Tank in Tank

i personally would make a stand made of pvc pipes and elbows,just to be on the safe side ;)

Thalion, why do you want it suspended ?

The reason is that I will have about 25cm free space below the skimmer. So if I put the Skimmer inside a smaller tank and then suspend it in the bigger one I can make use of the space below it for LR. I want the incoming water to be skimmed first and allow any debris to settle before it goes to the LR. I don't have the space to put the smaller tank outside. I hope this makes sense.

thalion can't you mybe make a pic on paint?
I'm a boerseun and my images in my head can't connect what your trying to say.:p

The reason is that I will have about 25cm free space below the skimmer. So if I put the Skimmer inside a smaller tank and then suspend it in the bigger one I can make use of the space below it for LR. I want the incoming water to be skimmed first and allow any debris to settle before it goes to the LR. I don't have the space to put the smaller tank outside. I hope this makes sense.

Sounds like a good idea to me, any settling chamber/fall out area is to be preferred above mechanical filtration. Removing after settling must be kept in mind as well.

this is a first for me?
It looks to me that it can work.
Just remember, rock and glass ... not good friends.(just stating the obvious)
Good luck, keep us updated!!:)

It will work. In fact I suspect your skimmers performance will increase with that box. Wastes are concentrated in a small area for the skimmer to remove. You will nedd to slow down the water going through this box, increasing the time the skimmer has to do its job.

Some thoughts: Why the chaeto and not a dsb?
I suspect the first baffle is way too high. Personally i would lower it, to ensure more water reaches the first compartment. With reduced flow to improve skimmer efficiency, you will sacrifice the liverocks efficiency as a filter. (possibly becoming a nutrient trap) You will be amazed at how much crap is missed by a skimmer, and this will settle into the pores of your liverock. Maybe adding some pumps in there would help.
Personally I would remove the liverock and use the chamber as a settlement area, then do liverock followed by a dsb or chaeto.
Also, if drilling is an option, I would have the skimmer chamber overflow drilled and directed towards the beginning of the first bottom chamber.

Nice Thalion. Looking neat and professional

I can see water coming in ; but cannot see the oveerflow.?

See you experimenting with the skimmer necks of the am1000. I found that the only way i could get the longer one to work was to restrict the amount of air coming in.

Nice Thalion. Looking neat and professional

? It is a mess at the moment.

I removed a reducer in the pump so now I have more flow, so I had to extend the neck.

The "over-flow" is on the right, the pipe above the pump.
Had to do mods on the stand and got the height about an 3cm wrong, but it still works.

Back
Top Bottom