Tank rebuild or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Bossi, 3 Dec 2009.

1. Bossi

Bossi

Hi guys

I just got this 2m x 0.6m x0.6m 10mm glass tank from a friend for almost nothing (R350).:thumbup: BUT................

There are some minor things bothering me. See below
    [​IMG]
    A small chip on a corner? Is this a problem?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some minor chips on the sides of the base.
    [​IMG]
    Silicone pulling loose a little? Is this a problem?
    [​IMG]
    There's bracing all along the bottom and only on the long sides and middle on top, Is this sufficient?
    [​IMG]
    The top bracing not siliconed to the side panels?
    [​IMG]
    Full view
    [​IMG]
    There is air gaps in the silicone which looks like cracks and also a couple of bubbles here and there in the silicone beneath the bottom bracing. Is this ok or not?

The tank was full of bath water to the top bracing the last time I saw it before fetching it so it doesnt leak. But.....

I don't know if I can take a chance with this tank? Can i jsut reinforce the corners with angle iron on the outside and add extra bracing at the top?

Or should I get a someone to rebuild it for me? And who can i ask to do this in Cape town if needed?

Advice would be appreciated please?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

does the glue come loose easily (flake) when you touch it? if so cut out all the glue and reseal the seam with new glue.. and add widthways bracing on each corner.. there is never any gaurantee though.. how old is the tank, if you decided to pulll it apart and rebuild id look at seeing if the front needs replacing due to scratches etc etc...

rather make a plan now than have a problem later and nowhere to put your fish and corals

4. Bossi

Bossi Thread Starter

Thanks Leslie

does the glue come loose easily (flake) when you touch it? Ja I would say the thin silicone comes loose easily, but at the joints it feels pretty solid.
    if so cu
    t out all the glue and reseal the seam with new glue.. GLue?? = Silicone?
    and add widthways bracing on each corner.. This might sound stupid, but I dont know what a widthaway is? ALmost like a pieces of angle iron siliconed to the exterior of the corners?

how old is the tank? My friend had it for about 2 yrs.

rather make a plan now than have a problem later and nowhere to put your fish and corals. Thats why I wanna make sure everything is 100% before putting saltwater in, cause once its in its not coming out soon.:biggrin:

5. Sentari

Sentari

Hi Johan

Where are those cracks and chips? I cant see really. Personally i wouldnt chance it with anything thats cracked.

Do yourself a favour and look around the forum with all the building thats going on you will learn alot. Alot of people also like the black MARINE silicone it looks really nice.

Anyways sure some of the guru's on building will help you out.

Enjoy!

6. leslie hempel

sorry for the delay in replying, its just a hectic time of year.. thanks nemo's janitor for the prompt.. :)

yes silicone, i would use a blade to remove the inner lining cleaning it with methylated spirits and a carpet knife blade. then resilicone with a 8 - 10mm triangular seam on the inside of the whole tank, you will need approx 5 tubes of glue to do this. use a proseal glueing tool to get a nice uniform neat look i will see if i can find a picture..

width ways bracing (front to back of tank width). In your case it is the .600mm measurement so you would need 2 pieces of glass .575mm x .080 (8cm) in 10mm glass

2 years isnt too bad from the glue's perspective but if it has been laying in the sun funny things can happen and ultimatley lead to the glue becoming brittle. even though the tank has filled with water its worth considering a redo as im sure you wont want to pull this boytjie down for at least the next 10 years.

i hope i make sense, i have just come off a night shift and im a little groggy, good luck buddy.

7. leslie hempel

on the chips, from the pictures none seem to be bad as in that they are going to continue to crack after pressure is applied, its very difficult to advise on this without actually seeing them in person.. but at face value they seem like they are ok..

8. JD167

JD167

I would'nt trust a chipped tank at all. If I were you I would take it apart, get a glass cutter and cut it up and make a sump. Then buy a better quality DT. That's what I'm going to do with my old tank anyway...

9. Bossi

Bossi Thread Starter

Hi guys

Thanks a lot!

I am thinking, just hearing what you are saying, I should rather take it apart and redo everything properly. Then at least I know the thing will be 100% and I don't have to worry about it for the next 10 years!

The cracks are really minor little chips/bumps on the sides of the bottom glass and it doesn't look like they are running or will be turning into cracks. 3 of then happened now when we moved the tank to my place. :-( I don't think it would be a problem, but just wanted to hear some objective opinion of you guys, cause my judgment is dodgy sometimes.

10. leslie hempel

cool bro, its always difficult making decisions for yourself.. im in the same situation at the moment.

Recent Posts