Tank prices?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by crazyerick, 11 Feb 2011.

1. crazyerick

crazyerick

Hi all,

My first post here. Really enjoying the information on this forum thus far. I have kept freshwater fish in the past with great success but keen on something salty now :thumbup:

Just an idea of prices these days, before we get into equiment, bare bones what would a 150cmx70cmx70cm set me back these days?

I am in Durban so any suggestions who is reasonable in building me a custom tank and stand? I still have an old sump tank I kept so I hope to use that.

Cheers,
    Erick

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. KeeganP

KeeganP

:welcome6: welcome man, good to change from bathwater to Marine :D

4. Evo R

Evo R

:welcometomasa2:

5. Q89

Q89

:welcome6:

Welcome to the exiting side of fish keeping:thumbup:

As for the price, I have no idea, sorry

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome

7. Monde

Monde

welcometomasa

8. IMarine

IMarine

welcome and pm mekaeel he will be able to point you in the right direction

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome! You should check the for sale threads before you get a custom tank built. You will save thousands! Thats what I did :) .. Custom built you will pay a good chunk of change.. around 3k depending on glass thickness

10. maxisoft

maxisoft

Welcome To Masa.....

Dont be hasty... before the weekends out, I'm sure someone on the forum will post a tank for sale.... save you lots of $$$$ ;)

11. Seabass

Seabass

Welcome

My opinion on cost

If you have long dollars, can cost you what you are prepared to pay, if on a tight budget, wait for a 2nd hand tank, or post in the wanted section, this is under the for sale threads.

Don't underestimate da cost of equipment, fish coral etc, a 1,5 can cost you fully running on a budget +/- R 60 k, then they sky is the limit, I mean this is new stuff.

But if dollar is long, you can spend hundreds of thousands on a top of the range set-up.

Alt you can also wait for people who sell a full set-up for whatever reason, offer them what they want, inevitably it will be a bargain as they look to hand over the upkeep of their system to a keen enthusiast.

Go through the for sale threads, look at closed sales and this will give you a very good idea of all costs.

Enjoy

12. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

hi and welcome. from my experience here in gp a tank that size will set u back anything from 5000.00 upwards thats just the tank add in sump, stand and overflow will cost much more.

13. Manic

Manic Moderator

Pity you are in durban. I could of built you a tank, stand and sump.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2011
  14. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:...I'm a Newbie too, although I've had no fish experience and is as :biggrin: as they come....:lol: Hope you love it here in our little Community...:1:

Last edited: 12 Feb 2011
  15. crazyerick

crazyerick Thread Starter

Hi all,

Thanks for making me feel welcome, I am really enjoying the forum and is the best source of information. I am in NO rush to get the tank nor do the setup as I am preparing myself to do this the right way and really take my time with everything.

Firstly I am going to tile the lounge where the tank is going to go. I think this will just help should issues arise. Thus again I got some work to do before I can even consider getting a tank. I am a man of budgeting thus my question just to prepare myself.

My idea was to (after I tiled the room) get the tank and stand and see if I can make do with my current sump. I was then going to work on getting it to look right in the location I want to put it. Thus look at a cabinet to surround the stand, lid etc. My reason for playing with this first is I know once the tank has water in it, it wont move, so I'd rather play with moving it around first and getting it close to what I want it to look like before starting the tank.

This should give me some more time and money to get the hardware like the skimmer, return pump, heater, power heads, etc going and then take it from there taking my time with plumbing it, check for leaks etc.

I am enjoying the research part of it and already went to 3 shops here in Durban scouting thing out but not buying anything. Its interesting to see how some of the "famous" shop don't really stock the more preferred hardware. I only found 1 selling Reeftek skimmers for example and not even the size I think I would require.

Anyway, I am still in dream land and will ask questions as I go on. But if anyone sees a 5foot let me know :thumbup:

Cheers,
    Erick

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

Yeah most of the shops I went to do good skimmers by order. They just keep the cheap stuff in their shops

17. Falcon

Falcon

I'm here build me one lol,seriously can you do black silicone?
    did you build your own tank dude?
    I can get glass very very very cheap(i'm in hardware wholesale so i get it cheaper than the lfs even;)

18. robertkukla

robertkukla

welcome to MASA

19. Falcon

Falcon

What skimmers are they,i know reeftek is decent compare to stuff like boyu etc but there are other very very good brands out there.What makes were offered to you?

20. crazyerick

crazyerick Thread Starter

It was Boyu and some other brand I cannot remember. Only 1 shop had Reeftek.

Recent Posts