Tank Size

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Brucemg, 7 Jan 2008.

1. Brucemg

Brucemg

Hi

I’m looking at a tank size of 1000mm[l] x 750mm[h] x 650mm[d] with a total volume of 487.5l. Obviously the volume will be less when water is added and sand. Is this a suitable average size? I can’t go longer but I can increase the height and depth. Will the height have any major affect on the bottom of the tank? If I do go for this custom build what would the sand depth be, and should I go acrylic or glass? Any other suggestion will be appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. KevinW

KevinW

If you can increase the width I woudl do so, it really helps when you are aquascaping your tank.

4. Brucemg

Brucemg Thread Starter

Hi
    I forgot to say the area that the tank will be located is in a wall.Thus viewing from both sides.The one side will be flush while the other will protrude,giving me space under the tank for the filtration etc.this is where my current thoughts are.

5. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

yip 1M x 1M x 70cm high, would be a nice tank, more "real estate" if you like to place corals

Not to high or light penetration might be a problem

6. SIMS

SIMS

I agree...rather go wider...750high is a bit high for me. I like T5's and IMO that's a bit too deep. Also a pain to work in...

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

width all the way.....my tank is 610 deep and i still find it hard to work with

8. Kanga

Mekaeel, make your next stand 15 cm shorter, will be easier to work in:p

9. KevinW

KevinW

Or carry rocks all day and get your arms to grow Mek!

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

A depth of 650mm (that is, from front to back...) will be quite nice, but deeper is always better. It would be REALLY nice if you could make it 800mm "deep"

Yes, AND on the thickness of the side panes. A water height of 730mm would require at lease 12mm thick glass on the sides, and 20mm thick on the bottom if the bottom is not uniformly supported. If the tank is supported on a concrete slab you could use the same thickness glass for both the sides and bottom.

Go to the MASA calculators page, and use the glass thickness calculator to play "what-if"

Alse keep in mind that it becomes extremely difficult to work/clean a tank if the bottom is further away than your arm can reach - IMHO don't go higher than 700mm maximum.

Make the sand depth at least 100mm, possibly sloping up to 150mm in the middle of the tank.

I don't know of anyone in South Africa who can build custom acrylic tanks, so I guess glass would be your only choice. If you can afford it, I would suggest that you use a clear glass (not the usual green tinted float glass) for the two viewing panes.

Good luck with the tank :thumbup:

Hennie

11. Brucemg

Brucemg Thread Starter

Hi Hennie

I cant seem to get into "glass thickness calc" when I click on it nothing happens.I can however access the above

12. Kanga

13. palmerc

palmerc

When you say the one side of the tank will protrude what do you mean? Will it be supported underneath.

I would not want to risk having a portion of such a large tank unsupported by a stand of some sort.

And when you consider the height of the tank, do take the distance from the floor to the top of the tank into consideration, not just hte tank height itself. I.e you can go higher if you want (I wouldn't recommend it) if the tank is relatively low. This is purely for ease of access to the tank

14. SIMS

SIMS

I have my stand 900mm high and still another 40mm for board and foam, |I don't like having to bend dow to look into the tank and if you have a sump it's far easier to work in a 900 space than 700

15. Brucemg

Brucemg Thread Starter

Hi All
    Here we go Bruce http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/gene...calculator.xls

Kanga thanks got it

When you say the one side of the tank will protrude what do you mean? Will it be supported underneath.
    Hi Palmerc Ive got a drawing in word but cant seem to attach. Please help the drawing will explain how I intend to install

Hi Sims, yes I aslo dont want to bend so I will ensure that it is at a suitable level

16. Kanga

Bruce email to kangawolf@gmail.com, i will post the pic for you;)

17. Kanga

[​IMG]

Here we go Bruce:thumbup:

18. Brucemg

Brucemg Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks Kanga:thumbup:

Well this sketch should explain to the question asked above, any other suggestion.
    Acronyms are being used in the threads.:blushing: Where can I find out what they mean? Is there a doc with the explanations?

19. Kanga

Only a pleasure

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Nov 2011
  20. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I would be weary to support the tank on an interior wall (or even a double exterior wall, for that matter... The load concentration on the particular piece of foundation could be more than it's design capacity, and an additional point load (well, nearly a point if only spread out over 1.0m) could cause cracks in the rest of the wall (the weight of a 1m x 0.8m x 0.7m tank, including sand and rock, would be well in excess of 1000kg). It would also be better to have the tank supported on something with a uniform expansion/contraction characteristic (e.g. concrete), than having part of it supported on metal and part on concrete of wood.

An additional risk is that any settlement which occurred at a later stage could eventually cause the tank to crack - ask me, I had 500 litres of water flooding my lounge...

I would suggest that for a permanent display such as yours, you build a reinforced concrete slab for the tank to stand on (slab under the whole tank, including the short "overhang" side, and not resting on the wall...), and support this slab on strong enough angle-iron or brick legs. Depending on the strength of your floor (old house, newly constructed, "spec" house, ???), you may need to either spread the load below the legs by placing them on (say) 10mm thick steel plate "feet" of (say) 150mm x 150mm square, or break up the floor slab below the tank and cast a reinforced concrete footing as well.

Hennie

21. Brucemg

Brucemg Thread Starter

Hi Hennie

Thanks for the advice. I don’t actually want to cast a slab, how about sturdy steel frames say of channel or tubing [what do you think]. The only reason being if I move I would like to leave the area open and take the tank. My place is only 6 years. I will e-mail Kanga some pics to load onto this thread for me and you will see.

Recent Posts