Tank Support

Reaction score
Hey guys

I think I asked this a while back, but I can't find the thread.

Is it possible to strengthen a tank after it has been built?

Reaction score
My reason is I live on the 2nd floor and a just trying to make 100% sure I don't drown my neighbors. Tank is still empty at the moment. It is already Eurobraced. According to the calcs the glass should be 8mm thick, but its 6mm. Was thinking I'll just fill it to 400mm instead of the 450mm it holds.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Sparky - does the tank have anything on the bottom? If not, perhaps add some bracing on the bottom glass panel too.

Also - does it have a brace in the centre (or possibly two across each of the tow thirds of the tank's top?) - if not, you can add this too. Then you can rest assured that it should not break.

My 2 metre tank is 10mm, and I have bracing EVERYWHERE. Top front & back (running complete length of the tank) plus one centre brace (running from front to back of tank), as well as bottom bracing, on all 4 sides of the tank, this includes another centre brace at the bottom centre of the tank, running from front to back...

I should actually have a 12mm tank - but the bracing's done so well, that my tank SHOULD not break... and I fill my tank up 650mm out of 700mm (water level in any case).

Reaction score
If I can ask, what are your tank dimensions? Also, could you post a drawing or pics of your bracing? Mine is 1500x450x450. I have the 1 centre brace already. I have seen the tank filled, so I know it does hold the water, but I just want to be sure everything possible has been done, just in case.

Reaction score
Ok, according to the calc I have been using your sides should be 14mm and bottom 19mm. Maybe this one is just extra cautious ...lol...

My calcs come to sides 8mm and bottom 11mm. My bottom is 10mm

Reaction score
Ok, cool, mine looks almost exactly like that. Just missing the 3 front to back supports on the bottom. Will add them this weekend.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I am quite sure that once you have added them, that your tank should be quite strong enough, as long as your stand is very strong and stable.... Then you should not have problems with the tank bursting......