Tank Planning

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nism0, 26 Mar 2012.

1. Nism0

Nism0

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

Below is what I have been able to put on paper. Its pretty basic at this stage. Inspiration was taken from Marius's 5 footer - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Total System volume will be about 1100lt
    DT area = 1.4 square metres
    Total DSB area = 1.7 square metres

[​IMG]

Flow will go from the DT down to skimmer (Big Red Box) then top DSB to bottom DSB and back to DT.

The idea was to maximise the dsb area and include an ATS. I hope to eliminate the need for any chemical filtration in this way. Big red skimmer is based on ths size of a a Vertex A300.

Things i have to include somehow but space is limited:
    1. RO reservoir
    2. ATS

A frag tank in the sump would be nice.

Bring on the comments :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

You would have to leave more space for the bottom tank in case you need to work in there. And you will have to remove detritus that settles on top of the sand bed. I used to have an ATS in my setup as well but it became a pain as the slot becomes clogged with algae and then it squirts water all over the place. And I even tried to place the slot in a dark area so that algae wont grow in the slot. But its a lot easier said than done.

I would rather sacrifice some DSB size but include the RO chamber.

RiaanP likes this.
  4. Wes

Wes

I'd say swop the two sumps around. Then shorten the upper most sump to be the size less the red box in pic so you can then play with spacing. and then still have the red box, but at the bottom, guessing it's for skimmer.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Swapping them around could be better. Then instead of a Short DSB in the middle, make that tank even more shallow to be your frag tank.

6. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Thanks @mariusmeyer :thumbup: Your tank is what made me decide to go this route.

Ok, i can increase the gap at the bottom to about 130mm. This would put the water level of the tank at 1.7m. A bit higher than intended, but some sacrifices need to be made i guess.

Regarding the RO chamber. I intend to run the system with LED's. This should minimise heat and evaporation a little bit. What would be a good RO chamber volume? 50lt maybe?

I will research some ATS designs and try and come up with something which solves the two problems you mention. I have read that an ATS can reduce temperatures to the point that a chiller is not needed. That would be first prize as the entire setup is limited to the 2m x 0.7m footprint.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

I was also thinking of having the "big Sump" at the bottom. But should the skimmer not be before the DSB? If this is not case it would make things a hell of a lot easier.

I will update the drawing and post a bit later. Just have a few meetings to get through first. Work: what we do to pay for our aquarium habbits.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2012
  8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Those two statements are contradictory .
    Yes, Leds, supposed less heat less evaporation.
    Then ATS, with fans, to cool the system. That is evaporative cooling. And pushes up your RO consumption even more than T5 lights would.

So you need a big ATU RO chamber

9. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

@RiaanP Does the skimmer absolutely HAVE to be before the DSB?

Yes, the RO use is something that I am worried about. I would like to have a weeks worth of RO in the sump. So with evaporative cooling the chiller space will become RO space. Difficult to predict what the weekly water loss would be at this stage.

10. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If you run evaporative cooling then work on 15% total system volume per week for sizing of RO reservoir.

My tank runs on about 12% RO per week in summer. Winter I am doing about 6% IIRC.

11. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Bl!ksem, thats 170lt a week. Add to that a 230lt water change every two weeks. roughly 570lt of RO water to be made every 2 weeks. Mental note: get bigger drums.

Thanks for the help so far guys. This is quite a big project so I want to have all the kinks and what ifs sorted out before i even get anywhere near production.

12. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

why are you against chemical filtration? carbon is beneficial and will need the help as that size dsb will take months to be 100% effective... really the reason i dont use them

rather ATS, skimmer and good LR why use more and why have the extra volume and cost.
    if you planning this like this, then i assume you will have good husbandry skills, so then a DSB to me would be a waste, rather a better and wider ATS, LR and skimmer and water changes when needed. then get better flow for in the tank
    you can even suppliment with Special Blend
    and before all the DSB bandits jump in this is my suggestion and works very well

13. Express Reef

Express Reef

14. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

@dallasg I dont have anything against checmical filtration. I just dont have any experience with it.

The main reason for the DSB is that it is what I know and it requires almost zero maintenance.
    Keeping the monthly maintenance cost as low as possible is quite important as the wife is not as fond of this hobby as I am.

15. Express Reef

Express Reef

Tend to disagree :tt2:

16. seank

seank

:lol:

17. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Please elaborate. :tt2:

18. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

19. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Here is a quick idea including the RO reservoir and a ATS which is enclosed to eliminate splashing. Lights which are not shown would be on both sides of the ATS. The ats will most likely intersect the Big red skimmer box as the skimmer wont really take up all of that space.
    The actual sump would have a DSB (Or similar :tt2:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Like that design, I am close to fourways if u want to chat reef this week or weekend

21. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Thanks dallasg, I would like to see your setup and chat reef over a couple of cold ones :). It will have to wait though as I'll be in the cape for the next two weekends. Easter and all those wine farms :thumbup:

This design includes a small frag area which makes the ATS smaller. Skinny overflow in the DT as well. Flow would then be split into 3 from the DT. 1 to the skimmer chamber. 1 to the ATS and 1 to the frag tank. All with ball valves so that each can be isolated for maintenance. Return pump in a small corner section to maximise DSB area, although the % gain there is probably quite useless.

[​IMG]

Recent Posts