Tank location

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by neo, 25 Jun 2009.

1. neo

neo

From the newest of you all.
    Now that I want to do this marine thing, a question on where to put my tank.
    I have id'd a place close to my front door, when the door is closed it is darkish but being so close to it there is a lot of light when opened, also, would a breeze blowing in be a problem for the tank?
    This spot is nice as I can drill the wall to a store room and have all my sump stuff and electrics on the other side of the wall.
    Would the moister from the sump be a problem in the store room as there are some food stuff in the store room?:whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I welcomed you in your other thread. Can't see that it will be a problem close to the door, infact it should help in the summer months for a bit of cooling ;)
    It's great to have a little fish room for all you stuff - a lot of guys want one. If it's a problem because of the food, take the food out! Reefing is addictive and more important than food, you'll see.
    You'll sit in front of the tank and your wife will call you for supper just to get shouted at 30min later as you're still sitting there looking at the wonderful life growing inside :)

4. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Neo

Welcome ...see i didnt welcome you on your other posts. I also live in centurion and used to have a tank located close to my front door. It didnt work too well in my opinion due to the following.

Our area gets very hot in summer & the heat & maybe sun coming in from your front door
    could create heating issues in summer. Same is said for the direction the "back" wall is facing ie westerly walls heat up badly in summer etc. Obviously the opposite goes for winter. Seeing that you have food in the store room i take it the temp does however not fluctuate too much.

A lot will also depend on your tank size as Large tanks = more stable(larger volume of water cools down slower)

As for light...you will be buying lights...so i dont see issues there 9unless you want to keep cave fish;))

Good luck ...feel free to give me a shout if you want to pop around to look at my setup before going to the LFS's in our area

5. neo

neo Thread Starter

Hi,
    The store room divides the house into the kitchen and living room so its pretty much in the middle of all things and temperature is more stable than anywhere else, temp inside the house is cool in summer, bit krisp in winter but thats what the heaters are for, think I will do the sump under the tank first to see if the location close to the door works.
    Will the growth in the sump in any way be harmful to the food stuf?
    Now for the tank design.....

6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

The tank placement sounds like a good idea, although you must take the things mentioned into consideration ;)...

Just a big big heads up here. You mentioned "first placing the sump below..." Int his hobby, your plumbing and engine room needs to be done quite permanently. You "upset" the system if you move it all around often. You are very fortunate to have a room like this, so I'd go for it from the get go. It is a nightmare to move stuff around!!

The stuff in the sump won't do anything to the food... Although, I would buy two or three extractor fans from builders and fit in the room ceinling just to help with evaporation and dampness in there, otherwise your sugar will become a nice big block!:)

Alternatively, you can "close" of the engine room side in the room, dividing the room even further with some drywalling and a door...

But make a plan dude, you have what we want. So keep the food in the garage rather!!! ;)

7. neo

neo Thread Starter

Thx all,
    Jaco, will keep that in mind,
    This forum/site is great, wish I had something like this when I started out with my Boerboel, would have saved me lots of trouble:nono:.

Going to measure the walls and fire-up some CAD this weekend (hope I still have the program) and try to load a pic of what I intend to do.

I have one other very nice problem, the kids are going to be more excited than I am, seeing that they are forever bringing home all kinds of bugs....:thumbup:but getting them to wait the 2-month cycling time, oh boy....

:wave2:

8. inflames

inflames

Welcome to Masa Neo...are you the chosen one?!?!:razz::razz::razz: prodigle son or something like that!!! Any way good to have you on board! I have to agree that set the sump permanantly!! So you are not gonna be moving house for a good few years!! I have my tank fairly close to my "front door" and it does help for the warm summer months.

I would go for the bigger volume tank that fits the area and the sump must be able to fit all the gadgets that need to in (protein skimmer, dsb, ats, return pump, heaters, cheato...and the list goes on!!) Like the guys said the more volume the stable the system.So check back with MASA and get all the best advise! And read, read, read before spending a cent ad take it slow!

Look forward to seeing the pictures!!:thumbup:

9. neo

neo Thread Starter

inflames, chosen one i wish
    Joined up with the name when I had to choose a network shortname at a previous job just as the matrix movie came out, my normal one was NET (initials and first letter of surname) but this was already taken so i had to choose another, saw the movie on friday and chose the name that monday.

My measuring tape told me some nice things,
    will promote this to another thread about tank size a bit later.
    Thx for all the tips, will consider them all, will also read much more as everytime I think I'm starting to understand something new pops out.

:wave2:

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I'm a bit late, but WELCOME to MASA and to this great hobby all the same...

The location sounds fine - it's really a bonus if you can have a "sump room" on the other side of the wall.

I do think that moisture could be a problem if you have food in the same room, though - Don't know for sure, but I think you should keep it in mind. a small extractor fan, venting to the outside, will go a long way in mitigating this problem.

Buy each of them a torch, and a strong magnifying glass - that should keep thim busy for a month or two, "discovering" new life forms in/on the live rock. If you have the cash, and they are old enough to appreciate it, buy a microscope as well...

Hennie

Recent Posts