Tank options

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by G55C, 9 Apr 2009.

1. G55C

G55C

OK well I want to get into marines now but need some help as to what i should do.

I have a 1220*450*500 tank at the moment and was built by exotic pets in boksburg for marines in mind.It has an overflow which I'm not using and sit in a nice looking cabinet with hood. The glass is a little scratched and the silicone is blue from the copper based meds I've used.

Should i maybe build a new tank to fit the cabinet and add sump etc... Or should I build a smaller tank,lets say a 600*400*450, with a cabinet ,sump etc...?

The reason I'm asking is also that the house I'm staying in is for sale and once its sold I will have to move again and maybe later on again near the end of the year.:023:
    I want something that will not be expensive to run but also not too hard to move later on.
    Your help will be much appreciated:)

Last edited: 9 Apr 2009
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

I would suggest either use the existing tank and make sure you get rid of all trace of copper, or keep your eye out for a 2nd hand tank in the classifieds section.

2nd hand tank are always cheap ;)

4. Wetty

Wetty Rockford Fosgate Fish

They rock when it comes to tank and the quality of tank. I know most of the staff there quite well. Id try to go as big as possible in volume terms. Its for the livestocks sake :thumbup:

5. Pete

Pete

I would also try and get all the copper out the tank and use that till the time comes that you decide to settle down in one place, then go BIG always try and go as wide as you can because you will want to up-grade later again to a bigger tank, ask me its in the planning again the 4th one in a year and a half

6. Tony

Tony

I'm with Pete on the size. Go as big as you can with good depth as that will drive you mad. To remove the copper you need to acid wash the tank as copper not only gets into the silicone but adsorbs on the glass and acid will break this down.

Do this outside with a mask, gloves and pool acid and brush the tank with a nylon brush. It sounds extreme but you don't want to have dead inverts and corals. WHen you fill the tank with water use some Tetra dechlorinator only. This brand also remove heavy metals and add fresh carbon to your system.

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Go as big as you can afford not only length but width and height as well.

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

bigger is definatley better but remember you need to be able to manage the tank size you choose.. i found a 1.2 x .750 x .600 just small yet big enough to allow my equipment to be overkill and put the selection of fish i want into it comfortably.. i am also in the situation where i have moved and am probably going to move again.. you not alone bud.. good luck with the decision..

9. G55C

G55C Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the andvice.
    I've been in contact with naac in somerset west and they going to give me some options with regards to tanks etc. They have a really cool shop the and really helpful too.

Thanks leslies, yes moving so much is not so lekka hey. :(

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA G55C! Great to have you on-board! I am VERY GLAD that you have found MASA, and joined us! Where did you hear about MASA?

I am also very glad that you found NAAC. They are a sponsor of MASA! I too am EXTREMELY IMPRESSED with their setup.

Been a while I last visited there. Perhaps at the end of this month ;)

Good luck with your journey into marines. PLEASE take note that it takes a HUGE AMOUNT of patience, to be a successful reefer!
    Also - it takes a HUGE amount of reading.

Please read as MUCH as you can, and ask as MANY questions as you can - to ensure, by the time you are ready to add lifestock to your tank, that you can be ensured of making knowledgeable decisions!

Please start looking for the following as well:
    - sump
    - skimmer (look at ReefTek, ReefOctopus, Bubble Magus ranges)
    - return pump
    - in-tank water flow (look at the SEIO range of pumps, as well as the SunSun's and ReSun's)....
    - lighting -> this will depend on what you want to keep
    - live rock
    - base rock (bio-rock)
    - substrate (Reggie's Play sand, aragonite, sea sand)
    - test kits
    - either using NSW (natural sea water) or synthetic sea salt
    etc.....

Please ask questions - no such thing as a "stupid question"...

And REMEMBER: ONLY BAD THINGS HAPPEN TOO FAST IN MARINES!

11. G55C

G55C Thread Starter

I just found MASA while surfing the net a year or so ago and And then got hooked on sean koekemoer's cement build tank. Its an awesome system.

naac is suppossed to have gotten some new stuff in yesterday so would be worth a visit soon;)

Recent Posts