Tank not so good after filtration change!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Pugsly, 22 Oct 2009.

1. Pugsly

Pugsly

Hey all,

Just to throw a stick into the spokes here, but here goes.
    I am not the greatest fish keeper and my knowledge with marines is not the best, but this I can tell you all from what has happened to me.
    I had my tank running in a section of the house that got at least 3 hours of sun on it daily. It had a wet/dry filter that used filter wool, bio balls and ceramic rings. I was even only using tap water and my own salt to do water changes, 20% every two weeks. My tank looked good - not great, but pretty good for what I had. I had little flow in the DT (only aobut 5x turnover in the DT) oh and I never blew the gunk off the rocks etc.

Then I found this site and realised that I have been doing everything wrong and all my stuff was "old school". Thanks for waking me up guys and giving me the knowledge and power I have now.

So then, over the past 6 months I have been doing the changes to up my system and get it to where it should. This ment taking the wet dry filter away, installing a proper sump with DSB, got a great skimmer, everything found it's place in the sump and different chambers, my lighting was changed from T8's to T5's (wow, big difference) and then too, slowly started removing the crushed coral and replaced it with playsand I washed and washed and washed.Oh, and of course started using only RO water for my water changes - still 20% every two weeks. I added serious flow to the DT too.Twice a week I blow the gunk off the LR. And all this was only done over 6 months - so I have not rushed into it and done it all at once that would cause things to spike!!!

Now - here comes that stick - after doing all this I started getting GHA, oh and then some more GHA, and then even more GHA. Can't seem to get rid of the stuff.

Whats your feelings on this? I am not saying that what I did from advice was wrong, or that the advice is wrong - I know it is and was the right thing to do.

What you guys reckon?

Oh yes did I mention the GHA problem?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

PS forgot to mention that the tnak ran 1.5 years in it's first location in the sun, then I moved it to in't new location thats out the sun etc. and has been in it's new spot for the past 10 months

4. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hmmmm, could be many things, your lighting may play a big part here.
    I am just curious you say tap water and your own salt, did you make up your own salt??
    Antways if you have been blowing off the rocks etc you might have released alot of nutrient into the water column and with improved lighting......bang algae bloom. Have you tested nitrate and phosphate at all?

5. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Alan.
    Lighting since the upgrade is only on for 5 hours where the old system was on nearly 12 hours!
    Yes tap water - used sera aquatan and the sera salt for water changes.

Tested nitrate 0.5 and phos is not detected - but I know this is cause it is being "shielded" by the GHA.

Only for two weeks when I started blowing off the LR was there gunk about, but now when I do it it is really minimal, a speck here or there, nothing major like it was. I think it is cause of the added flow in the DT - have 50x turnover in the DT now, so nothing has time to settle like it did

Last edited: 22 Oct 2009
  6. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

Bring us some water so we could test it for you, perhaps your test kit is not correct. More detail and photos would help also.

Moolis

7. magman

magman

Eish, I have been on the forum 2-3 months now, and would hate to know what my DT would look like now without the forum. I recently posted about non members tanks in the area and how sad some of them are, all set up by our local LFS who is old school like your first scenario. I too was headed that way without the changes I made through the forum. I have seen really sad tanks where you feel really sorry for all the inmates.

It has to be caused by a few factors that could of been building up and new lights was the fuse being lit.
    Are you maybe feeding too much,
    Not skimming enough,
    Is your rocks not built up too much without flow between.
    Have you not got any CUC moving in and out the rocks.
    Has the DSB been seeded (it could still be dead and not working yet)
    Maybe slow down on the water changes
    Is it not maybe a cycle,
    Have you used proper good quality LR, or is it all bio rock.

I think many factors, but I too have gone the forum route, and wished I had when I started marines.

Heads up, maybe just a bit of a downer at the moment.

8. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

Look at the bottom of one of my posts there is a link to my thread and you will see what it looks like now - maybe a bit worse now.

Where exactly are you in PTA? will like to have it tested to see.

What other details are you looking for?

9. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

I am currently feeding 3 times a week and really just just just enough - there is nothing left after a minute of feeding.
    Have a TS 2 skimmer that works like a bomb and then 3 months ago added another boyu skimmer in the last chamber to maybe help but it does not skim all that much cause of the first one doing it's bit.
    I rescaped the rocks with allot more opening inbetween them to allow for flow through them and you can see when I feed that the food goes in and out of them and stays in suspension till it is eaten.
    Not sure what a CUC is?
    at 160 per kg it looked good and I did get it from a well known LFS that I see mentioned here a few times
    DSB seems to have life in it so think it is operating - the DSB was the first thing I did 6 months back and then only started removing bio balls etc after 2 weeks of it being up and running - I really only took out handfuls at a time once a week

10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

pugsly its difficult to pin point the exact problem.. also important to so as not to repeat the same mistake/occurence.. you have the technology in place now so its a place to start .. consistent water changes and a phosphate remover would be at the begining of my list.. further more consistent skimmin(TS2 is sufiecient) and diligent water topping up with RO enriched with a kalk solution would be the next.. something that has been discussed in the past was putting your lights off to help the algae growth subside.

i personally dont run my lights in the day at all but have only ever run actinic lights (when i had them in place) unless i was at home to enjoy the use of my hailides..

id suggest limiting your lighting period to see if you wont get some result..

11. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

How long ago did the algae problem start, what salt mix are you using and where do you get your RO.

12. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

interesting Pugsly....

Are you running phos remover at all? and are your running carbon.

Is the GHA centered on any particular rock or is it spreading ?

do you have any fish that graze algae?

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Hair algae is a sign of available NITRITES. The transformation from a full on Aerobic filter to a DSB has resulted in lack in the reduction of ammonia and nitrite. So there is available nitrite. IMO

This combined with the release of PO4 from the old LR will cause this.

Add a hefty plantation of Cheato/ Caulerpa to the DSB and use Rowaphos or Phosban.

Also dose Kalkwasser.

And skimm very wet.

14. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Day Dreamer Deluxe

Pugsly - similar to you I also converted slowly over to a DSB, removing ceramics and bio balls bit by bit, and also had a GHA outbreak from that point on. Once it had peaked and covered most rocks it seemed to die off on its own - the whole cycle took about 6 weeks. The whole time I was testing the water weekly and no real differences recorded between algae and no algae ( I was not testing for Phos though ) so hard to say what triggers a bloom, and what ends it.

I replaced my RO filters around that time so maybe that had some affect? But the GHA was on the decline before I did that anyway.

A lawnmower blenny could also help - he won't eat it but mine rips off chunks while looking for other munchies and they float off to the sump.

Good luck!

15. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Pugsly i have been thinking about your posts, and i just want to say that i really believe that you have made the right choices and chnges and that in time your system will stabalize and the GHA will go away.... i think the advice you have been given in this thread should sort the tank out !

16. Tony

Tony

I'm afraid your bad habits are coming back to bite you. To get Rid of your GHA you need to go the probiotic route. Go to Moolis and get some Bioptim and Biodigest. Add this to your tank and in a month your GHA will be gone and your tank clean. All the pollutants arte tied up in the rocks and algae.

I had the same problem a few years back where I thought I was clever and used tap water. I have a GHA problem that I couldn't get rid of for six months, scraping rocks every weekend, manually removing the stuff just to have it back the next weekend. Water changes won't help nor phosphates removers as the pollutants are tied up so you have to starve the GHA of it's food source. From experience prodibio is the solution

17. magman

magman

cuc, is clean up crew, hermits, snails etc.

18. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys.
    I have phos remover and don't run carbon. The GHA started on all LR and then just started growing thicker and thicker.

I have a yellow tang and a lawn mower goby.

19. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

the problem started around 6 months back. I use the sera premium salt. RO I get from a store at northgate - sure I am not allowed to say the exact name but sure you know the one

20. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

Nemos thanks for the assistance. How will I get rid of nitrites then?
    What is kalkwasser? I got some powder stuff to increase my dKH from 6 to 15 - was told this will help. Been increasing little by little each week for the last month. it is now on 12.

I have started skimming wet too for about 3 weeks now

21. Pugsly

Pugsly Thread Starter

Prodibio what is this?
    I started using a liquid from sera and is some or other bio stuff - think its called bio start. is this the same thing? water seems clearer after I have been using it

Recent Posts