Tank Size

Reaction score
HI

Tank size of 1500(L)x750(H)x700(w), big enough to start with. Sump size and design still busy researching. Working with wive's measurements will only see on the 15/09/2008.

Go as big as you can with a sump, the bigger the better. It is best to decide on what skimmer you are going to get first, if it is going to be an internal skimmer in the sump then you need to make sure it will fit, once that is sorted out then you can judge the size of your sump from there. Also, when choosing a skimmer, if it is going to go under the tank and in your sump then check the height of the skimmer to make sure it will fit under your main tank.

the .700 high can be a problem for accessibility bit awsome to view. i just went a bit smaller because i battled to place my clams nicley on the bottom.

Agree with Leslie, try go wider rather than deeper. Having a shallower tank means less intense lighting.

If I may ask why do you agree on the size? Jacquesb

Johan - your first tank size is good. My tank is 2000mm wide x 700mm high x 600mm front-to-back (deep)....
700mm deep is nicer than 600mm..
BUT, your second tank dimensions are even better....

750mm high, means that you will need metal halides at least in any case....

BUT - I am only presuming that you would have gone that route in any case.

Of course - the more / wider your tank is front-to-back, the better..... :thumbup:

Ok, 1500(L)x650(H)x800(w), will it be ok?
that does sound like a good tank size. if you can squeeze the wifes arm to go for longer 1800 or 2000 it would be better, but if not thats still a great tank to work with:)

agreed about the depth, shallower is better for accesability and for light penetration, but i did see a tank in the UK (weeman may know exact depth (thats how deep a tank is jacques:razz: ) but i would say it was well over 850, perhaps a meter. Was incredible to view but better for an experienced reefer.

1500 the longest I can go.

Jacquesb, MH I feel are the way to go, it has proven it over the years and about every article I read so far mentioned it. When I make my final desition on size I will come back to your guys to ask for help on lights.

Question, Im correct if I say that the surface area for a DSB, are about 75% of the total of the surface area of your display tank.

Question 2; Suggestions on lighting for tank size 1500(L)x650(H)x 700-800(W)

1500(L)x650(H)x 700-800(W)

this is gonna be a cooker tank.. lighting will be subject to what you plan on keeping...

personally i prefer a mix of hailides and T5

Thanks, want to keep fish and some corals.... corals I'm bit catfoot for some say its not so easy to keep? However, I will give it a try. My thank will be viewed from 3 sites(back, front and 1 side) thats why my bck to front size i'm not sure of yet. Will measure it when I'm home. So feel free to give me advice an lighting setup.

Back
Top Bottom