Tank Move - Durban to Pretoria

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Andreas, 26 Jun 2012.

1. Andreas

Andreas

Hi Guys,

So the long awaited tank move is rearing it's ugly head. I've decided not to sell my livestock and to try and continue building on from my current collection.

I've dedicated 3 days to complete this transfer and plan on using NSW on the other side of the world. I still have a couple of ideas that I haven't quite bedded down and would like to hear of your experiences/advise on such a move.

Firstly, what would be the best way of supplying power for a 300w heater and flow pump during the trip. I've been contemplating connecting up my inverter to the main battery and using the alternator to supply power thereto. The other idea would be to run a gennie located in the trailer with the tank/stand etc and running a power cord to the back of the bakkie:whistling:My concern around this would obviously be rain:p

My plan is to connect a 200l container up to 1 or 2 other containers, thereby allowing me to seperate the tangs and possible aggression during the move. A flow pump will circulate water from the smaller container/s to the main one where most of the existing liverock will be located. I'll fill these containers with existing tank water to minimise their shock of the new surroundings.

That's some of my thoughts for now. I've still got 1.5 weeks to plan this move so any thoughts will be appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited: 26 Jun 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

Why not just put the fish in bags like when you buy from LFS. They can survive up to 30 hours like that.

Or get a 12v air pump, Midas sells them. Connect that directly to your battery.

4. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

Place the bags in a polystyrene box and add a hot (or warm) water bottle (insulated from direct contact with the bags) to keep them warm enough.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Just do not switch off the car at any point. You be amazed how quickly that will drain your vehicle batteries.

Advantage of using using bigger drums with heaters is that you can leave the fish in there until you got the tank in place, even longer. With bags you got temperature drop and need to get them into the tank as quick as possible and re-acclimatize them.

Big problem is splashing, waves when going around corners etc... So you can only fill the drums between past half way and three quarters. A 1000L flow bin with big central lid / opening would work a lot better, with 500L in it.

If you want to, you can keep live rock in the container as well. More natural and with hiding places. BUT you do not want sushi. Must ensure that the rocks are stable, and do not move around at all. Whenever I moved fish, I done that and with good results. Only one incident with clown who somehow managed to scratched itself.

When will you be doing this big move? Next weekend?

6. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

If you going to put your ls in containers fill it to the brim & seal it off because every time you pull away, stop or take corners if it's not full it will be a washing machine or dangerous for you with the swaying around. It's a big & stressfull move for your ls so don't drive like a jackass take it slow & easy. I wish you all the best good luck

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

the problem with that is gas exchange.

The wave action should not bother the fish too much, there are bigger waves in the sea.

But yes you are right, if you do have live rock in the tank it could be a problem if it can move around.

8. Poobear

Poobear

how about sticking the rock together and to the bin with Pratley and creating a structure so rocks don't move

9. shaunn

shaunn

all i can say is good luck i moved 1 km up the road and that was stressful

10. andrewpalang

andrewpalang

I've just done an 800km move! Not fun and pretty stressful. I organized with an Lfs to keep all my stock for a couple days while I moved and set up the tank. This at least took the pressure of of having to set everything up as soon as u Rrive at your new destination and gives u a bit of time to set up properly.

11. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'm inclined to keep the fish in bigger containers. Total water volume 300-400l. If for any unforseen circumstances I can keep them therein overnight and move them over on the Sunday.

Will be doing it next weekend. The first move will offcourse be the furniture etc then I'll be heading back for the tank.

Riaan - You keen to give a hand moving the tank when I get there:p

12. shaunn

shaunn

depending were in Pta u are i mite be able to help only reason is i live in the westrand of JHB an it a bit far for me let me know

13. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

Shots. We'll be in Clubview - 60-70km if I 've got my bearings right:yeahdude:so it might be a bit far.

I'll be doing meaurement this weekend and just hope that the tank will fit through doors:p Otherwise I'll follow Prashaan's route and set the tank up in the garage.

14. the fish

the fish

hope all goes well with the move and all. will also lend a hand if still needed

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Depends on the day
    I'm down at Rocky Bay next week, coming back next weekend. Most likely Sunday.
    Clubview is not that far.

Just note, its wintertime. Coming up the container will get cooled down a lot on the back of the bakkie. Need to insulate it, with a couple of blankets wrapped around them, then some plastic in case it rains on the way. Else the heaters in there will work overtime.

16. chikaboo

chikaboo

Well well. .. The groot trek. .. I have a 1000ltr bin in Durbs if you need to use. . Also on your way back from PTa you more than welcome to pass NN and collect a few 60 and 90 ltre bins from me. You know I've moved plenty of LS like this. You also welcome to stop over on your way back for rest and a water change if need be. .. I even have a 6 foot B&B for them babies. .. Just shout...

Last edited: 28 Jun 2012
  17. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

Thanks Chiks. Will pop around next time and take you up on that offer:)

Gents - I require 2-3 okes to give me a hand with moving the display tank today. Anybody keen to spare 30min:p I'm in Clubview

Tank move went well. So far no loses. Will give a full update with pics:p when they are all in their new home.

18. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

Howzit guys. Anyone know #The Fish's and Lanzo(Dorry) pets contact no. I've lost Lanzo's and would like to give him a ring. Thanks

19. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Hi Andreas, sent you PM!

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Is the tank in place? or do you still need somebody to help?

I travelled back from Rocky Bay yesterday. Anyway, Dorry Pets contact info
    Contact Us

21. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

Shots.

Yip, managed to get some okes from the local Gas station to come give a hand:)

My worst fears were realised on Monday morning. Lost most of my fish (Sailfin/Yellow/Flame and many more). The only ones to survive were the Regal Tang, both Common Clowns and a Angel. Not very chuffed with myself atm. The main circulation pump somehow wasn't working on Monday morning. Think the livestock succumbed due to a lack of oxygen:(After 2 days everything seemed fine and the fish were very happy in the flow bin. Dark days for us.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2012
Recent Posts