Tank Swop

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by maj, 17 Oct 2011.

1. maj

maj

Peeps,

Need some advice:

I am moving house by end of this month and need to swop over my livestock from my 2 yrs old system(1.2m) to a new 2m build(my very first DIY) and no leaks:thumbup:

The 2m was only filled yesterday aftn and no leaks thus far so i started the cycle
    with a peice of muscle to rot and added from my matured LR and some sand from my sandbed with a heater and one pump for flow.
    Also i added Fauna marin Ultra Bak and ultra bio(been using this on my current setup with great success)

My issue is that i HAVE to move evrything out my old place by month end and need to speed this cycle up as fast as possible as i have about 11 fish to move over,the distance from my old place to new place is like 10metres(bought house next door,lol)

Other issue is i will only be siliconing the sump today or 2moro so my 2m is operating sumpless at the moment.

Also i wont be goin DSB anymore just be using either Fauna marin route or equivalent.
    Will prodibio startup make my cause abit quicker?

What does the MASA members recommend i do?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gavster

gavster

Prodibio will definitely do the trick. A month on the boosters that you have planned is more than enough time to at least get your fish and hardier stuff in. I would still give it few months if you're planning nennies and other more fragile inverts.

4. Elrond

Elrond

Maj,

Considering you should be moving your livestock over (LR, DSB etc I'm assuming) this should help as you have already matured stuff.

I'd suggest using 'Stability' for a few weeks to keep any potential cycles under control BUT would be keen to see what other members suggest.

Goodluck dude!

5. maj

maj Thread Starter

Yes all my stuff is defnitly matured but not wanting to go DSB agen tho.
    I will be using my Display tank sandbed tho,will keep it in water and move across.

The LR i will be keeping immersed in water and move across.

Was considering continuing Fauna marin as i am use to,but have been researching that prodibio/or Herbtana special Blend/Stability.

looking for the advanced dudes to maybe give some input

Thanks gents!

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

If you moving end of this month i wouldnt start cycling the 2m yet. Getting it up and running will mean another tank to drain on moving day and you going to need all the time you can get on that day as it is. Have you added new liverock to the 2m? If you have, maybe look at cycling it in a smaller, easier to move plastic container or something.
    Having a few helpers on move day will malke things alot easier as well.
    Bacterial products will help, ive used Stability and Special blend and wont hesitiate to use them again.

7. pXius

pXius

Might I suggest running a temporarily diy ATS.

Should help keep algae blooms and stuff under control.

8. gavster

gavster

It sounded as though you're cycling the 2m tank in the new place for the next month? As 459b says, if that's not the case and you're moving at the end of THIS month, why bother? The only way this will work is by draining both tanks, storing all the water, rocks and sand for hours in various containers then transferring it to the new place. Sounds like a nighmare. I'm assuming all the legal work has been taken care of already for your bond transfer. Why don't you ask your neighbours if you can't get the tank in now and boost it with bacteria as well as move your live rock across? That way your cycle should be well underway with Prodibio and you can move the fish on move day?

Last edited: 17 Oct 2011
  9. maj

maj Thread Starter

That could be a plan,settin up small plastic holding buckets in the mean time.
    no the 2m tank is setup in the new place already in its spot so its just a matter of drippin the fish in on move day.

I might go the special blend/stability combo,seems the easiest route.
    just waiting for the ammonia to kick in and then il add the bac strains

10. maj

maj Thread Starter

No i have the new place already,have been busy rennovating it and the 2m is in its location where it will be standing thus i started the cycle.
    Will only need to drain my current 1.2m tank after catching my LS out of it.
    But slowly removing the Liverock out of my 1.2m and placing into the 2m.

Prodibio vial(startup,biodigest) or Special blend and stability combo?

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Well that makes thing alot easier.
    If you not going DSB, what filtration will you be using?

12. gavster

gavster

Great! You'll be fine then stop stressing! Probably the easiest move in MASA history.... Haha.... I personally use Prodibio and swear by it, but what do you think Dean and other forum advisers? I have no experience with special blend?

13. maj

maj Thread Starter

Will be using Fauna marin Ultra bak,ultra bio dosing as iv been doing for the last year,normal in tank sand bed and skimmer

Been hearing good things about special blend,but i also know prodibio is a trusted method.
    In the prodibio range,what would u suggest me to startup with?and how to dose?

Yip its a very close move and hoping it will be as easier as ,catchin my fish and carryin them next door and drippin in:blush:

14. FransSny

FransSny

Maj go special blend, I would also suggest adding some herbtana to the mix

15. maj

maj Thread Starter

u say that thing frans,hhhmmm how many bottles will be needed of those?for my 700+ litres?
    how would u recommned i dose this?and can it be used it in combo with stablity or need need for that

16. FransSny

FransSny

a mid size bottle will treat 250 L for about 30 weeks at recommended dosage levels but I would up that by 50 % . As for Herbtana a small bottle will do the trick for a week

17. maj

maj Thread Starter

so i would need minimum 6 bottles if i want to increase dosage by 50%

18. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

Imo .... I used stability, it alows you to add your staock as soon as u start dosin,given u stick to the 7 day dosing programme, I did that and mooved my stock over on day 2 of mooving from 1.2 to 2m.... 9 mnths running and didn loose a fish (besides the bad purchased stock ofcourse) but the fish, and corals I moved over is all still doing well

19. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

And remember to dose according your total volume (tank and sump less displacement).... And nt jus tank volume, a lot of peeps tend to make that mistake, an I also forgot to add, I used my fully matured liverock plus an extra 50kgs an started dosin, and on day 2 I started mooving stock over

20. maj

maj Thread Starter

Thnks for the info boet,im just weighin up all the options wrt dosing bacteria source to minimize the cycle,and i too have about 50kgs of matured rock so that should help i hope!

im lookin at about water volume of 850-900 litres(including sump)

21. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@maj, the matured lr will dedefinately help dude.... Imo I jus feel stability an prime together is the only bacteria source which allows almost immediate addition of livestock... So good luck in decidin an with the big moove

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts