Urgent help needed Tank not looking good !!

Gus

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Following my last post about my Xenia's, my tank has taken another turn ....

I have tested the water again and parameters are:
PH - 8.0
Salinity - 1.024
Ammonia - 0.0
Nitrates - 0.0
Nitrites - 0.2

My Anemone is closed, Zoa's are not opening, blasto not happy, Xenia's not pulsing and torch is only partially extended.

Filter media has been changed and water change also done. TDS meter shows 0.07 out of my RO unit.

With the water parameters ok, what else could be wrong ?

I have attached some pics.

Please guys, any advice or ideas welcome ....

img-1118.jpg

img-1119.jpg

img-1121.jpg

img-1120.jpg

img-1122.jpg

Gus,

Based on your previous thread I would add to Viper's guess regarding sweeper tentacles that your hammer sent out, that this has caused some chemical warfare in your tank. The other inhabitants are perhaps caught up in the chemical "soup" caused by warring coral neighbours ?

What is your temps during the day. Mine was the same and i found that around 11am to 3pm my temps were running 28 deg.

Hey Guys,

Nothing is nipping them, I've moved a small hammer coral already.

How would I rectify the issues created by the torch and anemone etc ?
I can't see any issues using my test kits.

Would a huge water change work

Thanks for all the replies.

I've got a fan on the tank, temp pretty constant at 25 degrees. Sorry, missed that in the previous reply.

I've only started Vodka dosing again yesterday. 1.5ml per day in a 110l nano cube. Should I water change and increase dosage.

If it was my tank I would stop dosing the vodka coz your nitrates are already low...then I would add activated carbon to remove the possible chemicals if the is warfare going on between corals... Also as above I would check calcium and alkalinity and get the petshop to test for phosphates using a Hanna checker if possible

Ok cool, will change the carbon in my filter media. Maybe a water change too ?

Yeah you can... I wouldn't do more than 20% as that may stress the corals even more ... Again this is what I would do but others may have other opinions :)

Ok cool, will change the carbon in my filter media. Maybe a water change too ?

Gus, whilst a water change may help you need to identify the source of the problem, you need to take some other actions as well. Otherwise you are merely treating the symptoms and not the root cause. Also, I agree with Trev92 that you need to be cautious about too large a water change. This may swing the parameters too quickly, thereby stressing the already unhappy corals further.

There could be a host of reasons why your corals are sulking, ranging from water parameters being too low or high on trace elements, minerals etc. to warring between corals due to proximity or even too high or too low temp.'s

My suggestion would be to do a WC , but also to seperate the hammer & torch with a reasonable distance to Xenia's , Zoa's and the nennie ( PS. Both Torch and Hammer can send out very long sweeper tentacles) Observe whether the appearance of the corals improves. Stop Vodka dosing until the conditions improve.

Just a few thoughts.....;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gus
Hey guys,

Thank you all for the awesome advice. I think we are winning. Have done 2 small water changes of 10 liters each and the corals seem a bit happier.

I've also replaced the carbon in my filter so that should help a bit too.

I've stopped the vodka dosing as well and thanks for the chart. When all is well again I will start on those dosages for 30 gallons.

Thanks again guys ... You all rock.

Good to hear it's on the mend.
I've stopped the vodka dosing as well and thanks for the chart. When all is well again I will start on those dosages for 30 gallons.
There are different charts depending on the strength of the vodka you use, and the differences are quite large, so best to research properly before starting again. For example, if you're using Russian Bear vodka then you'll need the 80 proof chart where the dosage is half of the 40 proof chart. More info here - Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

Last edited:
I'll have a look and write a post tomorrow about the state of the tank.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom