Tank moving home and city.....

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Noweeds, 28 Feb 2012.

1. Noweeds

Noweeds

Hi all,
    In the next week to two weeks I'm relocating from the Strand in CT back to the city of my birth East London......this has all happened rather unexpectedly and in all the chaos I have only now thought about my tank and the panic is setting in!!! Any advice or words of wiasdom as to the best way to go about relocating a tank and live stock to a new city???

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

First, what volume of water are you talking about?
    Nano, simple, just do it

1000L, not so simple

4. Noweeds

Noweeds Thread Starter

Its a std 4 foot - 1.2 x 45 x 45
    My biggest concern is timing and the best way to transport live stock live rocks and corals etc and then how to house them while the tank matures again on the other side!!!

5. Noweeds

Noweeds Thread Starter

I really don't want to sell my livestock and start again....you know how attached you become to the little okes. I have a yellow tang, sailfin tanga, midas goby, 6 line wrasse, 2 clowns ,and 3 anthias one of which is almost finished his transformation into a male! Then obviously live rock and a bunch of corals.....nothing hectic mostly zoas, shrooms, kenya trees ,and some lps!
    So what is the best way to move all the children with the least stress....and as I said. - house them till the tank matures once set up again on the other side???

6. Blade786

Blade786

Good Luck with the move bro......

7. eddiead

eddiead

I had to do that when I moved from JHB to CPT. It is quite a stressful endeavor. If I had to do it again, I'd rather sell everything and start fresh. Just keep your hardware.
    I sold all my coral and kept the fish as I had a really nice collection. After all the effort and stress about getting everything timed and coordinated I lost all my fish in an incident with a stuck float switch.
    Almost quit the hobby after that. This hobby is all about patients and careful planning. If you start fresh with just your equipment you have time to plan things properly and settle into your new environment as well. Moving house and cities is stressful enough in itself.
    WOW that was a mouthful. Hope it helps.
    Good luck with the move.

8. Colin.68

Colin.68

Wow,good luck my friend,I'd just move 2 weeks ago and it's not easy,what I'd dit is made 40% new salt water mix in 20L drums 2 weeks before even starting to move,I then started to take out water from my tank and mixing it with the new water 10% every 2nd day and keeping it in extra drums,top up with RO but check ur salinity to.id tried to keep as much matured water from my tank as possible!try to put pumps or power heads in the mixing drums to keep ur water moving!the I'd decided that a Saturday morning was the best time!oya,I'd got 25 20L drums for the move!!started to pump my tank water in to the drums,when the tank hit half, 200L later,I started to move the corals in to the matured water and doing so withe the fish and live rock,then stared too pump the last water into more drums but stop at the last 20%,that gives u time to clean the substrate and pumping that into the drain!the fish where in the drums for about 2hours before I even started to fill the tank at new location!keep in mind to check the salinity the hole time,think of the move as a big water change too!2 weeks later every thing is back too normal exseped my sun coral,not even one white spot on my fish,just don't overcrowd the drums when putting corals and fish in drums!i think I dit it the hard way but the end result is worth it!!I'll post some pics to show!!!good luck...

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Could you not keep them at a LFS for 2 weeks. Rent one tank from them. And keep them there. Move hardware, set it all up and when done, Then go and collect your children.

Recent Posts