm?

20. King_Triton

King_Triton

It will be easier to get a std 4ft, however if you can get one that is just the length and shorter in height it should be fine. Just play around with your baffle heights. My current sump is 2000cm in lenght and quiet high, I just adjusted my baffles to accomodate the water height for skimmer, etc.

21. C10

C10 Thread Starter

Ok ja if I end up doing the 4ft I will go through all my options, obviously more water is better so thanks for the heads up

Recent Posts