tank stocking list help

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by roderigo, 31 Oct 2011.

1. roderigo

roderigo

[​IMG]

hay guys and gals ive got 4x super tonga nasser snail and x4 turbo snails 2maxican and 2 indnesan ones, tank is running just over a mounth and few days now .
    dt is a 1.2 x45 x45 total water voluem including sump is about 300 liters oh yes got one damsel in sump
    would like to know how much trubo snails i can put in my tank and what reef safe fish i can start with and may be some other fish that could also work for this set up thanx :thumbup:

pic of tank

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

depends on how much green algae you have.

How old is that picture? Does not look like you have any food in the tank for too many snails.

Remember, if there is not enough food, they all will starve. And all f them will die. So rather start with the minimum, and get more as needed.

Tremayn likes this.
  4. Tremayn

Tremayn

hey man.. why do you want so many snails? Do you have a lot of gha?

Probably the perfect starter fish would be about 5 little blue/green chromis. They are very active and swim all over the tank. Will make it seem like you have a full tank lol..

Also a nice fish, maybe after the chromis is a coral beauty (pygmy angel) .. They are pretty and are the most reef safe dwarf angel.

You could get a small yellow tang later on

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

ok just saw the pic now. If you dont have gha then dont get anymore snails. You would have to give them some nori as food. Remember to stock slowly, not as slow as me but slow lol :p

Last edited: 31 Oct 2011
  6. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Snails, you can go up to one per 25 litres, even more.
    Why the damsel in sump and what type of damsel?
    Rocks seem quite tightly packed, would advise a looser arrangement to facilitate flow around them to assist in keeping them clean.
    Reefsafe fish, start with some chromis, as they are quite forgiving and space wise should be fine. Some clowns too, as they do not tend to get too aggro on new tankmates, except for tomato, maroon and clarki clowns, pajama cardinals are good reefsafe starters, hawkfish,......

The important thing is to have a look at some fish, decide what you want, then do thorough research re their care, feeding and other requirements. Ask on the forum regarding your potential choice and then decide whether you and your system have the ability to look after them for an extended period.

Stay away from the obvious bad choices, such as moorish idols, angels (dwarf species are okey, but their reekf safe ratings vary on indivIduals within a species), filefish, cleaner wrasses (actually most wrassses, except small ones like flashers and six line), most tangs (they will outgrow your system), the list is endless, but so is the list of potential inhabitants. Like I said: research, question and then buy.
    NEVER buy on impulse!

Some experienced reefers in your area, feel free to make contact with us if you need assistance.

Irie

7. crispin

crispin

lovely looking tank:) and great to hear you are planning your tanks inhabitance list.

do you have any other clean up crew? maybe try get some dwarf hermits, a bristle star or some shrimps?

personally id suggest holding off on fish that will predate on your pod population so it gets time to establish well before fish come and eat them all.....do you see many pods in the tank yet?

if you are desperate to get some fish in and the test kits show the cycles have stabilised why not look at some oselaris clowns?

8. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

the pic an old one Ive got alto of food for my turbo ranging from gha just a Little and lost of light brown hair stuff that i think over time is turning into the gha, ,got some red bubble algae to

9. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

and they dont just eat gha they eat the brown stuff that on rocks and glass to but what im scared of once the tank matures there might be less food for them to eat

Last edited: 31 Oct 2011
  10. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

cool bud thanx for the tips l like snails they make for a good cuc espealy the new indo trbos i got they have some lime green spots on the bodey not shell looks cool:yeahdude:fpr a snail i mean

11. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

im a bit scared of the hermits as i dont want them to eat my snails for there shells and im thinking of getting some cleaner shrimp after i get a fish ore two

12. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

oh yes the damsel in the sump is the black and white one with a white dot on its head he is in the sump coz i dont what him to clam the hole tank as his own still contemplating if bi should put him in the DT after i buy say 3 blue green chromes what you think ? i got him from a reefer friend of mine

13. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I agree with this, but i would still have a Bristletooth tang in the tank as they dont get big, look at something like the Tomini Tang.

14. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

will it be ok to add this type of damsel at a later stage after i add about 5 fish or so???????

15. irie ivan

Regarding the damsel, he will claim most of the tank, would not add him at all. If you have significant algae, and you want to add snails to combat this, I have to advise you against it. Fight the cause not the symptoms spring to mind...? Again, I suggest you open up your rockwork to allow for flow to move around and prevent detritus from settling.
    What are you running in terms of filtration?
    Good suggestion on the tomini tang Alan.

16. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Sounds like a Domino Damsel, dont have personal experiance with them, but have heard they a buggers in a tank.

17. irie ivan

In fact hold off all additions until you have eradicated your current algae "issues" get thins started right, as mistakes made now could prove costly in the long run.

Please post some info/prentjies of your sump.

18. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

oh ok so its good i got the damsil in the sump for now filtration iv got a dsb and some live rock 10kg fully matured i know its a Little but will be adding some more soon in a bucket as i dont want to mess to much with the scarping and a AM 1000 skimmer rated for 1000 liters and a good amout o cheto in sump and flow of got 2x sun sun 5000lph pumps and a 4000lph return pump

19. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

i dont think i have a algae problem as the tank is just over a month so the Little i have i assume its normal old as for the fish will be stocking slowly in about month from now only thinking of 3 blue green chromes

pic of sump[​IMG]

20. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

i am look for the stocking list now as i would like to research each reconditions in depth then buy accordingly over time

21. irie ivan

Is that chaeto in there? Skimmer?

Recent Posts