Tank in the planning

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by DudleyD, 23 Dec 2010.

1. DudleyD

DudleyD

So guess what?!
    After 18 mnths my tank has "got" too small - damn salt water makes everything shrink!!!
    So with the wife being preggies I am faced with either starting an additional nano type or going bigger.
    She bought me my chiller and LR so is cool with the whole marine issue - well at least until now.
    So with this in mind I have now for the first time got to convince her that it is money well spent.
    Now the question I ask is what do you guys think, Current tank is 1250x 600x600. Should the new one be 1500x900x600 or 1800x600x600. I pesonally think that the width will be more pleasing to the eye that the length. Also the 1500 length will allow me to use my existing equipment especially the lighting units.

Any thoughts?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

That sounds awesome I would go with the 1500 as the width will help a lot with scaping also because of the equipment issues.

4. magman

magman

go big or go to Durban!!! The 1500x900 sounds awesome, you can get a few nice angels in there!!!

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

1500x900x600 or 1800x600x600

Depends
    Where will the tank stand. Normally a tank is placed about 100mm away from the wall. OK, that depends on the plumbing. So let us say between 50 and 100mm. Take masking tape, and mark out a box on the floor. See for yourself how far into the room a 900mm wide tank will intrude. Can you still walk past it? It does not take over the room? Also measure your reach. 900mm is just too far for me. I'm 1.8, and I can reach 800mm So I will not be able to reach over your 900mm to touch the back glass. And I am in proportion, do not do a night job at the local circus.
    Anyway, that is not even reaching into the tank, to the bottom at the back. Believe me, one day a price new frag or coral will fall down the back of the tank, And you will not be able to retrieve it. My big tank is 1.5 by 750 by 750. I had to drain 400L out to retrieve a zoa colony. Been there, done that. Got the wet T-shirt.

And will your light units be able to fit on a wider tank? current tank is 600 wide. Proposed is 900. Maybe not, And you anyway have to replace it.

So far I did not tell you anything you want to hear...

Unless your 900mm is a room divider setup. Then 900mm will be awesome, even wider, yeah baby yeah.

The other option you got, 1800. Now we talking. Length does matter.... Tangs, hmmmm. But then you must get new light fittings. Skimmer etc, you anyway have to replace / upgrade.

tough choices.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2010
  6. magman

magman

We use braai tongs,

Brad, Do you want quotes?

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yup 1800 x 740 x 600wh is a lovely tank. Fits through most doors for installation and perhaps a move one day...

If the tank is to be viewed from both sides, like in a room divider then go for the 900 wide tank. easier to aqua scape. If the view is from one side 750 is very acceptable with the 600 height.

We have tanks of similar dimensions to both of your dimensions. All work well. Go with what the area the tank is going into, that pleases the eye. Do not be to imposing as huge tanks in small areas are mostly unattractive.

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

the 150*90 would be awesome but NJ mentioned it should ideally be a room divider as i went to see a 120*90 tank and with that width it was HUGE and not practical for my lounge and it was too big

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

10. DudleyD

DudleyD Thread Starter

The way the tank will be set up will allow me to access it from the back have a odd section in my lounge that was just made for the setup I want. Tank is out of the wat but still a prominent feature. Have about 1.5m x 2.5m space behind it - my "work room".
    My lighting units have 4 T5's each and are currently a bit crampted so should be ok for 900.

Will start the project at the end of Feb.

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

sounds great! keep us posted and dont forget pics!

12. DudleyD

DudleyD Thread Starter

My new tank

Well six months later - a bit of a delay due to a new addition to the family - I eventually took delivery of my new tank. 1800*700*600 center overflow. Got the stand sorted and between my brother in law and myself managed to get this into the livingroom. I will be using my existing lights with geissmans and just adding two additional units also with geissmans on the sides. Currently have a Buble Blaster and two aqua medics on standby. Just figured out the right setting on the Turboflotor 3000 and very happy with its performance. May start up with the BB using my 100*50*50 sump. Have a phos reactor and a smaller one for carbon.

I scrubbed and "cooked" my live rock that had bryopsis and has been in darkness for 4 months. Will run a bit of ozone through it for the next few days while the tank is filling up and the put it in the new tank. When all the livestock has been transferred I will cook what is left for about 4 months as well.

I have an odd corner in my house which I have placed the tank and have a nice area to work in behind the tank. Enough for a small frag tank and hospital/QT. Have to get a 1 HP chiller soon - well before mid november. My wife is watching the $$$.

Will post some pics tomorrow.

13. DudleyD

DudleyD Thread Starter

Some Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. DudleyD

DudleyD Thread Starter

Will move the sump over on thursday and fit the pumps, skimmer etc.
    My existing tank will need to stay where it is until the fish have been transferred. Have prodibio start up so am not too sure how long to let it cycle?

Once my old tank is out I will have enough space for a QT and maybee external fuge or DSB. I have about a 2mx 1.4m area behind the tank as a work area.
    Woodwork will be done once all has been set up.

Area behind tank:[​IMG]

15. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    That's a leka size tank for a little reef. Ouch bryopsis that's just nasty to get rid of even with cooking it. I sun dried most my LR after a good scrub then had to re cycle & seed the LR again but the LR that was just cooked has the shit growing back. Anyway Good Luck & congrats with the new addition to your family:thumbup:

16. DudleyD

DudleyD Thread Starter

Thanks. How long did you cook the LR for?
    Getting me worried.........think I should just get new rock?

17. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

About 4 months & the bryopsis has just resurfaced but the sun dried LR is still ok for now.

18. DudleyD

DudleyD Thread Starter

Was told to wack it with ozone to kill off any possible spores - hope I dont have it return.....almost packed up.

19. DudleyD

DudleyD Thread Starter

Lighting

Well the wife says she wants MH. So back to the drawing board - what the wife wants she gets....think she may pay for it????

Well just bought 8 geissmans - still unused. Well anyway looking at a 3x 150w MH pendant with 4 x 54w T5's.

20. DudleyD

DudleyD Thread Starter

Hit a bit of a snag when transfering my sump - got a leaking pipe from my overflow which could only be fixed by draining the water from my current tank. Had added rock and prodibio start up in the new tank a few days before so had no other option but to transfer the fish:(. A week later and fortunately no losses and all seems to be going suprisingly well. Wanted to cycle the tank properly and add the fish over 2-3 months but didnt pan out the way I planned it. Did some very nice scapping - will post some pictures.

21. SCOOBY

SCOOBY SCOOBY

PiCs!!!

Recent Posts